PDA

View Full Version : The PowerPC iMac is no more!

BoyBach
Mar 20, 2006, 03:21 PM
Just noticed on the UK Apple Store that they are only selling Intel iMacs now. The only PowerPC Mac's are the iBook, PowerBook and Power Mac.

The Intel transition is flying along!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore

Queso
Mar 20, 2006, 03:28 PM
It went last week. I'm happy. I've got one of the last 17" ones.

scarletbiro
Mar 20, 2006, 03:50 PM
I couldn't really afford my 20" iMac last year, but FrameMaker and I are so glad that I bought one anyway!

thejadedmonkey
Mar 20, 2006, 03:52 PM
All I want is the new iBook!

Kingsly
Mar 20, 2006, 03:53 PM
*cough link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=186631) Cough*

Spanky Deluxe
Mar 20, 2006, 03:54 PM
So now only the Powermacs are left on the desktop and they'll probably be the last to go. It looks probable that from April 1st the PowerMacs will be the only PowerPC based machines left!

LastLine
The PowerPC was a thing of beauty, somehow I'll never trust an intel chip quite the same simply because I've always been an AMD man on the Windows machines anyway :P (Well with the exception of the Centrino for laptops anyway)

HEre's an interesting thought - the Core chips Apple are using so far, are the centrino chips are they not? At least the PC laptops are pushing them as Centrino Duos....so does this mean that Apple are using the Centrino's wireless, or the wireless from Airport cards? I don't understand that one, any offers?

MacRonin
Don't forget the Xserve...

This also is a product needing to transition from IBM to Intel this year...

Woodcrest, or a Low-Voltage/SMP-able varient of ???

Time will tell...

DMann

The thin version will be ideal!

DKZ
Mar 20, 2006, 03:55 PM

If the new Ibook is a 13" widescreen form, I'd rather have the old 12", don't really like the concept of widescreen laptops.

Demon Hunter
Mar 20, 2006, 03:58 PM
What will they call the new PowerMacs? MacTower? :rolleyes:

Spanky Deluxe
Mar 20, 2006, 03:58 PM
The PowerPC was a thing of beauty, somehow I'll never trust an intel chip quite the same simply because I've always been an AMD man on the Windows machines anyway :P (Well with the exception of the Centrino for laptops anyway)

HEre's an interesting thought - the Core chips Apple are using so far, are the centrino chips are they not? At least the PC laptops are pushing them as Centrino Duos....so does this mean that Apple are using the Centrino's wireless, or the wireless from Airport cards? I don't understand that one, any offers?

The Core Duos are essentially dual cored Pentium M chips with SSE3 and a larger cache. The Pentium M chips being the processor used in the Centrino platform. (Centrino is a platform, processor + chipset + wireless)

Edit: Also the PowerPC chips might not be worth trusting completely!! http://nak.journalspace.com/?cmd=displaycomments&dcid=413&entryid=413 :D

LastLine
Mar 20, 2006, 03:59 PM
If the new Ibook is a 13" widescreen form, I'd rather have the old 12", don't really like the concept of widescreen laptops.
I like the concept, but I'd rather see us get a 12.1" and a 15.4" iBooks to put them more in the 'mainstream' form factors. The current ibooks are ugly, and mine wants to have an 'accident' when sometime after this transition. ;)

destroyboredom
I'm content with my DP G5 2.0GHZ that I bought almost 18 months ago and I'm sure I will be long after the Intel vers. arrives.

BoyBach
*cough link (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=186631) Cough*

Sorry <blushes> :o

How do you do the clever link thingy?

LastLine
Mar 20, 2006, 04:00 PM
The Core Duos are essentially dual cored Pentium M chips with SSE3 and a larger cache. The Pentium M chips being the processor used in the Centrino platform. (Centrino is a platform, processor + chipset + wireless)
Thanks for clearing that up - very interesting stuff to know :) And answers a lot of questions too!

Spanky Deluxe
Mar 20, 2006, 04:01 PM

MacBeast Pro?

BoyBach
Mar 20, 2006, 04:03 PM
MacBeast Pro?

Sounds rude :eek:

Spanky Deluxe
Sorry <blushes> :o

How do you do the clever link thingy?

[ URL = "http://www.awebaddress.com" ] link [ / URL ]

Just without the spaces although where link is you can put what you want. Even a picture.

mashinhead
is this really news, did anyone think these computers would remain after the intel introduction?

BoyBach
Mar 20, 2006, 04:05 PM
[ URL = "http://www.awebaddress.com" ] link [ / URL ]

Just without the spaces although where link is you can put what you want. Even a picture.

lanray
Mar 20, 2006, 04:07 PM
Mac Tower Pro (MTP)

All this transition makes me want to get a new MBP, but I really don't need one. On the other hand, I'm readying to get a tablet PC with Windows XP for work - used, and it'll be nice to have 2 computers in the house (so the wife and I can both surf at the same time), but dual booting seems so so cool, ug, the choices!

