PDA

View Full Version : Flat Screen iMac Coming (seriously)

MacRumors
Jul 19, 2001, 06:42 PM
In this article: (http://news.excite.com/news/r/010718/21/tech-tech-apple-dc)

Chief Executive Steve Jobs, asked by analysts whether future iMacs would have the flat screens, declined to comment on products before they were announced but said, "We are absolutely headed in that direction as fast as economics would allow."

So, I guess keep an eye on the LCD prices... Another quote that I can't really tie to the surrounding text is a bit cryptic:

"I'm almost as proud of the products we haven't done as the ones we have"

Djk515
Jul 19, 2001, 08:38 PM
Tension builds towards San Fran 2002.

walls
Jul 19, 2001, 11:55 PM
This comment was in reference to a question posed to him about a possible Apple handheld. He responded with some comment about how sour that market has turned, and that he's "just as proud of the products they haven't made as the one's that they have." in reference to their restraint.

It's too bad that Jobs was overcome by his vindictive emotions when he canned the Newton. It was (and is still) the best handheld OS. [The OS even supported color FOUR years ago, it was merely killed before the hardware was ready.]

Kela
Jul 20, 2001, 03:10 AM
Yes. Although I wasnt an owner of the NEwton myself, I would like to say that shall Apple invent a new PDA which has all basic functions of the Cassopiea and add in compatibility or running either Windows CE or Newton OS, this alone could boost revenues 100 fold and overcome losses on other useless products such as the cube.

DJ Hoyt
Jul 20, 2001, 04:28 PM
Now why the HELL would Apple make a handheld AND PUT WINDOWS ON IT! Geesh, the whole point of Apple making a handheld is something that DOESN'T use Microsoft of Palm OS. They will be making a special Mac OS operating system. And you know they would be more fashionable then even the colored Handspring Visors. I am VERY much looking forward to Apple's new handheld which I think will be released just in time for Christmas =)

adelaney
Jul 23, 2001, 10:42 AM
Just before Christmas eh? And you think that because...? I wouldn't advise holding your breath. There hasn't been one for years and just because it's being talked about doesn't mean a thing. Apple branded handhelds are ALWAYS being talked about...HAVE always been talked about. Personally I think it's much more likely that we'd see a reincarnation of the cube before Easter...not the Newton.

repboy
Jul 25, 2001, 11:12 AM
Observe Palm: 15 million units sold, and they are burning through their cash faster than a dotcom. Yes, they made a stupid decision to introduce the 500 and 505 while they still had big inventories of the IIIc, VIIx, Vx and others, but the fact remains they DID have huge unsold inventories of those models.

Their profit margins on the hardware are almost nonexistent now. Apple, like Palm, would have to shoulder the costs of both the OS (which needs to be maintained) and the hardware. Compaq, Casio and the like can just focus on making the hardware and let MS do the heavy lifting on the OS. That model has worked well for PCs and seems to be (finally) working for handhelds as well; WinCE is grabbing more marketshare all the time.

Before someone takes this personally, let me state: I own a Palm, have owned (and despise) PocketPC. I carry no water for MS or anyone else. But anyone who can simply observe what is happening in the PDA world can see the market for handhelds is quickly topping out, with more and more sales going to previous customers updating their hardware, not to new users. There is no place in this market for Newton; in a couple of years there may not be a place for Palm (at least as we know the company now).

Luckster
Jul 25, 2001, 07:59 PM
The model may have worked fairly well for PC makers, but have you seen the Wall Street Journal recently? Because PC makers only make hardware and do not do any innovations themselves, the market has driven them to produce a PC with extrememly limited profit margins, if any.

The Newton, most regretably, was simply too expensive, bulky, and ahead of its time. While Apple was trying to cram more features into the 2000, essentially a very tiny laptop (it could even run PowerPoint files), the market was demanding smaller and smaller devices. Enter Palm.

MrMacMan
Jul 25, 2001, 08:16 PM
Apple does not need a handheld, please come to your senses. I would Love one. We all would but not now the market of Pc's are falling, we can't risk the down fall.