Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I still haven't experienced what it's like to hook my iBook up to an external monitor but since I have recently ordered a Dell 2005FPW I figure it's time for me to ask a few questions to prepare for it's arrival. :D

How is the performance overall when mirroring? How about the performance when you enable screen spanning (using the hack, of course)? Do things get choppy? Will I notice speed problems if I start watching DVDs? Do the iBooks heat up a lot when mirroring or screen spanning? Does that mean that my fans will constantly be on? I've heard many complaints about Expose and Dashboard. Does that mean that both of these services are pretty much useless when using an external display?

Oh, and my iBook's specs are in my signature.

Thanks in advance.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Well everything is fine with the screen spanning doc. Thats a pretty big monitor you got there and i can't really speak for it but DVDs play fine and the ibook won't burn when playing one.

Sometimes expose will get a little choppy but not that much of a notice....you should be fine.

Bless

Suspended
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Well provided it aint DVI it will run perfectly (correct me if I m wrong, but from what I have been told the iBook has a mini-VGA output only)...

Although I would take it out during 3D games, otherwise your graphics processor is hit a bit hard, and performance will drop.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
When people say that Exposé and Dashboard gets choppy they just mean that the animation you get when activating the function has very few frames. They work fine, but it doesn't look as pretty.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Well the Dell isn't scheduled to arrive until next Tuesday so being the impatient little dolt that I am I decided to test out screen spanning on my old NEC 19" LCD.

HOLY SHMOLY.

It was absolutely beautiful. It wasn't slow at all! Expose and Dashboard slowed down a *little* bit, but honestly I could barely notice it. Also, my iBook wasn't even phased by it! It didn't get any hotter than it normally would! I'm so pleased with this firmware hack.

Allright.. on to some other questions, I guess..

For the other 2005FPW users out there. How do you rate your LCD's performance? What things do you like about it? What things do you hate about it? Any comments or suggestions for me?

Thanks again.

:D

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Bump. Recieved it today. Everything is absolutely beautiful except for one extremely annoying thing. There is severe backlight leaking at the corners of the screen evident when I use a dark background or watch a DVD.

:(

I know a substantial number of users here on MR have 2005FPWs so I figure some of you out there have experienced this as well. I was hoping if you guys could tell me what to say to the Customer Rep. to get them to replace this bloody thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.