VanMac
Mar 20, 2006, 04:08 PM
is this really news, did anyone think these computers would remain after the intel introduction?
No.

I thought the same thing.

DKZ
Mar 20, 2006, 04:09 PM
I like the concept, but I'd rather see us get a 12.1" and a 15.4" iBooks to put them more in the 'mainstream' form factors. The current ibooks are ugly, and mine wants to have an 'accident' when sometime after this transition. ;)

I actually like the design of the G4 ibooks, but of course thats a matter of taste. The laptop I'm buying is only for school purposes, so small and handy is the keywords, and I think that a widescreen makes a laptop unhandy, a 13" widescreen will proberly be just as wide as a 15" 3:4, and that is not handy in my mind.

avalys
Mar 20, 2006, 04:14 PM
Well, if they rename the PowerMac in the same way they renamed the PowerBook, they'll have to call it the MacMac Pro.

LastLine
Mar 20, 2006, 04:14 PM
I actually like the design of the G4 ibooks, but of course thats a matter of taste. The laptop I'm buying is only for school purposes, so small and handy is the keywords, and I think that a widescreen makes a laptop unhandy, a 13" widescreen will proberly be just as wide as a 15" 3:4, and that is not handy in my mind.
Yeah, which is why I consider the 12.1 a good option for the 'small' option. The 15.4 Macbook/Powerbook form factor's actually not too constricting size wise (my brother has one) but the current 12" Powerbook is a little ugly and wouldn't hurt to be changed to a widescreen form factor. It's personal taste ultimately. That said, the next Apple Laptop I'd like would be tablet based anyway so it's moot for me right now. A 12" tablet in any form factor would get my credit card out my pocket quicker than a quick thing on a quick day! :rolleyes:

BoyBach
Mar 20, 2006, 04:15 PM

No I'm not surprised...

But considering that the Intel transition wasn't supposed to even start until the summer of '06, the fact that we're in March and two (iMac + Mac Mini) and half (15" MacBook Pro) Macs are now only available with Intel processors inside, I think it is news ;)

TVGenius
Mar 20, 2006, 04:22 PM
Well, if they rename the PowerMac in the same way they renamed the PowerBook, they'll have to call it the MacMac Pro.
I'm all for that one. I was expecting Apple to drop the MacMac Pros in time for NAB, since that's one of their biggest non-Apple only events of the year. Guess I'll take binoculars so I can read the banner if they unfurl it off the roof of the LVCC the night before like they did last year...

wingman
Mar 20, 2006, 04:25 PM
Quoting the MacRumors article:

"The iBook, 12"/17" PowerBook and PowerMac remain. According to some reports Intel PowerMacs are expected as early as August to coincide with WWDC while the Intel iBook (MacBook?) may arrive in April. Preliminary reports have also suggested that the 17" MacBook Pro could be announced as early as April."

Somebody forgot the Xserve.

milo
Mar 20, 2006, 04:37 PM

Probably just Mac Pro.

I was surprised to hear this just because I had already assumed this model was gone from the store.

MrCrowbar
Mar 20, 2006, 04:39 PM
check this out, the G4 iMac is back. Now if that isn't saying Fox is going on itms?
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43497&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1142890811

Sorry, out of topic. But since we were talking about iMacs, I couldn't resist. :-)

aegisdesign
Mar 20, 2006, 04:40 PM
Not at all.

It's pretty major news if you need a G5 iMac.

But considering that the Intel transition wasn't supposed to even start until the summer of '06, the fact that we're in March and two (iMac + Mac Mini) and half (15" MacBook Pro) Macs are now only available with Intel processors inside, I think it is newsworthy ;)

No, that's not what Jobs said. He said they'd have machines available by summer '06 and the transition complete by the end of this year. So far they are on target but they've not really tackled the difficult machines - ie. something faster than the PowerMac because Intel doesn't have anything faster than a G5 yet.

guzhogi
Mar 20, 2006, 04:43 PM
I really wish Intel would consolidate its processor line. I'm really confused which processors its making and what they're used for. Maybe one processor for servers (like a Xeon), one for workstations/pro computers (like the Core Duo for Power Macs and Powerbooks) and one for the consumer computers (like the Core Solo for iMacs, iBooks, Mac Mini). I know it's good to have options, but too many options would just confuse the shopper. I wish more of Intel processors, versions of Windows and software were 64-bit, too. I just finished taking a class to prepare for A+ certification and my teacher said that one reason for the 32-bit to 64-bit transition is occurring is because 32-bit chips are getting so hot and need so much power, there's too much noise being produced so it would be easier to crank down the clock speed and go with 64-bits to get more performance. Also, Microsoft said that it won't support EFI (like BIOS, but newer). That sucks. Maybe in SP2 they'd add official support so people can run Windows & Mac OS X on a Mac.

