PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 17inch cancelled

Zman
Jan 30, 2003, 04:28 PM
Decided to cancel the powerbook 17inch today. March 28 seem like a long time to wait for the computer and it is a bit annoying that the new Powermacs will burn DVD's at 4x speed but the PB only at 1x. Please explain why the new powerbooks won't be able to burn 4x speed?. I don't plan on lugging my laptop around while it's burning a Disc so this seems like a poor excuse.
I'll wait until apple figures on truly updating the Superdrive and processor speed. USB2 would be nice.
Powerbook 17 is pretty nice but not quite there yet.
I'll keep using my pc, which I can't stand (I can wait another 6 months if I'm spending $3299)

Zman
:(

strider42
Jan 30, 2003, 04:50 PM
DVD burning speed is probably due to battery life issues. Just because you don't plan on using it like that doesn't mean others aren't. Could be a form factor problem as well, I can't be sure.

As for USB 2, who needs it. firewire and firewire 800 should be able to take care of all your needs.

I've got to say, you're issues with it seem fairly trivial. Doesn't sound like you really wanted the machine in the first place. And thats cool, I could understand being a bit apprehensive of dropping that kind of cash on a computer.

arn
Jan 30, 2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Zman
Please explain why the new powerbooks won't be able to burn 4x speed?.
:(

The Powerbook version of the Superdrive is much smaller/thinner and probably needs to run at a lower heat.

It will eventually increase in speed perhaps... but these small portable drives always lag the desktop models.

when the Powerbook drives reach 4x, the desktop drives will probably be at 10x

arn

Rower_CPU
Jan 30, 2003, 04:53 PM
Part of the issue with them using the slower SuperDrives is that they are the only company out there offering you a slot-load, laptop form-factor SuperDrive.

Check out PC laptop manufacturers. They're all doing 1x, too.

Zman
Jan 30, 2003, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the replies on Burn speed, the heat/battery/size issues make sense to me.

Zman

GigaWire
Jan 30, 2003, 08:11 PM
hmmm. I was under the impression they burned at 2x, not 1x...

Skandranon
Jan 30, 2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by GigaWire

Nope. 1x for writing DVDs. Check it:

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

SoonToGetAMac
Jan 30, 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by GigaWire

Yeah, at the original announcement there was a typo on the Powerbook page @ www.apple.com , now its updated. the drives actually burn @ 1x

cleanflix
Jan 30, 2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by WannabeSQ
Wont happen for a long time, they lowered the 2x rating of the 17" to 1x because of un reliability when burning when the laptop is moving. I think they should have some sort of gyro sensor that lowers the burn speed if you move the computer, and raises it when you are plugged in and stationary. Oh well.

This was a reply to my post about a similar question. Does anyone know more about this issue?

MrMacMan
Jan 30, 2003, 10:11 PM
Wow I have posted this over 3 times.

w00, getting kind of tired of this...

Apples First Press Release.

MrMacMan
Jan 30, 2003, 10:13 PM
Apple's Re-Release.

Notice how the burning speed suddenly decreased...

I read somewhere that while moving (and in test banging against the drive) would damage it and in some (but rare cases) the drive would malfunction.

sparks9
Jan 31, 2003, 06:42 AM
Buy a iBook instead. It's cheaper and who needs to burn DVDs anyway?

benixau
Jan 31, 2003, 06:57 AM
i do. but i got a pmac w/sd. MDD 2002 model, but hey! i dont know of any of my 140 odd buddies w/pcs who have the capability to burn em.

let alone run mac os x :D