PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 and high Room temp?

jamesmcd
Mar 18, 2006, 03:45 AM
Hi all,

Recently, my father's Powerbook G4 667Mhz (the old bugger), has been acting unstable. He is in Africa at the moment and we were wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that the room temperature where the PB is located is around 45+ degrees Celsius... that's 113+ Fahrenheit for you yanks!

Any ideas what the max operating temperature for these machines are?

Cheers.

exeterbohemian
Mar 18, 2006, 04:22 AM
according to the manual that came with my powerbook (rev. d) the operating temperature specified by apple is 50 degrees to 95 degrees F (10-35 degrees C). so i wouldn't be surprised if the heat was affecting the machine. what do you mean when you say 'unstable'? is the machine getting kernel panics, randomly sleeping/shutting down, etc.? you may be able to remedy the situation by making sure you're running the machine on a well-ventilated surface.

jamesmcd
Mar 18, 2006, 04:36 AM
Yep, the laptop was doing all sorts of crap.

Mostly things like; random kernel panics, screen doing random dancing lines in front of you, fan going constantly (literally- never off) etc.

At one point, the laptop refused to startup and simply sat there with the sleep display light on...
Eventually it let him start up.

I just talked to him, and he has since moved to a cooler climate, and the powerbook is behaving as it should.

So I guess it was the heat.