DrEasy
Mar 20, 2006, 04:44 PM
Well that's too bad (I voted "negative"), I was planning on buying a 20'' PowerPC iMac myself, was just waiting to get the money... It was nicely discounted compared to the Core Duo version, and it ran the applications that I mostly care about (Office and Java) more efficiently than the Core Duo does. Not to mention that I want to avoid buying a RevA.

Now does this mean that the price on the refurbs will go up or down?

taalinukko
Mar 20, 2006, 05:07 PM
DrEasy,

There have been a pallet of iMacs at my local Costco, IIRC those were the smaller ones but I would not be surprised to see this latest retired model there soon.

iHeartTheApple
Mar 20, 2006, 05:13 PM

rofl :D Nice observation...I'd love to see that!

fluidinclusion
Mar 20, 2006, 05:17 PM
Well that's too bad (I voted "negative"), I was planning on buying a 20'' PowerPC iMac myself, was just waiting to get the money... It was nicely discounted compared to the Core Duo version, and it ran the applications that I mostly care about (Office and Java) more efficiently than the Core Duo does. Not to mention that I want to avoid buying a RevA.

Now does this mean that the price on the refurbs will go up or down?

They were both (Power & Intel) heavily discounted at Amazon.com. You should still be able to find some new at some resellers. They are still available from Macmall.com, for example.

bigandy
Mar 20, 2006, 05:25 PM

if so, kill me now.

timswim78
Mar 20, 2006, 05:25 PM

Good point.

bigandy
Mar 20, 2006, 05:27 PM
Good point.

MacMac would be better than MacMac Pro. it's quicker. :rolleyes:

rockthecasbah
Mar 20, 2006, 05:27 PM
Mac Pro, definitely. MacMac? Sounds like a really crappy nickname for someone :)

Di9it8
Mar 20, 2006, 05:42 PM
What will they call the new PowerMacs? MacTower?

How about the Tower Of Power??;)

janstett
Mar 20, 2006, 05:43 PM

Intel has based its entire future, including the current core duo and core solo, on the "Centrino" (Pentium M). They realized they went too far with the brute force of the Pentium 4 and have backtracked, basing their entire future on the Pentium M. Intel is poised to do some very interesting things with their new processors and stand to reverse AMD's performance lead shortly.

4God
Mar 20, 2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah, MacPro or ProMac would be better than MacMac..or even Big Mac :eek:

revjay
Mar 20, 2006, 05:50 PM
Intel has based its entire future, including the current core duo and core solo, on the "Centrino" (Pentium M). They realized they went to far with the Brute Force of the Pentium 4 and have backtracked, basing their entire future on the Pentium M. Intel is poised to do some very interesting things with their new processors and stand to reverse AMD's performance lead shortly.
Man...could you have imagined discussion like this a year ago? Like it or not...this is the new reality...it actually matters to me now that intel keeps up or out-does AMD. A year ago??? ...not so much.

...if there was a "Mac head" on the island with the cast of "Lost" and he returned home now...he would definately double take...(or curse Apple & die).

LaMerVipere
Mar 20, 2006, 05:54 PM
I can't decide whether or not I want an iMac or a MacBook Pro.

If only there was a 12"/13" MacBook Pro this decision wouldn't be a problem.

It's going to look kind of bad, though, to have Apple's flagship desktop, the Power Mac, (potentially) being the only Mac left using PPC processors for a few months.

aussie_geek
Mar 20, 2006, 05:55 PM
Mac Tower Pro (MTP)

All this transition makes me want to get a new MBP, but I really don't need one. On the other hand, I'm readying to get a tablet PC with Windows XP for work - used, and it'll be nice to have 2 computers in the house (so the wife and I can both surf at the same time), but dual booting seems so so cool, ug, the choices!

There have been numerous debates over the topic but I reckon it will be the MacPro.

aussie_geek

deadturtle
Mar 20, 2006, 05:55 PM

Heh, well put. That is exctly the reason I'm typing this on my DP1.8 (refurb). Hard to explain, as I could have saved the cash for an 'tel PM, and keep limpin along on my mini, but something about that PPC just called out. *Shrug* it does everything I need and more, quad monitors :D 2gb RAM and dual 120gb, should hold me over until the cost of a used 2ghz dual core PPC rolls around :rolleyes: (Honestly though I'm only running Triple Monitors cause my desk broke and my current desk is smaller)

KindredMAC
Mar 20, 2006, 05:56 PM
ProMac is my guess.

Just as long as it doesn't have a MagSafe Power Adapter on the back! I don't feel like having my house burn down.

mark!
Mar 20, 2006, 06:19 PM
ProMac is my guess.

Just as long as it doesn't have a MagSafe Power Adapter on the back! I don't feel like having my house burn down.

