Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2001
UK
I have a pb G4 667mhz with an airport card. My pIII desktop pc (running win98se) is connected to adsl. I have connected a usb wireless thing to this pc. Computer to computer connection between my pb and the pc is good. What do I need to share files and the net connection? I am having trouble with PCMaclan, solidshare and MacSoho. But I don't really know what I am doing. Any advice on how to get things going - either under 9.2.2 or 10.1.2 greatly appreciated. I have also tried to use the built-in SMB/CIFS protocol on the WinPC but get nothing but a server error 1 returned.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Well

1. You Need either an AirPort Base Station V2, or a DSL/Broadband Compatible Hub with Wireless connectors.

2. You need Either Dave or Sharity (for File Sharing)

I would use the Airport, because both machines can see it, its DSL compatible, and you can use the MAC to configure it to give the AirPort BS the DSL's PPoE IP address and give your two machines hidden addresses. The network will still exist between the two machines. The easiest way I'v fopund to share between Macs and PC is Use Sharity for OSX and Dave for OS9. Sharity is free to students, or costs like $49.99 for retail. Dave is much more expensive, like $150, but you can get a trial version of it for the mac. Also make sure your PC only has the TCP/IP protocall installed with its USB Wireless Network Adapter, make sure it has a name, and a work group (i.e. Home, Office, etc..) and use the same work group settings on the Mac, and you should have no problems.

TEG

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
I agree with TEG

TEG is right. At my highschool, we have a computer lab with iMacs for graphics stuff and PC's for other stuff like MS Office(i dont know why they just dont put Office on imacs). But anyway, they are all in one lab and we have 4 of the new airport base stations. The imacs all have airport cards and the pc's have pci adaptors. We can share files, and they all have cable modem speeds. I'd do it the way TEG said.:p ;)

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Samba

I've never had any trouble with samba under Win 2000. Just create a share under windows and then connect to it under OS X on your PB. In the Fider under the Go menu select Connect to Server...

Then enter your samba share as the server name like this:

smb:\\winPCip\Sharename

where winPCip is the IP address of the windows PC and Sharename is the name of the share you created on the PC. Make sure the share you created under Windows doesn't have the $ sign after it, I'm not sure that works.

Also, Win 98 may not support samba shares the same way??? I don't know much about pre 2000 Win OS's. And if you are running OS 9 on your PB, that makes things harder. If either of these things is true, you might be better off with Dave...or upgrading:)

Hope this is of use.

Matthew

SRFox

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2002
PC/Mac wireless network

A dumb question. if i use a netgear wireless dsl router with 802.11b on my XP PC, can I just use a airport card on my cube? I'm trying to clear up physical clutter around the cube and want to move the dsl modem and printer into the room where I have my PC.

Thanks,

Steve
A PC oldtimer and a Mac newtimer (free at last!)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I hope this helps out, since the configuration here works for me.

I have a G4 PB (500) with the airport card installed along with the first version of the base station. I am on DSL (Earthlink) and have a G4 tower and pc tower connect to go online any time I choose. The way I have the hardware is as follows...

DSL modem connected to my Netgear 8 port ethernet switch UPLINK port (set to uplink).

Airport base station connected to the switch (happens to use the port next to the uplink, but any would work). The base station is configured to go online 24/7, has all my connecting info and set up to give out IP addresses via DHCP.

Mac tower wired into the switch, as is the pc tower (3com NIC installed into the pc running win2k).

I set the base station to give maximum bandwidth to my PB so that I can move files at a halfway decent clip between systems. I have not set up the pc to share with the PB just yet, but have been thinking about it.

The next item to change (most likely Tuesday night) is I will be adding my Epson C80 to the network. I ordered the part on Friday and should have it on Tuesday. That will allow me to print from any system on the network to the printer without having to plug the USB cable directly into it.

For sharing files on the pc, I think someone else stated that he got it to work without additional software, but I do not remember how. I have attempted it, but have not given too much time to it since it is not all that important to me at the moment. If you really need to do that, and can afford the software, go for it. Just make sure that you get the version that is the best for your needs. I would suggest contacting the company who has the product you want to use and make sure it will do what you need. That way, you only have to get one version, or buy it one time.

SRFox

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2002
Alpha: your setup sounds good; my question is: if your netgear router was wireless, would you need the airport base station. or could your PB airport card work directly with the wireless netgear router..

BTW, I was happy to not have dsl on my pc until i installed XP. Because nothing works under XP without new drivers, after I installed XP i had no longer had a working modem, soundcard, or ethernet card; I had to voice phone in the XP registration! talk about a giant step backwards....

Steve

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
SRFox, I would imagine that you could use the Netgear router with the airport card since they are both based on the same technology. I also believe that you could use the pc wireless card with an airport base station. I don't know what kind of wireless speeds you will see when you mix them up since the airport base station mentions about other card compatibilty if you set the speed higher.

