PDA

View Full Version : Would it be silly to buy an iPod mini now?

florencevassy
Mar 20, 2006, 11:36 AM
I am getting tired of my iPod Shuffle because I really would like to have a screen and more disc space.

Due to a combination of being too cheap and wanting to wait for new iPods to come out, I think that a good compromise would be to buy one of the refurbished iPod minis that the apple store is selling. They are about $149.

My only concern would be the weight since I like to wear them around my neck. Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

Marky_Mark
Mar 20, 2006, 12:18 PM
A bit heavy I'd say. I thought that when I first got my Mini, but it gains sidewards momentum when you walk along and swings around like buggery. Comes with a really nice heavy-duty and very attractive belt clip though. I always thought they should have shipped one with the larger 'pods too. I could really do with one for my 5G

devilot
Mar 20, 2006, 12:34 PM
I agree.

I think a mini would be too cumbersome to wear around the neck. I know it's not as cheap as the mini, but through Amazon a Nano is still free shipping and NO sales tax. Right now the 2GB is right at $179, and the 4GB is $240. Sometimes they have a further reduction. Ooh, or if you use the A9 search tool a few days in a row (register for it first), then you get an additional 1.57% off. :o

StarbucksSam
Mar 20, 2006, 12:35 PM
Not at all - they are the best. I only sold mine b/c I was almost out of space. I'll buy a new iPod post 4/1.

florencevassy
Mar 20, 2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

micha10589
Mar 22, 2006, 08:16 AM
Since no one mentioned that - as the Mini has an aluminum body it is extremely scratch resistant and apparently very robust. Mine fell at least 5 times quite dramatically on a hard floor and it is working fine and apart from some bumps on the edges looks quite ok after one year. Also, sitting down with it in your trousers' pocket is something you will do without a doubt sooner or later. And this seems to be very hazardous for the Nano.

As I got some sort of pouch with a strap for it for Xmas I can report that I didn't find it too heavy to wear around the neck. At least with winter clothes (collar shirt and/or sweater).

One thing that annoys me about the Mini is - and that is a big Plus of the Nano - that it doesn't display the name of the album. I have a lot of CDs from some artists (e.g. R.E.M.) that I rediscovered through the iPod and it annoys me not to know from what album one particularly good song is. If you want to know you have to look at the title and then scroll to Artist and Albums and check every one of them. Tiring.

In any case the available disc space should not be an issue. With Autosync and rotating playlists (least recently played, low playcount etc.) 2GB are sufficient. I have the 6GB version and don't really need it.

topgunn
Mar 22, 2006, 08:29 AM
I have a iPod mini and I wouldn't trade it for any other iPod. The nano is too small and seems frail. The mini is an aluminum encased brute. It has been dropped a number of times onto concrete and tile without a mark to show for it.

Now, if I had to wear it around my neck, I might look towards the nano or shuffle.

Chundles
Mar 22, 2006, 08:44 AM
You should see some of the scratches on my mini, some good dings in it too.

Still keeps playing though - it's great but I'm lusting over a nano to replace it.

student_trap
Mar 22, 2006, 09:13 AM
for around your neck, go with a nano or a shuffle. Otherwise, go for the mini...its easily much better than the currect nano's.

Stampyhead
Mar 22, 2006, 09:15 AM
You can get a 1 Gig Nano for $149. Doesn't hold as much music as the Mini but would be a lot more comfortable around your neck.

Chaszmyr
Mar 22, 2006, 09:17 AM
for around your neck, go with a nano or a shuffle. Otherwise, go for the mini...its easily much better than the currect nano's.

Better how?
-Larger storage capacity? Okay, yes
-Smaller? No
-Lighter? No
-Better battery life? No
-Better screen? No
-More attractive? Subjective, but I'd say no
-More features? No
-Better conversation piece? No (People who have never seen a nano before are almost always impressed by how small it is)

mwpeters8182
Mar 22, 2006, 09:26 AM
The mini was rated at 18 hrs of battery life, and the nano at 12, so the mini does have better battery life.

I prefer my mini to the nano, which I used for about a week. I usually have it in my coat, so I don't really notice the weight difference, and I find the size to be what I'm looking for. Since I now have a shuffle for the gym, I'll probably replace the mini with a 30GB+ iPod in the future.

student_trap
Mar 22, 2006, 09:57 AM
Better how?
-Smaller? No
-Lighter? No
-Better battery life? No
-Better screen? No
-More features? No
-Better conversation piece? No (People who have never seen a nano before are almost always impressed by how small it is)

OK I was a little brief... so here goes...