Only 1 person had that happen.

d_and_n5000
Mar 20, 2006, 06:39 PM
Only 1 person had that happen.
And wasn't it agreed that it was his cat peeing on it?

And am I the only one that thinks that the laptops will be consolidated under one naming strategy(MacBook), while the desktops under another(iMac)? Which means that new low-end laptop to go with (i)Mac mini - MacBook mini. PowerMac replacement? iMac pro. Make sense?

YoGramMamma
Mar 20, 2006, 06:43 PM
ProMac is my guess.

Wow... haha... yeah, since that only has happened to one person and it was probably cat piss thats responsible anyway... Funny though.

after reading the writeup about it from the guy on Flickr, AI, and a few other sites, ive officially deemed it as a) cat pee, or b) a cigarette lighter, in an attempt at a free replacement for a computer that had cat piss on it...

too many things don't add up for it to actually be a true claim....just look at the pics

Back to the topic however... i think "Mac Pro" is fine and dandy. either that or the "ÜberMac"

AtHomeBoy_2000
Mar 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
OK, now that the iMac G5s are gone, when will we get the universal Fianl Cut stuff? They said this month. Time's running out!

hokullani
Mar 20, 2006, 06:51 PM
Maybe since the laptops are called mac books or mac book pro we will see the powermac turn into a mac pro!

YoGramMamma
Mar 20, 2006, 06:53 PM
And wasn't it agreed that it was his cat peeing on it?

And am I the only one that thinks that the laptops will be consolidated under one naming strategy(MacBook), while the desktops under another(iMac)? Which means that new low-end laptop to go with (i)Mac mini - MacBook mini. PowerMac replacement? iMac pro. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me. I saw this idea mentioned in a thread a while ago... but it leaves perfect opportunity for them too add in new products in the Lineup... Laptops could encompass the Macbook Pro, Mackbook, Macbook Mini, Macbook Express, Macbook Extreme, MacBook Tablet, etc. And the same for desktops iMac, iMac Pro, iMac Mini, iMac AV (media center only)... etc. This way consumers aren't confused by letters and numbers like the "other guys" use... nor by symbols and prefixes/suffixes... Its much easier to differentiate MacBook and MacBook Pro than it is iBook and Powerbook. IMHO.

Hell, if they were bold enough they could even make a different name for each screen size. Instead of distinguishing MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 17" it could be the Pro, and the Extreme, which indicates either 15" or 17". I dunno though, it could work:rolleyes:

Multimedia
Mar 20, 2006, 07:27 PM
What will they call the new PowerMacs? MacTower? :rolleyes:Based on what they are calling the portables the towers will probably be called Mac Pro.

But I love my Quad. They are going to have to do some pretty neat tricks to beat the Quad. It still runs in Classic mode. It is pretty fast. I plan on waiting for 8 cores in the form of two 4-core Kentsfield processors next Spring. And it'll ship with Leopard and iLife '07. :D :p :) :cool:

Multimedia
Mar 20, 2006, 07:31 PM
And am I the only one that thinks that the laptops will be consolidated under one naming strategy(MacBook), while the desktops under another(iMac)? Which means that new low-end laptop to go with (i)Mac mini - MacBook mini. PowerMac replacement? iMac pro. Make sense?NO. That does NOT make sense. There is no way Apple is ever going to associate their towers with iMacs. For one thing they do not come with monitors. And neither does the Mac mini. It is not an iMac and neither are the towers. iMac stands for an All-In-One Mac and only an all-in-one Mac - nothing more.

I think they will be called "Mac Pro".

Mac Fly (film)
Mar 20, 2006, 07:37 PM
Here's to the future!

daysleeper
Mar 20, 2006, 07:50 PM

Umm... wouldn't they just leave it named PowerMac?:confused: I mean, Jobs said he wanted to make sure "mac" was in the titles... it's already in the name.

PowerMac is a great name. Leave it be.

Shaker
Mar 20, 2006, 08:03 PM
Bring on the 17" MacBook Pros. Can't wait for those.:D :D :D

d_and_n5000
Mar 20, 2006, 08:22 PM
NO. That does NOT make sense. There is no way Apple is ever going to associate their towers with iMacs. For one thing they do not come with monitors. And neither does the Mac mini. It is not an iMac and neither are the towers. iMac stands for an All-In-One Mac and only an all-in-one Mac - nothing more.

I think they will be called "Mac Pro".

Now, you bring up a good point. The iMac, period, is and always has been an all-in-one. But, no one ever said that the iMac name with a suffix such as pro or mini had to be tied to an all in one consumer model, a bit like how PowerBooks weren't tied to just PowerPC. I figured that it made sense to have two naming strategies for different types of computers, and you can't do that for the desktops without (a), getting a whole new naming strategy, which hasn't as of yet shown up, or (b), using the 'i' prefix, because you can't rightfully call the desktops Mac(suffix), because people will get confused as to whether you are referring to the desktop family of Macs, or Macs in general.

