PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 Battery Issue-Help please

brendan007
Mar 18, 2006, 07:26 PM
I've had my iBook G3 Dual USB for a while now and i am quite contempt with it but of course the battery started to go bad. I bid on one on ebay and i recieved it and it has been giving me some odd issues i hope one of you could help me with. here are the symptoms-

-I put it in and it claimed to have a 27% charge. i put it into sleep mode and the charger wouldnt turn orange, only green. i opened up the iBook and it said 100% full. odd but ok...

-I used it for 1:43 minutes and it was at 61% charge and it turned off! i plugged it into the charger and opened up the iBook and it said it was at 0%. im starting to get disapointed...

-i turned it off and plugged it in. it again wouldnt turn orange, only green and breifly orange then only green. :mad:

-I turned it on and it goes from green to orange every 20 seconds or so. it took 3 hours for the charge to get to 50%. Something must be wrong but i dont know what.

Someone help me please i dont want to have wasted $50. i hope one of you can help me it seems to be somewhat a good battery but i want it to work. thanks ill take anything

calebjohnston
Mar 18, 2006, 07:28 PM
Is your battery one of ones under the recall?

I was going to say try resetting your PMU, but I don't think that's right.

madjew, what is your expert advice?

brendan007
Mar 18, 2006, 07:58 PM
i tried reseting it. no such luck

mad jew
Mar 18, 2006, 08:51 PM
I was going to say try resetting your PMU, but I don't think that's right.

I'm no expert but I think this might help. However, not in isolation (as you found out brendan007).

First off, is there another battery you can use to check whether this is in fact a battery problem? All signs are pointing towards a bad battery but there's a chance it's a faulty logic board, adaptor or connector pin.

There's nothing you can do to bring a dead battery back to life but here's what I'd do all the same:

Take the battery out, put it back in. Make sure it's fitting nicely and there isn't anything that could be hindering throughput (dust, plastic or whatever).
Reset PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449) (done).
Flatten battery completely.
Charge it up as best you can, for as long as you can. Te important thing is that it gets to 100% eventually, even if you don't see it get that high. In other words, leave it charging for a day if possible, just to be safe.
Flatten it again.
Reset the PMU (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449) again.

Good luck with it. I don't know how successful this will be because as I said, there's not much you can do to resuscitate old batteries. :(

brendan007
Mar 18, 2006, 09:00 PM
I have a working battery so its not the computer its deffinately the battery. now get this. I reset the PMU and did everything else recomended. while waiting for a reply i put it in the freezer for the heck of it when i took it out at 33% at spiratic charging (green/Orange). Now i put it back in and its at 100% and i didnt charge it in the mean time. now i ask you, am i going crazy?

thanks for the help so far

mad jew
Mar 18, 2006, 09:09 PM
I strongly recommend not putting laptop batteries in fridges or freezers (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2032161#post2032161). It's not just the battery that can break. :(

brendan007
Mar 18, 2006, 09:18 PM
i certainly wont do it agin but i have no idea whats going on with my crazy battery. its working just like my original except its holding a better charge now. i cant think of anything else that is wrong. it says its at 93% right now and it goes into sleep mode fine. ill let you know when it dies again

ReanimationLP
Mar 18, 2006, 09:20 PM
I have this same problem.

What is flattening the battery? o.O

mad jew
Mar 18, 2006, 09:35 PM
What is flattening the battery? o.O

Running it until the machine falls asleep (you should get a warning about running on reserve power first). :)

brendan007
Mar 18, 2006, 09:42 PM
ok it died at around 80% without any heads up that it was low it just went to sleep. I plugged the power in and it turned on and its at 0% and its green and only orange sometimes. :confused:

mad jew
Mar 18, 2006, 09:45 PM
Sorry, but apart from the steps I mentioned earlier, I really don't think there's much you can do. I think it's time for a new battery. :o

brendan007
Mar 18, 2006, 10:16 PM
if it means anything it took about 15 minutes at 0% for it to go into sleep mode. im now folowing the instructions and chargning it in sleep mode and its going between orange and green which it only did when it was on. this is messed up

mad jew
Mar 18, 2006, 10:22 PM
Okay, well good luck but I don't have high hopes. FWIW, you don't have to sleep the machine as you're charging it. You can use it if you like. :)

brendan007
Mar 18, 2006, 11:02 PM
the only way it will spuratically charge is when its up and running. i think the internal clock of the battery is broken or something

ReanimationLP
Mar 19, 2006, 12:19 AM
the only way it will spuratically charge is when its up and running. i think the internal clock of the battery is broken or something

There is no internal battery inside of the iBooks. When there is no power for more than a minute, and the battery is completely dead/absent, it'll lose time.

brendan007
Mar 19, 2006, 10:26 AM
i know but the new battery that keeps messing up. i think it doesnt know how much charge it has or something. example: it said 0% for about 15 minutes, i just need to know how to set it back on track