PDA

View Full Version : 9700 arrival


ottonian
Jan 30, 2003, 01:48 PM
Today's ATI press release confirms the 9700 for the new powermacs but it's still not an available option on the cofig/order form @ apple.

Anyone know when the card [and the rest of my machine] will be available?

wormy
Jan 30, 2003, 02:13 PM
I called Apple Tues night to find out how much longer it would take a PM to ship if you ordered the 9700, and after being transfered twice and waiting an hour a guy said "I just dont know."

So not willing to wait to find out how long it's gonna be I ordered a PM with the cheapest graphics card (GeForce4 MX) and will replace it with the 9700 soon. Or maybe I'll wait for the GeForce FX.

Can anyone tell me about the upcoming FX. Wil it be better/faster than the Radeon 9700???

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 30, 2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by wormy
I called Apple Tues night to find out how much longer it would take a PM to ship if you ordered the 9700, and after being transfered twice and waiting an hour a guy said "I just dont know."

So not willing to wait to find out how long it's gonna be I ordered a PM with the cheapest graphics card (GeForce4 MX) and will replace it with the 9700 soon. Or maybe I'll wait for the GeForce FX.

Can anyone tell me about the upcoming FX. Wil it be better/faster than the Radeon 9700??? Toms Hardware just did a review on the 9700 which has been out in the pc world and the new fx which is about to come out. The tests were very interesting but in a nutshell the fx won but by such a slim margin you could say the cards were evenly matched. But then when you factor in noise and the fact that the fx takes up a agp and pci slot and heat I ( a geforce3 user) would say that the ati product looked more attractive! I would love to see how the 9700 on a single 1.42 would spec out but since you have to buy 2 in the powermac and dont think the new imac will be higher then 1 gig i guess ill just keep waiting for an ibm powermac!---also the ati was ahead in a few benchmarks.

MacsRgr8
Jan 31, 2003, 07:38 AM
I called Apple Store NL today to ask about a Dual 1.25 GHz G4. I wanted the Radeon 9700, and knowing it wasn't available instantly, I asked the salesman when. He had to ask several people and finally came up with: "dunno..."
So I asked him if it were possible to deliver the G4 with a Radeon 9000 and make an arrangement to send me the 9700 later, returning the 9000.
Nope.
The best thing I could do was wait until the 9700 would be shipping..... :mad:

wormy
Jan 31, 2003, 09:52 AM
Do what I did (above). Not only was my mac $350 cheaper, but I'll also be able to sell the GeForce4 MX on ebay to put towards the 9700- and my mac should ship by Tuesday (20" display is already on its way!). Good luck.

MacBandit
Jan 31, 2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by wormy
Do what I did (above). Not only was my mac $350 cheaper, but I'll also be able to sell the GeForce4 MX on ebay to put towards the 9700- and my mac should ship by Tuesday (20" display is already on its way!). Good luck.

This is also what I did when I ordered my Dual/GHz/DDR Powermac back in August. It's been a long wait but I think I am definitely getting the ATI9700. I like the FX a lot and I think it has the potential to be even faster with driver optimization but anytime you use it for games the fan kicks to high and it is very loud. Even Carmack complained saying that he usually doesn't care about fan noise but the FX is very loud. I might wait for the R350 the next revission of the ATI9700.

TyleRomeo
Jan 31, 2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit


This is also what I did when I ordered my Dual/GHz/DDR Powermac back in August. It's been a long wait but I think I am definitely getting the ATI9700. I like the FX a lot and I think it has the potential to be even faster with driver optimization but anytime you use it for games the fan kicks to high and it is very loud. Even Carmack complained saying that he usually doesn't care about fan noise but the FX is very loud. I might wait for the R350 the next revission of the ATI9700.

yeah macbandit is right, forget the FX card, its not even shipping yet, and by the it does the ATI 9900 will come out based on the R350 card. And then all you mac gamers will be drooling over that card. Anyone buying a current PM, i suggest just getting the stock card and wait about a year for the ATI 9900.

Tyler

MacsRgr8
Jan 31, 2003, 11:28 AM
I think I will do that. Thanx for the advice, guys.
:)