Mac pro seems to be the general concensus of the name for the PowerMac replacement. However, if you call it 'Mac pro' and leave the Mac Mini as-is, there's this odd 'iMac' name that doesn't fit in with the naming strategy of the other two models, much like if you stuffed iBook in with MacBook pro and MacBook mini. The line as a whole sounds a bit better with 'MacBook pro, MacBook, MacBook mini, correct? I was thinking the same with the desktops. Sound a bit less confusing to have 'iMac pro, iMac, iMac mini' than to have Mac mini, iMac, Mac pro. Besides, when it all boils down, the only one sure of the name is Steve. Everything else is just ideas.

lwmcanada
Mar 20, 2006, 08:31 PM
Umm... wouldn't they just leave it named PowerMac?:confused: I mean, Jobs said he wanted to make sure "mac" was in the titles... it's already in the name.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, Mac is already in the title(as jobs said he wanted), so why do they need to change the name. I think its fine.

Mar 20, 2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, Mac is already in the title(as jobs said he wanted), so why do they need to change the name. I think its fine.

Because he also said that their done with "power" (The PowerPC chip):)

I think it'll be Mac Pro, the question will be if the new PowerMac is up for a design change (they have yet to change any looks with the new chip), but it culd be a first.:rolleyes:
Personally I hope they keep the same look, it looks a whole lot better than any cases for a PC.

p0intblank
Mar 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
Well there goes another one! :eek:

Multimedia
Mar 20, 2006, 09:00 PM
I really wish Intel would consolidate its processor line. I'm really confused which processors its making and what they're used for. Maybe one processor for servers (like a Xeon), one for workstations/pro computers (like the Core Duo for Power Macs and Powerbooks) and one for the consumer computers (like the Core Solo for iMacs, iBooks, Mac Mini). I know it's good to have options, but too many options would just confuse the shopper. I wish more of Intel processors, versions of Windows and software were 64-bit, too. I just finished taking a class to prepare for A+ certification and my teacher said that one reason for the 32-bit to 64-bit transition is occurring is because 32-bit chips are getting so hot and need so much power, there's too much noise being produced so it would be easier to crank down the clock speed and go with 64-bits to get more performance. Also, Microsoft said that it won't support EFI (like BIOS, but newer). That sucks. Maybe in SP2 they'd add official support so people can run Windows & Mac OS X on a Mac.Well I find the Intel processor family extremely easy to understand. I am surprised you find it confusing since there is NOTHING complicated about it AT ALL.

You have Yonah 32-bit dual core processors going into the iMacs, Mac Book Pro and one of the Mac minis with another Yonah bottom of the line single core going into the bottom of the line Mac mini. Next we'll have the same processor going into Mac Books. More dual core Yonah going into 17" MacBook Pro later this Spring switching to the 64-bit Merom dual core mobile in the Fall.

Finally, the Desktop 64-bit Dual Core Single Socket Conroe is coming this Fall for the Mini Mac Pro towers and the 64-bit Dual Core Dual Socket Woodcrest for Quad Mac Pros. Early 2007 the Quad Core Kentsfield 64-bit procesors arrive with Leopard 10.5 and iLife '07. Dual Quad Core Mac Pros early next year at same time the Kentsfield Mac Pro ships with a pair of Kentsfields (8 cores) inside the top of the line.

What's to be confused about? It couldn't be simpler for a first grade six year old to understand.

Perhaps you need to STUDY this article. (http://arstechnica.com/articles/columns/mac/mac-20050608.ars) :rolleyes: I am amazed anyone finds it confusing. It really couldn't be simpler.

As for Windows running on the Mac, it does already and it's only a matter of weeks until all the bugs are cleaned up for an official unveiling of the complete solution which has already been unofficially unveiled as almost done.

designed
Mar 20, 2006, 09:07 PM
Here's to the future!

The King is dead, long live the King!

Multimedia
Mar 20, 2006, 09:20 PM

PowerMac is a great name. Leave it be.I totally agree. I wish he would leave it PowerMac. We can only pray on it. :)

stephenli
Mar 20, 2006, 09:56 PM
finally I have tried intel iMac in Applestore, and I found it..........terrible while using illustrator and photoshop CS....
even dragging a rectangle in illustrator may have some delays....

its a bad news for those who immediate need an iMac G5 for design and publishing.... :(

Multimedia
Mar 20, 2006, 10:35 PM
finally I have tried intel iMac in Applestore, and I found it..........terrible while using illustrator and photoshop CS....
even dragging a rectangle in illustrator may have some delays....

its a bad news for those who immediate need an iMac G5 for design and publishing.... :(Go to the refurb page and get one of the last top-of-the-line 2.1 GHz 20" G5 iMacs for only $1299. They even have 2 GHz Core Duo Intel 20" iMacs there now for only $1449. :p

Mechcozmo
Mar 20, 2006, 10:42 PM

The 12" PowerBook has an amazing ability to travel. I'm not sure a widescreen variant would be able to do the same. Same with the iBook-- it is the same approximate size (12" that is).

