Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I'm sorry I couldn't find the other thread for this but I need to clean my iBook G4 really badly.My trackpad is turning a slimy brown color and I use it for school and show my friends my powerpoint projects I do and there always like "EWWWWW!" why is your trackpad so dirty? So back to the subject if you guys can give me any household materials or product that can clean my trackpad by messing it up.

Macluver101:)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
macluver101 said:
I'm sorry I couldn't find the other thread for this but I need to clean my iBook G4 really badly.My trackpad is turning a slimy brown color and I use it for school and show my friends my powerpoint projects I do and there always like "EWWWWW!" why is your trackpad so dirty? So back to the subject if you guys can give me any household materials or product that can clean my trackpad by messing it up.

Macluver101:)

Go to the grocery or drug store. buy a Mr. Clean magic eraser or a generic magic eraser. It will erase the dirt on your palm rest, but DO NOT use it on your keyboard as it is a slight abrasive and will take off the key imprints.

I think it will work fine on the trackpad itself but go easy on it. On the surrounding palmrest/topcase, it works like a charm. Also get an iSkin for the keyboard -- protects against germs spills and dust.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Just do NOT use rubbing alcohol - I've read about this, and it just kills trackpads and can strip the paint/color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.