-smaller/lighter: is relative, for me and some people I have spoken to, the nano is too small, yes its a marvel of technology, but I think that it is ergonomically flawed; it is too thin for its width, causing some to break in peoples pockets when sitting down etc. The mini was small/light enough for me (and many people), and felt solid in your hand. (I said in my original post that it is probably to heavy to wear round your neck)

-Battery life: Im sorry but your wrong here: the nano offers 14 hours http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodnano/ whereas the mini had 18 hours, which actually was a gross underestimate from apple, as it often achieved up to 26 hours (see www.ilounge.com)

-Screen: the nano's screen is better in that you can see the album name and album art, but I think that there was nothing wrong with the greyscale mini one, in fact, Im rather partial to the greyscale screens.

-More attractive- your right it is subjective, but Id disagree, again the nano is a wondrous piece of technology, but the mini is beautiful with its individual bright colours better resilience against scratches. In my opinion, the nano appeals to techno/gadget lovers because everything has to be small small small, whereas what your average person seems to like is to be able to pick from a range of colours, throw it around and listen to it.

More features: its a music player, everything else is bells and whistles. The games are a little pointless on a tiny screen (on both ipods), ok with the nano you can have world clocks and stuff, but these are superfluous - battery life and storage capacity are far more important. The nano does have a radio though, which is a useful bonus

Storage - mini is 2 gigs larger (but the same price), which enabled loads of people to just about put their whole library on it, the nano is a device that is too small for this...its in shuffle territory. Nano uses flash though, i think that this is actually one of its greatest redeeming features - having hard disks in portable decives has always struck me as a rather silly idea, intended to bridge the gap untill cheaper flash memory became available.

Better conversation piece - if you mean as a general remark on how technology is moving fast, while you pull out your old sony walkman from back in the day, then ok (the mini is just as much of a talking point from this point of view), if however you are talking about needing an ipod to impress, then remember you should buy for yourself, not others

OK thats it, remember that what suits better depends on your particular requirements, and if you want to hang it round your neck, get the nano, however if like me you don't mind the size, the mini is a really good option, and at its rebate price, it makes me wish I lived in america, because i would buy one in a flash!

topgunn
Mar 22, 2006, 10:04 AM
Like I said before, I love my mini and I would choose it today over any other iPod. However, another selling point of the Shuffle and Nano are the lack of moving parts. If you plan on jogging or spending a lot of time at the gym, the mini may not be the best bet.

alamar
Mar 22, 2006, 02:32 PM
A bit heavy I'd say. I thought that when I first got my Mini, but it gains sidewards momentum when you walk along and swings around like buggery. Comes with a really nice heavy-duty and very attractive belt clip though. I always thought they should have shipped one with the larger 'pods too. I could really do with one for my 5G

one nice thing about the mini was that you never really had to buy a case as the belt clip rocked and if you were careful the screen wouldn't get hurt. I'd buy one now, but not to put around my neck. I'd just get a new nano for that, and a mini just to hold wikipedia.

shadowmoses
Mar 22, 2006, 02:49 PM
get a nano instead, you won't regeret it, I have had mine since there launch and love it, its just so sexy and small......the mini's are getting old,

SHadow

sam10685
Mar 22, 2006, 05:55 PM
get a new Nano. the mini's are hard drive-based so it's bad to have the moving around alot. the nano (and the shuffle) are both flash-memory based, u could drop them from 20 feet up and not loose the data. (although, i don't think i'd recommend doing that.)

mrichmon
Mar 22, 2006, 06:57 PM
My only concern would be the weight since I like to wear them around my neck. Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

I suggest that your concern should be about the life of a mini swinging from your neck. The Shuffle and nano are solid-state devices that is, there are no moving parts at all. This makes them lightweight and resiliant to knocks, bumps and being swung around.

The regular iPod and the ipod mini contain a hard drive. The hard drive spins up every few songs to cache the audio data. Hard drives are mechanical and have some parts that are very, very close to the data surfaces. A bump at the wrong time can render the hard drive (and thus the ipod) useless.

eXan
Mar 22, 2006, 09:13 PM
It's never silly to buy something you like :)

mannix87
Mar 22, 2006, 10:27 PM
one thing i didnt like about the mini was the aluminum surface w/c scratched rather easily. that's why i had to keep it in a case most of the time. the back light is rather dim compared to the newer iterations of the iPod.

elisha cuthbert
Mar 22, 2006, 11:50 PM
Ive got 3 of the minis and they are the best ipods ive ever had and ive been through about 15 of them the only thing that bugs me is that they dont have enough space on them.

student_trap
Mar 23, 2006, 03:26 AM
you've been through 15 of them:eek:

elisha cuthbert
Mar 23, 2006, 03:49 AM
you've been through 15 of them:eek:
Not all minis
1x 5GB 1st Gen
3x 20GB 2nd Gen
7x 40GB 3rd Gen
3x 30GB 3rd Gen
1x 4GB Mini 1st Gen

redAPPLE
Mar 23, 2006, 03:55 AM
Ive got 3 of the minis and they are the best ipods ive ever had and ive been through about 15 of them the only thing that bugs me is that they dont have enough space on them.