Jetson
Mar 20, 2006, 11:02 PM
I upgraded from my trusty 1Ghz eMac (which I've used for 2 years) to the 20" iMac 2.1Ghz G5 a month ago. Needless to say, I'm just thrilled with this purchase! It's the best Mac I've owned yet.

I also got the bonus of upgrading from Panther to Tiger. Overall everything has been a tremendous improvement: a larger high resolution widescreen LCD, quieter fans (the eMac sounded like a blasted vacuum cleaner at times), 2-3 times speed boost, bigger hard drive, USB 2.0, and W I D G E T S ! ! !

I held off buying the iMac because it looked blocky and wobbly on it's stand. But with this latest iMac (and the Intel Duo Core) Apple slimmed it down and now the iMac looks sleek and elegant. Unfortunately the tradeoff is that it's no longer easy to open up the back for upgrades. Now instead of being able to easily upgrade my internal hard drive from 250GB to 500GB, I'll have to settle for an external drive. But that's no big deal.

I went to the Apple Store before purchasing and checked out the iMac Intel Duo Core. Not bad, but I was not impressed by the speed, especially after having just played with the impressive PowerMac Quad :)

I tried running Word and it was a dog on the Intel machine. Taking into consideration that it will be a while before the all the major apps I use are converted to Universal Binary and that it will cost big bucks to upgrade, I think this iMac G5 is the perfect purchase. Maybe this time next year I'll think about upgrading. I hope Apple decides to build an iMac Intel Quad machine - that would be smokin'.

I'm absolutely sold on Apple products. As long as they keep delivering their trademark style, quality and value I'll be coming back for more. By the way, I'm still waiting for my $150 rebate check from Amazon ;)

Will_reed
Mar 20, 2006, 11:12 PM
Ok this might be WAY out of left field but maybe... just maybe they'll call it the ...... wait for it ..... The "Macintosh"

Multimedia
Mar 20, 2006, 11:21 PM
Ok this might be WAY out of left field but maybe... just maybe they'll call it the ...... wait for it ..... The "Macintosh"
Or Macintosh Professional to be known as the "Mac Pro" for short.

AnimeUnrivaled
Mar 21, 2006, 12:20 AM

iTower

"And now we present the iTower. Scaring Windows PCs away from desks everywhere!"

I know, I know... please don't shoot me.

Anyways, I'm just waiting for the 12"/13" MacBook Pro.

I'm thinking they should leave the "low-end" laptops in the 12" and 15" 4:3 configurations while taking the "pro" laptops to widescreen. Just an opinion, of course.

excalibur313
Mar 21, 2006, 12:20 AM

As Steve Jobs put it "we decided to change the name of the powerbook because we are through with "power"..." It seems reasonable to suggest that this same train of thought might follow with the powermac. I think Mac Pro or Mac Tower sounds more likely.

AnimeUnrivaled
Mar 21, 2006, 12:28 AM
iTower

"And now we present the iTower. Scaring Windows PCs away from desks everywhere!"

I know, I know... please don't shoot me.

Anyways, I'm just waiting for the 12"/13" MacBook Pro.

I'm thinking they should leave the "low-end" laptops in the 12" and 15" 4:3 configurations while taking the "pro" laptops to widescreen. Just an opinion, of course.

Hmm, I seemed to miss when Jobs said he would be using "Mac" in all the names...

iTower... umm... Mac?

"And now we present the iTowerMac... We really suck at names."
It just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Well, Apple can ignore Jobs' previous statement. It's like when Apple completely ignores its own interface guidelines.

larsondale
Mar 21, 2006, 12:45 AM
Hi, although you are probably correct in most aspects, I thought I'd just comment that last week I saw a stack of iMacs in Costco here in Redding, CA and there were going fast. Saw a couple of them being run to the checkout stand. $1299? 17in.? Didn't copy down the info because I've got the new MacBook pro & other Macs & didn't want to be tempted. :)

daysleeper
Mar 21, 2006, 12:52 AM
As Steve Jobs put it "we decided to change the name of the powerbook because we are through with "power"..." It seems reasonable to suggest that this same train of thought might follow with the powermac. I think Mac Pro or Mac Tower sounds more likely.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that part.

Personally, I never equated the "power" in powerbook or powermac with power consumption or the powerpc. I thought of it as meaning "a machine with the power to get stuff done"... or some such nonsense. A much catchier name than "latitude" or "dimension/optiplex" (although "thinkpad" is pretty good).

