PDA

View Full Version : "pod".... i dont get it

rye9
Mar 19, 2006, 05:58 PM
What does Pod mean in iPod? I understand iMac is for Mac, iBook is for book(notebook), iTunes... tunes, etc...but not iPod.

Benjamindaines
Mar 19, 2006, 05:59 PM
It doesn't mean anything.

jkelly888
Mar 19, 2006, 06:07 PM
i think that the pod part ipod is like the ipod is a "pod" for playing music.

zap2
Mar 19, 2006, 06:09 PM
it's a pod for holding music, photos, Vids and Personal info

rye9
Mar 19, 2006, 06:12 PM

Oh, OK. I was gonna guess something like it stood for Personal something Device. I couldnt figure out something for "O". :D

stridey
Mar 19, 2006, 06:16 PM

Of course, when they named it it was a pod for holding music.

macOSX-tastic
Mar 19, 2006, 06:33 PM
no idea where it came from, but it sure is catchy! and obviously popular....:D

mkrishnan
Mar 19, 2006, 06:33 PM
It's a reference to Apple's dream that, in the future, people will live encased in pods, doing nothing but listening to digital music and surfing the web on pristine computers, all day long, for every day of their lives. Never, ever, seeing the outside light.

http://www.theoculas.com/images/oculas_homeoculas_bot.jpg

Chaszmyr
Mar 19, 2006, 06:38 PM
It's a reference to Apple's dream that, in the future, people will live encased in pods, doing nothing but listening to digital music and surfing the web on pristine computers, all day long, for every day of their lives. Never, ever, seeing the outside light.

Oh man, that sounds nice ;)

yankeefan24
Mar 19, 2006, 06:38 PM
Oh man, that sounds nice ;)

the best part of it is that it exists… and i want one badly.

Mord
Mar 19, 2006, 06:50 PM
i have one many times bigger with a pc a g4 cube and my ibook, it's called my room. :rolleyes:

stridey
Mar 19, 2006, 06:51 PM
i have one many times bigger with a pc a g4 cube and my ibook, it's called my room. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but if your room has windows in it, you're cheating. :p

Mord
Mar 19, 2006, 06:54 PM
i have thick curtains.

cycocelica
Mar 19, 2006, 09:02 PM

Sounds like an easy life.

whooleytoo
Mar 19, 2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah, but if your room has windows in it, you're cheating. :p

I blame winxponmac.com... ;)

Koodauw
Mar 19, 2006, 09:21 PM
If you look back at the responses from when it came out, it stands idiots price our devices.

MattyMac
Mar 19, 2006, 09:22 PM

now that is just plain scary

CoMpX
Mar 19, 2006, 09:40 PM

picture

What is this called? I wanna Google it.

DevilDog
Mar 19, 2006, 09:45 PM
OMG nobody even checked Dictionary??? Shame...

"a detachable or self-contained unit on an aircraft, spacecraft, vehicle, or vessel, having a particular function"

This one is less accurate though:

an elongated seed vessel of a leguminous plant such as the pea [or apple], splitting open on both sides when ripe. <???(maybe that's a hint for future iPods....)

mjstew33
Mar 19, 2006, 09:48 PM
Maybe a podcast? Even though they weren't on the iTMS, doesn't mean it can't be it.

Eluon
Mar 19, 2006, 10:08 PM
iPod = I Play on Demand ?

exeterbohemian
Mar 20, 2006, 06:44 AM
ipod is a self-contained enclosure that plays music, etc. think of it like as in agriculture. peas grow in pods. one pod contains multiple peas. now imagine your music, videos, pictures, etc. are all peas. and you can keep them all together in a single 'pod'. hence, ipod. as far as the 'i' is concerned, i attribute that to just being apple's moniker.

whooleytoo
Mar 20, 2006, 06:59 AM
Intellectual Property On Demand?
I Prefer Owning Ditties?
I Purchase One Daily?
I "P" On Dell?

neocell
Mar 20, 2006, 08:06 AM
Pod: a structure in which the contents grow, mature, evolve into something new, and usually greater, than whence it came

Seems appropriate enough

Chaszmyr
Mar 20, 2006, 08:19 AM
the best part of it is that it exists… and i want one badly.

Any idea how much these things cost? :D

mac.FINN
Mar 20, 2006, 08:38 AM
no no no...

Remeber Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Everyone who had one of those "pods" became distant and detached from the real world.
That's why it's Pod, because when you have it on you can't hear what's going on around you - or see if you're watching a show, and you don't pay attention. Thus detaching yourself from the world.

OMG Apple is really an alien invasion force!!!

:D

btw I own 2 iPods...beam me up Jobbie.

RBMaraman
Mar 20, 2006, 09:05 AM
iPod = I Play on Demand ?

You're pretty close actually.

In all seriousness, I read an article right after the iPod was introduced where Phil Schiller said "Pod" stood for....

Drum roll please....

Playlist On Demand

mkrishnan
Mar 20, 2006, 11:41 AM
What is this called? I wanna Google it.

An Oculas. There were briefly some co-branded ones at the time of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie, because it's something that fits that story's style so well. There might have *been* one in the movie (I haven't seen it yet).

Here:

http://www.theoculas.com/

Counterfit
Mar 20, 2006, 12:22 PM
You forgot about the part where they're powered by your body. :cool:

mkrishnan
Mar 20, 2006, 12:31 PM
You forgot about the part where they're powered by your body. :cool:

I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it is going to begin. :D