PDA

View Full Version : Broadband on powerbook

Dvluke5
Mar 19, 2006, 01:50 PM
Changed computer from Microsoft laptop to powerbook G4. Have been using AOL dial up and this works OK on the Mac however having trouble getting broadband. Looking for the best provider of broadband for my Mac. Bit of a novice on computers fullstop. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Dave L.

PlaceofDis
Mar 19, 2006, 01:52 PM
any broadband service provider should work without a problem. unless you need their software for something in particular.

iPhil
Mar 19, 2006, 01:55 PM
Changed computer from Microsoft laptop to powerbook G4. Have been using AOL dial up and this works OK on the Mac however having trouble getting broadband. Looking for the best provider of broadband for my Mac. Bit of a novice on computers fullstop. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Dave L.

You need to drop AOL if possible and go for the cable company Cable internet service :eek: .. Just make sure that the cable company gives you an ethernet modem .. Not usb modem.. ethernet speeds over usb is slow :o

Applespider
Mar 19, 2006, 01:57 PM
If you're in the UK, the only thing to really watch out for is the 'free' modem that many ISPs offer when you sign up with them. Some of them are USB-only rather than ethernet ones and your Mac might not play nicely with the USB ones all the time.

And again if you're in the UK, adslguide.org.uk has some very good price comparisons and message boards to find out how reliable/fast various ISPs are.

Dvluke5
Mar 19, 2006, 02:00 PM
I forgot to mention my location. I am in the UK. I was thinking of going for BT as they provide my telephone at the moment. Are there any dramas with this choice?

Applespider
Mar 19, 2006, 02:29 PM
I forgot to mention my location. I am in the UK. I was thinking of going for BT as they provide my telephone at the moment. Are there any dramas with this choice?

It does depend how much you are going to use it. BT are capped - and relatively pricey once you get to the 15/30GB options. They've also outsourced all their help to India (not a deal killer if they were cheap but the prices have stayed the same) and although Macs work with the service, their support isn't very Mac friendly. The price is more easily justified on a PC since they do throw in 'extras' but they're PC-only.

But, if you think you're only going to be a light user, then their 'Basic' and Option 1 packages aren't too bad. I've just left them for Be* since I was getting a better deal and better speeds.

AOL's broadband in the UK isn't all that bad - although there are some Mac quirks with it. For the money, it's uncapped and gets reasonable reviews in terms of

McScooby
Mar 19, 2006, 02:48 PM

Couple of pointers if going for BT -

In any case order online to get the modem free.

Go for opt 3 or 4 to get wireless option, as although the overall broadband service carries a 12mth contract the tarriff doesn't, so you can downgrade after even 1 day.

Although what applespider says is sort of correct, that they have capped services, it is only useage guidance, at the moment the guidance is only monitored on opt 4 and this is only picked up for very high users ie. folk on P2P using 80-100Gb or higher - the extra charge is currently £1 / extra gig of usage. If you are on 3 and go over 20 gig you will no be disconnected or chg extra - they will only contact you after approx 2-3mths useage.

Line speeds are being upgraded as of 1st Apr at no extra charge if your line and exchange can support it, to check go to www.bt.com/broadband and enter phone number.

Although tech help has been moved to Bangalore, there is always the opt of a tech desk in the UK if you prefer it.

Tiger is not supported via BT broadband, but that doesn't mean it won't work - when setting up service you are given an installer disc which won't work with the Powerbook, set it up instead using ethernet ie. zero configuration. If you have to phone tech tell them u are using panther.

All software is geared for a pc connection, whereas all I use it for is the mail and connection..

Lastly, personally, I'd leave it until after 1st Apr before you order.

ps. if you're looking for unlimited, you can put a business broadband service on a residential line which also gives you a fixed ip adress if you need it, prices start about £20 / mth ex vat if I remember correctly.

bartelby
Mar 19, 2006, 02:56 PM
My friend has BT Broadband (the wireless option) the modem/router has an ethernet socket as well as USB.
Wired and wirelessly it plays nice with my PB and her Vaio simultaneously.

To connect wirelessly all I had to do was enter the passkey once.
While it took my friend 20 minutes to get the Vaio to connect.

UKnjb
Mar 19, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hi!
I'm on BT (option 1) and have zero complaints. Everybody and their brother was tellign me to go to all of the other suppliers like Bulldog etc (cheaper, higher allowances etc) but they only seem to operate in Inner London and not out in Surrey where I am.
Like was reported above, there is no penalty for going over my 2GB 'allowance' and there have been no problems. I am not a downloader of stuff (music, videos or torrents), just up-dates from Mac, trial pieces of software etc and 2GB suits me fine.
FWIW, I use BT for my land-line anyway and couldn't be ar*ed to shop around for chiselling off a pound here or there - everything is so competitive now and BT is --- well, BT!
One 'reported' problem with BT, not met by me, is that if you reset your modem (or turn it off for whatver reason) then it may take a couple of power offs/ons to get reconnected to the Internet, as they have synchronicity reset problems. Apparantly this is a well-known fault, but as I say, I have not met it.
Good luck!