Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
A friend's 15Gb 3G iPod had just died, and I want to replace the HD for him. What form factor do I need? I know it's a 1.8", but checking my purchasing options, I can buy both 1.8" and 1.8" x 1/8" models - can I use either of those?

Also, will any off-the-shelf drive of the correct form factor work, or do I need a specific model? The Wikipedia entry for the iPod indicates that the Toshiba 1.8" drives use a proprietary connector, which got me concerned that I could end up buying a drive with the right form factor, but the wrong sort of connector.

I've Googled around a lot of iPod repair sites, but I haven't found the answers I'm looking for. Any assistance greatly appreciated!

ipodrocker

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
that wa happened to my iPod too, you could look around on eBay sometimes ppl sell hard drives on there

AVR2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
I don't want to mess around with eBay - I could buy one over the counter right now if I only knew what specific form factor I need!

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
The hard drive specs have to match EXACTLY with your iPods hard drive.

If not your iPods firmware will just ignore it.

The iPod can be a very difficult beast to fix as it was never meant o be opened by the end user.

Best advice is to consider buying an exact dead model from ebay, dead screen, dead connecters, dead battery - that sort of thing and swap out the hard drive.

Or, do the much more intelligent thing and wait until 1st April, when the new iPods are out! Probably be cheaper to buy new than fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.