Multimedia
Mar 21, 2006, 01:26 AM
Hi, although you are probably correct in most aspects, I thought I'd just comment that last week I saw a stack of iMacs in Costco here in Redding, CA and there were going fast. Saw a couple of them being run to the checkout stand. $1299? 17in.? Didn't copy down the info because I've got the new MacBook pro & other Macs & didn't want to be tempted. :)If that was the Costco "deal" the patrons got reamed. The refurb 17" is only $1099. $1299 is list for both the last G5 and the first Intel 17" iMac.

pknz
Mar 21, 2006, 01:46 AM
Rest In PPeaCe

mrwildguitar
Mar 21, 2006, 01:50 AM
I love my iMac G5. Greatest computer I've ever had.

I'm glad I got it when I did.

iPie
Mar 21, 2006, 02:05 AM

Since rumours have Apple tackling all areas of consumer goods, it's quite possible that after the video iPod, games iPod, iPhone, etc that they will be testing the waters with 'BigMac Pro' for the new PowerMac.

Maybe a merger is in the making, after all there are a lot of synergies:
the new 'McMac', 'MacFries' - for mag safe issues [insert your own here].

Just imagine an iPod vending machine in each and every outlet! Include Disney [and Mini Mouse] and the possibilities are endless :)

ACW
Mar 21, 2006, 03:08 AM
Don't forget the Xserve...

This also is a product needing to transition from IBM to Intel this year...

Woodcrest, or a Low-Voltage/SMP-able varient of ???

Time will tell...

Finally someone remembers the Xserves :D

Platform
Mar 21, 2006, 03:12 AM
Long live the iMac G5...hehe

Great machine :cool:

Dale Cooper
Mar 21, 2006, 03:15 AM
Hmm, I seemed to miss when Jobs said he would be using "Mac" in all the names...

iTower... umm... Mac?

"And now we present the iTowerMac... We really suck at names."
It just doesn't have the same ring to it.

What about BigMac?

MrCrowbar
Mar 21, 2006, 06:20 AM
[/QUOTE]Just imagine an iPod vending machine in each and every outlet! Include Disney [and Mini Mouse] and the possibilities are endless :)[/QUOTE]

An iPod vending mashine eh? The content of those things would be close to a million (if the iPods are without packages) and definatey worth ripping off a wall and put in in your trunk. Or picture one of these things in a university! I for one would be really pissed if I put 400 bucks in there and the iPod is stuck like in those snack vending mashines. :p

I hope apple will keep the PowerMac name. the "Mac" is still in there as it was with the iMac. Steve said "We're kinda done with power" but I think that was just a gag for justifying the name MacBook Pro.

AidenShaw
Mar 21, 2006, 06:42 AM
Desktop 64-bit Dual Core Conroe coming this Fall for the Mac Pro towers.
No Conroe for the big towers - it's single-socket only.

Conroe will show up in a new line of mini-towers - single socket, dual core. Much smaller than the huge PowerMac case, they'll have somewhat less expansion. Think of the guy who doesn't need more power than a MiniMacIntel - but does want a more powerful graphics card or a second disk.

Woodcrest - the dual-socket capable member of the Merom/Conroe family - will be in the big towers. The mini-tower will also eliminate the need for the low end single-socket PowerMac - all the big towers will dual-socket, total of four cores.

AidenShaw
Mar 21, 2006, 06:45 AM
An iPod vending mashine eh?
Photo of iPod vending machine at Atlanta airport (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbisson/12619332/)
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/ipod-vending-machine-133740.php
http://www.engadget.com/2005/04/21/selling-ipods-cellphones-and-digital-cameras-by-vending/

celebrian23
Mar 21, 2006, 06:54 AM
Does anyone think all these names are kind of confusing? I kind of like how the notebooks didn't have mac in the name and the desktops did. Macbook pro, macbook, mac pro, etc.

Multimedia
Mar 21, 2006, 06:56 AM
No Conroe for the big towers - it's single-socket only.

Conroe will show up in a new line of mini-towers - single socket, dual core. Much smaller than the huge PowerMac case, they'll have somewhat less expansion. Think of the guy who doesn't need more power than a MiniMacIntel - but does want a more powerful graphics card or a second disk.

Woodcrest - the dual-socket capable member of the Merom/Conroe family - will be in the big towers. The mini-tower will also eliminate the need for the low end single-socket PowerMac - all the big towers will dual-socket, total of four cores.Thank you AldenShaw. Everything I know about this transition I owe to you. You are the best expert we have here. I made the corrections to that post #65 you quoted from me. Your corrections are always much appreciated by me. :)

AidenShaw
Mar 21, 2006, 09:23 AM
Thank you AldenShaw. Everything I know about this transition I owe to you.
Thanks.

Obviously, the "Conroe mini-tower" is speculation on my part.

It makes a lot of sense, though.