that is what i call a Fanboy. dedication is what is missing in our society today.

elisha cuthbert
Mar 23, 2006, 04:13 AM
that is what i call a Fanboy. dedication is what is missing in our society today.

yea and all the stuff i had i paid for it all myself and i am only 16

student_trap
Mar 23, 2006, 04:14 AM
Not all minis
1x 5GB 1st Gen
3x 20GB 2nd Gen
7x 40GB 3rd Gen
3x 30GB 3rd Gen
1x 4GB Mini 1st Gen

oh ok, i thought you meant all minis:o

what drives you to buy so many? did they break, or are you just obsessed like me? I have:

20gig Colour
20gig 3G X2
Shuffle 512
(and will be getting a 1G mini in a couple of weeks)

elisha cuthbert
Mar 23, 2006, 04:21 AM
oh ok, i thought you meant all minis:o

what drives you to buy so many? did they break, or are you just obsessed like me? I have:

20gig Colour
20gig 3G X2
Shuffle 512
(and will be getting a 1G mini in a couple of weeks)

Half obsession but all of the 3G ones broke
oh and i forgot i still have a 512mb shuffle in its box (which im selling)

celebrian23
Mar 23, 2006, 02:18 PM
After much thought I decided to get a mini. First, my music collection is too small to warrant a 30GB ipod. Secondly, I just like the colors (I'm going to get a green one :p ). Thirdly, the nanos are just physically too small for my likes.

mrgreen4242
Mar 23, 2006, 05:07 PM
I have a iPod mini and I wouldn't trade it for any other iPod. The nano is too small and seems frail. The mini is an aluminum encased brute. It has been dropped a number of times onto concrete and tile without a mark to show for it.

Now, if I had to wear it around my neck, I might look towards the nano or shuffle.

The mini exterior is pretty tough, but the HDD is subject to fail like any drive. There are plenty that break from a small drop wrecking the harddrive. The nano, while it LOOKS frail is actually pretty tough. No moving parts helps that considerably, and when you add on a skin to keep it from scratching it's at least at tough, if not more so than a mini. I'd lean to more so, personally.

outcast311
Mar 24, 2006, 06:08 AM
After much thought I decided to get a mini. First, my music collection is too small to warrant a 30GB ipod. Secondly, I just like the colors (I'm going to get a green one :p ). Thirdly, the nanos are just physically too small for my likes.
I just bought a iPod Mini 2nd Gen (blue) 4GB with some sort of case and in great conditon for $110 shipped off of a forum. Search around, there are good deals to be had, and get the second generation, they have better battery life!
I got this to compliment my pocket PC (for watching Anime, VGA screen!).

celebrian23
Mar 24, 2006, 07:20 AM
I am definitely getting the 2nd generation! That battery power is superior to the first! I'm hoping to find a green 6GB, but a green 4GB would be good too. It'll be my first ipod, so the hard part is just waiting for the one I want at the right price!

StarbucksSam
Mar 24, 2006, 07:27 AM
Better how?
-Smaller? No
-Lighter? No
-Better battery life? No
-Better screen? No
-More features? No

I would like to respectfully disagree. The mini is a superior product to the current nanos.

-Larger storage capacity? By 50% on the 6 GB, YES
-Smaller? No
-Lighter? No
-Better battery life? Actually, yes. It's rated at 18 hours and attains it. The nano is a 14.
-Better screen? If you're talking about durability and quality, YES.
-More attractive? Subjective, but I'd say absolutely
-More features? No
-Better conversation piece? Are you buying a conversation piece or a reliable music player?

1macker1
Mar 24, 2006, 09:11 AM
I'd got a mini myself about a year ago, it has been stolen since then :(, but life goes on. If you go to Apple's site, they have a refurb section that you can get the mini, and it comes with the standard Apple warranty, for only 149 bucks. You can't beat that deal.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6034001/wo/aL12eO7Gsm3w3dNkuJu1y124KNh/0.0.19.1.0.8.63.0.0.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?91,62

princealfie
Mar 24, 2006, 03:16 PM
Of course not, I love the Mini. I still use the blue one a lot!

in2themystik2
Mar 24, 2006, 10:37 PM
I love my mini, and it has hit the ground several times unfortunately, but keeps on ticking. It does have a few dings, and somehow mysteriously was impailed on the front and has a little crack in the screen, which somehow happened over a weekend when i didn't even use it... :( Oh well, as long as it keeps working I suppose...

MUCKYFINGERS
Mar 25, 2006, 02:04 PM
editt