Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StacyJohns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
boulder/gilpin colorado
After being a mac user for over 10 years I had to buy a Windows laptop for work. I'm a realtor and my local MLS supports only IE on XP. The last 16 months have sucked. I must confess I am not a sofisticated user, I just want my computer to work with minimal hassle.

Is the dual boot scenario the one for me or should I wait for a new version of VPC? Like I said all I need is IE on XP to access my MLS service. I have no tech skills and truthfully dont want to have to hack my way along blindly.

Please, someone a little guidance here

much thanks,
Stacy

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Were in similar situation.

All our office applications, have been successfully adapted to mac, even al our accounts etc.. BUT our bank only offer access to our business account if accessed through IE6.. Having to keep a pc just for that purpose is a royal pain.

Hopefully Virtual PC 8 will arrive sometime this year with near native speed on intel macs, the dual boot option may work, but at the moment it's a bit of a pain - drivers not working and such....

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
VPC might be the better solution for several reasons. 1) you only need IE. 2) you don't want to hack. 3) the fans don't seem to work with XP and the computer can overheat. If you have a MBP especially this can be bad.

If you only need it for IE, dual booting might be to much of a hastle. If you can wait, wait.

-yankeefan

edit: macrumoruser got to some of it before me. (mostly the being hard part).

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
MacRumorUser said:
BUT our bank only offer access to our business account if accessed through IE6.. Having to keep a pc just for that purpose is a royal pain.

beter idea, enable the "debug" menu in Safari (can't remember how you do that, i think with a free app called "safari enhancer") and then you can have Safari pretend to be Windows IE6, which should solve your problem.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
evoluzione said:
beter idea, enable the "debug" menu in Safari (can't remember how you do that, i think with a free app called "safari enhancer") and then you can have Safari pretend to be Windows IE6, which should solve your problem.

tinker tool is what you are thinking of. if not, it works.

i'm not sure how well that works. If it works, then good. but it seems to easy. i don't think it can be.;)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I use VPC four access to our local MLS as well as PicturePath.com where I upload virtual tours to Realtor.com. The MLS also has Citrix access for Mac's which is pretty cool, but I just stick with VPC. It's a pain, but just a part of my workflow now. I suppose if I was a realtor and had to access the MLS a lot, I would think hard about staying on a Windows box. Glad I'm not a realtor ;)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
evoluzione said:

Quit Safari.
Open Terminal.
Type "defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1" without the quotes.
Press return.

Open safari, you'll see the debug menu.

If you want to turn it off, just do the same thing but with a "0" instead of the "1".

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
use both. vpc when it comes out will be a better option for the 'just make it work' side of the equation. in the meantime, stick the pc on the network, get and install vnc, and use chicken-of-the-vnc to control the pc. same idea as vpc, just a lot faster. uses more energy i guess would be a downside, but my pc is in the basement helping reduce my heating bill right now, so not all bad.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/chickenofthevnc.html

download can be found here. on gigabit, it's as fast as sitting in front of the pc, but sitting in front of the mac makes me feel better ;)

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
evoluzione said:

I do believe that safari can only pretend to be Win98/IE6, not XP (dont ask me why). If that's not an issue, theres still the issue that the website may actually require something in IE that isn't in safari, like *shudder* activeX.

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
You could set up a Windows machine somewhere where you have access to it, and use the RDC client for OSX to log into the windows machine, and use it as needed.

I use the RDC client to control our servers and my Windows desktop when on the OSX box, and I use VNC on the Windows machine when I need access to my OSX servers and OSX workstation.

This is only good if you have access to a Windows XP box or server with terminal services installed. It does work well.

-Mike

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Debug

evoluzione said:

This simply doesn't work for MLS unfortunately - been there - tried that. There must be some code in XP itself that these web sites check or use. It should be against the law!:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.