PDA

View Full Version : Whiny Kids grow up to be Conservatives

Ugg
Mar 20, 2006, 07:03 PM
Link (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1142722231554)

Remember the whiny, insecure kid in nursery school, the one who always thought everyone was out to get him, and was always running to the teacher with complaints? Chances are he grew up to be a conservative.
At least, he did if he was one of 95 kids from the Berkeley area that social scientists have been tracking for the last 20 years. The confident, resilient, self-reliant kids mostly grew up to be liberals.

While this is a polarizing article, it does have some interesting insight and as with most personality studies, poses more questions than it answers.

My question, do preschool and the stress of modern life create whiny, insecure kids?

StarbucksSam
Mar 20, 2006, 07:11 PM
Very interesting article. I didn't like the nod to the conservatives at the end, it seemed very... unnecessary.

I was a whiny kid who was a tattle tale, however, and I ended up being a liberal. Yet again, I was always loud and outgoing...

leekohler
Mar 20, 2006, 07:37 PM
Not surprising, and kind of funny. I hate to say it, but Limbaugh anyone? :)

Danksi
Mar 20, 2006, 07:46 PM
Oh dear, both my girls are VERY whiny! :rolleyes:

stubeeef
Mar 20, 2006, 07:57 PM
I think I could whine about the outcome here, and gee it was from berkeley?!

The world doesn't fit into cubby holes so easily, this little paragraph show that...
In New York City, two Republican mayors -- Rudolph W. Giuliani and Michael R. Bloomberg -- have awarded record amounts of money for job programs for former prisoners. John J. DiIulio Jr., a Democrat who was the director of the Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives in the current Bush White House, is pressing Congress for a tenfold increase in spending on job programs for ex-offenders.

Republicans putting money in job programs for prisoners? A Democrat heading up Faith-Based initiatives in the Bush White House?

I whine that birkley still exists:p ! Remember the community that dominos pizza wants to build? Well berkeley is the one that others built, luckily most are contained there.:p (yes I am poking fun)

jefhatfield
Mar 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
compared to the more violent bigger cities of the bay area, i grew up in an isolated, naive place and was sheltered

not knowing about the problems of crime, poverty, and racial strife, i tended to grow up more conservatively, and believing the world in california was more like the brady bunch, but going off to college with many less fortunate folk started to change my perception of reality, and what was really "middle class" like both parents working, credit card debt, student loan debt, and not usually having a mercedes or sending a kid to a private university [which may soon become the domain of only the very rich]

if i had stayed home and never left town, chances are i would be some sort of republican, but certainly not a george w bush supporter ;)

today's gop is so out of touch with most working americans that it seems like just plain ignorance and apathy are what made bush win again, not a strong showing of support for a job people thought he did masterfully (like clinton or reagan)

bush jr. may go down in history as the worst president of his generation, and the americans of november 2004 as the supidest voting populace in history

XNine
Mar 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
Link (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1142722231554)

While this is a polarizing article, it does have some interesting insight and as with most personality studies, poses more questions than it answers.

My question, do preschool and the stress of modern life create whiny, insecure kids?

I hear it was a whiney kid passed the cigarette ban. :p

Nah, the only people I know who are reeeal conservative are pretty lame. I think most of them are virgins too. And child abusers. And have never had a date besides their own mother...

StarbucksSam
Mar 20, 2006, 08:19 PM
I hear it was a whiney kid passed the cigarette ban. :p

Nah, the only people I know who are reeeal conservative are pretty lame. I think most of them are virgins too. And child abusers. And have never had a date besides their own mother...

Bill O'Reilly is going to blast you on his show tomorrow. He ran out of things that he could pass of as "of substance", so he's trolling MacRumors.

scem0
Mar 21, 2006, 12:20 AM
do preschool and the stress of modern life create whiny, insecure kids?

no, whiny, insecure kids that grew up to be whiny, insecure conservatives create whiny, insecure kids ;).

e

solvs
Mar 21, 2006, 12:46 AM
Actually you'd think it'd be the opposite. People who are called whiny are often frustrated by injustice. Liberals are accused of being whiny, but thank God they make a big deal out of some things or things would be even worse. Environment, child care, job safety, etc. Watching Conservatives defend the Bush administration and the Republican scandals, accepting things even when they're going bad because BushCo or some preacher or some media talking head says so, it seems more like they would sooner fight for the status quo.

But I can see where they mean the other kind of whiny. That whole persecution, tattle tale, everyone else is sinful thing. I can totally see the neocons being like that where the libs in charge at the moment are just afraid to say anything to piss anyone off and are just waiting for the whiners to self implode even while they get viciously attacked. Then call it the high road. Which is dumb because nobody likes the smartest guy in class.

tristan
Mar 21, 2006, 05:37 AM
This is a useless article. First, the correlation is weak. .27? Second, it's much too focused on the US culture and political spectrum. Are they fiscally or socially conservative? Third, it ignores the "obvious" contributors to conservatism, which as everyone knows are age, race, and religion - which is why the republican convention is full of white middle-aged Christians. You could find a decent correlation if you just asked questions about the parents socio-economic background, but that wouldn't be "news", right?

Thomas Veil
Mar 21, 2006, 07:12 AM
but going off to college with many less fortunate folk started to change my perception of reality...if i had stayed home and never left town, chances are i would be some sort of republicanGlad to see you came out okay. :D But yes, you're describing something similar to what I've heard about reporters, namely that they go out to so many places where they see suffering and injustice that most of them can't help coming out liberal. (That is, in their personal views, not their reporting.)

But I can see where they mean the other kind of whiny. That whole persecution, tattle tale, everyone else is sinful thing.Yeah, I've always thought that. Many Republicans love to paint everyone else as an "entitlement" society, when in reality they feel entitled to business success, tax breaks, personal wealth, laws that don't apply to them, and all kinds of other privileges.

But then the GOP does a lot of that: taking their own worst characteristics and using propaganda to ascribe those same characteristics to liberals. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who fall for that.

katchow
Mar 21, 2006, 08:12 AM
I think I could whine about the outcome here, and gee it was from berkeley?!

The world doesn't fit into cubby holes so easily, this little paragraph show that...

reminds me of another little cubby hole;

Adjusted for income, Repubs happier than Dems

mactastic
Mar 21, 2006, 09:04 AM
I could swear I hear some whining around here...

SharksFan22
Mar 21, 2006, 11:24 AM
Berkeley used as a reference point for ANYTHING? That town is it's own little world (good or bad) and I think it's a little unrealistic to use it as a barometer for anything when measuring against the rest of the country.

I do like the comment another poster made about getting out of their town when they went to college. I've been fortunate to live in different places in the US and have traveled to many parts of the country. It's been very illuminating to see just how different our country really is and I think it's important that people explore and see with their own eyes (not those of the media) what really happens in other areas. A very good friend of mine has lived in California her whole life, travelled very little and has no desire to do so. Sad.

And as far as whiny goes, I think ALL politicians are whiny, liberal or democrat. That's what gets them on the news! :-)