It might be easier to just go wired from the pc as I did instead of going wireless from it.

Your issues, along with the required registration, are the main reason I am avoiding xp at all costs. 2000 plays the games I want, and I am familiar enough with it. I have also seen tons of comments about security issues with xp, and not as many with 2000. Besides, I have 2000 and refuse to pay any additional money to m$. I didn't have to pay full retail for my copy. I was able to obtain an OEM version from the place that I purchased most of the components from. It was about $165, in stead of the $300 that the stores wanted at the time (NOT an upgrade, since I had no pc before this one).

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Any 802.11b wireless router will be compatable with airport, you just may need a firmware update to do it. (on the router)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
my wirless questions

Im about to go wireless my self. I plan on getting a linksys EtherRast Wirless AP router w/ 4 port switch, the Linksys USB remote wireless network adapter for a Win98 box and the Skyline 11Mb PCI Card for Mac (Bundled) for a 233 G3 Beige desktop running OS 8.1. the only problem is that the proxim site says that there are some problems using the skyine with some Macs that are in the same family as the 233. Mine is not listed but I am a little scared to try it. Has anyone use the skyline with a Mac like mine before??

http://www.proxim.com/products/all/skyline/pn476bld/index.html

What do you guys think about the set up. Im going to plug my Quicksilver directly into the router. No sence in buying another card.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
To anyone about to go wireless.... As far as I know, the wireless hardware uses the same frequency as the higher quality portable phones (2.4GHz). The phone will block the signal to/from the computer. I have had this happen when I am online with my laptop and get a phone call. If you already have a phone, that uses the 2.4GHz frequency, then you might want to consider not going wireless. If you have a phone that uses another frequency, then you should be ok. If you haven't a portable phone, then if/when you do get one, make sure it is not on the 2.4GHz...

Just some 411 to prevent headaches later.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: AlphaTech

Thanks for posting that! I have a 2.4Ghz phone. Dam that sucks. I didnt even think about that. When you said that it bocks the connection to the computer you mean that it blocks all of the computers on the network or just ones that are in the same room as the phone when you use it? what if the Phone is in the same room as the Router but not in the same room as the computers that routing off it? How bad is the blocking? Is the whole house effected by a simple phone call??

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have the base station in the same area as the phone base. This is all in the living room since I am in a one bedroom apartment. It doesn't matter where I go with the phone handset, it blocks the signal from the laptop to the base station. I don't know if it would do the same if they were in different rooms. But I have a feeling that if you went into the room with the wireless computer while talking on the portable that you would get booted from the network.

I'd suggest either calling Apple or one of their retail stores, if you cannot get to one easily, and asking them.

I have noticed that the chanel keeps changing on the base station, but I still get kicked off when I get a phone call. It does get annoying. I have gotten to the point that I use my cell phone when I am online doing something important and need to make a call.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
man....

That sucks. Due to the house.. I have to go wireless or put holes in the walls for Cat 5. I guess that means I need to get a new phone if I go wireless. they sill sell k900MHz phones and they are cheeper too. Ony problem is that I just got my 2.4GHz phone! I guess I will have to sell it or something if I cant use it in the house. I guess I will test it out and see. Maybe as long as i stay out of the room where the wirless computer is... it will be ok. ... Thanks for posting about it. I probably would have taken forever to figure out what was wrong with my network. I could just see my self calling tech suport on my cordless to find out what was wrong with the stupid thing. that would have been great.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
got it to work!

I hooked it all up last night and every thing works and the phone doesnt seem to effect anything. Even the signal strength between the AP and the client seems to stay stable.

Got everything to work including port forwarding!!

NOw im just waiting on one more delivery so I can hook up one more Mac to the network.

Patchrik

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2002
Ventura County CA
wireless networking PC/Mac with Linksys

Ok, I give up. Now I'm asking. I have a Compaq laptop running 2ooo on my left. On my right is a Power PC G4 running OS 9. I have the latest Linksys AP Router/Switch. On the PC I have pc maclan 8.0 and on the mac I have Dave 3.1. I can't get either one to recongnize the other let alone talk to one another. I've manipulated the settings every which way possible. The manuals all are very brief when it comes to this part giving me the impression that it should not be this difficult to just share a file between the two. They both access the net though. The mac is hardwired to the AP and the laptop is using a PCMCIA 11 MBps pmcia card. Surely I'm missing something here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Patchrik:

I can't help you with what you're using, but I can suggest a better way.

I spent hours and hours trying ot do what you're doing, with no luck, regardless of numerous emails and message board posts. Then I got a program called 'Sharity'. It rocks. I got it to work in a couple of minutes, easy as.

Only problem is, it runs in OS X only, it won't work in Mac OS 9...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Beej, where do you find that software? I would be interested in giving it a shot to enable file sharing between the game peecee and my TiBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.