Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcuserx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Is an airport card enough to wirelessly contact a printer? Or do you need to hook the printer up to a base station?

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
You need more than an airport card to hook up to a printer. Because the printer is not capable of sending/receiving wireless communication it will need to have a wire connected to it. This wire can come from a computer or a base station. For example, I have 2 macs, a tower and a laptop. I connect the tower to the printer with a wire. I connect the laptop to the tower using 2 airport cards. Now I can print from the laptop.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Unless you have a special wireless (802.11) printer (and I'm not even sure these exist) you would need to attach the printer to the base station. Only the newest AirPort Extreme base stations support this (and then only for certain USB printers). The easiest solution if you have an unsoported printer, or an older base station would be a print server (a small box to connect the printer to the network) and a wireless adaptor if required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.