PDA

View Full Version : 12in PowerBook @ .edu store for $1499?

JordanShapiro
Jan 30, 2003, 10:04 AM
I'm setting my sights on one of these cool aluminum babies but I keep seeing scattered reports that it's available from certain .edu stores for $1499, while the ones I've "tested" have all been $1699. I'm not complaining about the $100 off (there's the Airport Extreme card!) but if I can save $200 more, I think I'd cry.

Can someone point me to where I might find that fabulous discount?

Thank you!

Jordan

thekaiser
Jan 30, 2003, 10:25 AM
Jordan

They are probably most likely talking about the apple student developer discount store. This requires that you become an apple student developer. The cost is 99 dollars and you get about 20 percent off of your first purchase. I am a member, but I have not bought a machine with the discount yet. However, I will buy one before I leave college. Good luck!

drastik
Jan 30, 2003, 10:30 AM
Apple store online. go to apple.com, click on store. At the top is a menu bar that has education written on it. Click that. You have to click the product to see the price, and you can't get the deal at a reseller like Compusa, but some smaller shops will honor it.

Das
Jan 30, 2003, 10:34 AM
Well, at the medical college here in So Cal, they go for $1569. The fact that I don't even go to the college (my mom works there and gets discounts) makes it even better. Not to mention software, Flash mx for 99, illustrator for 99, Photoshop for 299, and pretty much every apple software at half price (e.g. keynote for 50).

MacBandit
Jan 30, 2003, 10:39 AM
Well the Apple student price is $1,699 for the base 12" PowerBook.

If you are a EDU purchaser the price is 1,499. In theory this is also the price you could get if were a teacher or prof at this school.

JordanShapiro
Jan 30, 2003, 10:50 AM
If you are a EDU purchaser the price is 1,499. In theory this is also the price you could get if were a teacher or prof at this school.

Well, I'm a part time teacher as well as a student... so where's my discount? :D

Seriously, how would I find that one? Not from the online store, I'm assuming...

thekaiser
Jan 30, 2003, 10:52 AM
Here is an attachment of the prices available to me as a student developer. You must also remember it cost me 99 dollars to be a member. However, if you purchase an expensive item the 20% discount is more noticeable (clearly).

Over Achiever
Jan 30, 2003, 10:54 AM
Apple recently redesigned their educational store splash page.

I'm fairly certain that the price you are quoting is the institutional price, which you have to buy for the school you go to.

The individual pricing is higher (in this case by a hundred bucks) ;)

Over Achiever
Jan 30, 2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by thekaiser
Here is an attachment of the prices available to me as a student developer. You must also remember it cost me 99 dollars to be a member. However, if you purchase an expensive item the 20% discount is more noticeable (clearly).
Remember the catch...you can only make one purchase over your lifetime...the 20% discount only applies once.

At least that's how I remember it.

MacBandit
Jan 30, 2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Apple recently redesigned their educational store splash page.

I'm fairly certain that the price you are quoting is the institutional price, which you have to buy for the school you go to.

The individual pricing is higher (in this case by a hundred bucks) ;)

This is true but often if you talk to your schools purchaser you can get your computer at that price also.

MacBandit
Jan 30, 2003, 10:56 AM

Just remember this is a one time purchase discount and can never be used again.

OverAchiever and I must have been writing the same post simultaneously.

thekaiser
Jan 30, 2003, 11:04 AM
Clearly it is only once in a lifetime becuase you are only a student developer for typically four years. They figure one machine for four years is sufficient. You are not considered a student developer after you leave school. Therefore, there is no catch, but a great deal for students in school like myself. Once you are out on your own they figure you will then be able to afford to pay full price since you now have a job...hopefully.

Tommy!
Jan 30, 2003, 11:07 AM
Anyone who works at Dartmouth (the college, hospital or any of their subsidiaries) can get the G4 12" for $1499. I think all you need is a friend that works at a college that uses macs, and you can get that discount.

JordanShapiro
Jan 30, 2003, 12:25 PM
Here is an attachment of the prices available to me as a student developer.

Since this seems to work out for me financially, how would I become a student developer?

Skandranon
Jan 30, 2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by JordanShapiro

Since this seems to work out for me financially, how would I become a student developer?

Go to Apple's Student Developer (http://developer.apple.com/students/) page for more info.

I'll soon be ordering my new APB and 23" Cinema display through the ADC store. Thank God for discounts! :cool: :D