There's a huge gap in capability between the MiniMac and the PowerMac - something that a single socket dual-core mini-tower would fill nicely.
It would avoid that odd "crippled" entry level PowerMac
A single socket PowerMac based on a single Woodcrest would most likely have to be much more expensive than a single-socket Conroe system - Intel typically charges a premium for dual-socket capable CPUs and chipsets (and making a special Conroe mobo just for the entry PowerMac would be expensive relative to the number of low end systems that would be sold)
All the other Intel vendors will have cheap Conroe mini-towers

Jetson
Mar 21, 2006, 09:32 AM
Amazing how even in a thread about the iMac G5, some people manage to dominate it with talk about PowerBooks. Sheesh!

:)

grockk
Mar 21, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'd buy a MacMac

whocares
Mar 21, 2006, 12:49 PM
It'll be called the Granny Smith™.

:p :p

Great news folks: now instead of putting up with people b*tching about the specs of the latest Mac, we'll have to put with people b*tching about the specs AND the name... :rolleyes:

justflie
Mar 21, 2006, 01:54 PM
have u guys noticed the massive amount of online mac ads recently? it's like they're following me around. in just the past two days i've noticed macbook pro, imac, and mac mini ads in facebook, wired.com, cnn finance, and a few other websites. that's fine by me, i really like the imac one. the next time i see one, i'll link it if anyone cares about this

FF_productions
Mar 21, 2006, 03:25 PM
have u guys noticed the massive amount of online mac ads recently? it's like they're following me around. in just the past two days i've noticed macbook pro, imac, and mac mini ads in facebook, wired.com, cnn finance, and a few other websites. that's fine by me, i really like the imac one. the next time i see one, i'll link it if anyone cares about this

I heard some iMac commercials on the radio...

This announcement really makes feel like my computer is already obsolete...

Tupring
Mar 22, 2006, 04:21 PM
Here's an interesting thought - the Core chips Apple are using so far, are the centrino chips are they not? At least the PC laptops are pushing them as Centrino DuosI think so too. I was looking at the ads in the paper and they have advertised a Sony Vaio with Intel Core Duo.

Tupring
Mar 22, 2006, 05:36 PM
is this really news, did anyone think these computers would remain after the intel introduction?Not at all, I expect mine to vanish into thin air.:rolleyes:

Tupring
Mar 22, 2006, 07:50 PM
check this out, the G4 iMac is back. Now if that isn't saying Fox is going on itms?
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43497&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1142890811

Sorry, out of topic. But since we were talking about iMacs, I couldn't resist. :-)I thought that was pretty funny when I saw it on The Simpsons. I wondered why they chose that model for the feMac instead of just using a pink eMac. They must just like the design. If FOX is going to be on iTMS, it won't have anything to do with that however. There have been many Mac sightings on The Simpsons.

Tupring
Mar 22, 2006, 08:01 PM
Intel doesn't have anything faster than a G5 yet.And they never will.

Tupring
Mar 22, 2006, 08:05 PM
Also, Microsoft said that it won't support EFI (like BIOS, but newer). That sucks.Not for Mac Users.

Tupring
Mar 22, 2006, 08:17 PM
It's going to look kind of bad, though, to have Apple's flagship desktop, the Power Mac, (potentially) being the only Mac left using PPC processors for a few months.Not nearly as bad as it will be when they no longer make them.

progx
Mar 22, 2006, 09:19 PM
a sad day. goodbye iMac G5, you were the best of the best. there'll be none like it for a while.

Jetson
Mar 23, 2006, 02:20 AM
I'm really hoping that Apple will soup up the iMac with a quad version. I've always been an all-in-one Mac user, and I don't really want to buy a PowerMac with a separate monitor. The iMac G5 is the perfect configuration for me. As nice as the 2.1Ghz model is, I could really use some massively serious horsepower behind the screen, without having to spend a small fortune on a PowerMac.

An iMac Intel duo-core x 2 (quad) each accessing 5GB of memory (total 10GB) with a comparably quick front end bus would be an attractive machine indeed. Space and cooling constraints might be a problem, but if anyone can pull it off Apple can.

Of course Intel might unveil some significantly more powerful chips rendering a quad configuration unnecessary. By the time all apps have been converted to Universal Binary, who knows what Apple and Intel will have cooked up.

In the meantime I'm pretty content with this latest, greatest version of the iMac G5. :)

m-dogg
Mar 23, 2006, 06:00 PM
Photo of iPod vending machine at Atlanta airport (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbisson/12619332/)
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/ipod-vending-machine-133740.php
http://www.engadget.com/2005/04/21/selling-ipods-cellphones-and-digital-cameras-by-vending/

I saw that during a layover in Atlanta last month!

But anyway...yes, a sad day for the iMac G5...glad I got mine!

Demon Hunter
Mar 26, 2006, 12:15 PM
MacBeast Pro?

LOL!!!!

:D