Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
Hey! I convinced my friend to get a new iBook over a PC, which is awesome of course, but now we are having problems and its making me look like a fool and he's questioning his new found faith in the macintosh.

He got a new iBook and he is using straight up dial up access to the net, it was working fine the first couple days, but now, right when he hits the connect button, it pops up this window:

Cannot connect, you have an incorrect PPP option, please check your settings and try again.

We didnt change anything! It just started happening! We tried to change a lot of stuff, same crap! I had him reboot in OS 9, and it connects just fine!!!!! Im on it right now! How in the hell can I get this white stallion surfing the net is OS X, please help me!!!

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Just try re-entering all the settings, something must have gotten changed in the set up.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
We have reentered all the setting god knows how many times, we have made new locations and everything, come on mac faithful, help!

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
just a thought, but have you checked the System preferences network setting, in addicition to the Internet Connect app?

make sure "Internal Modem" is selected. that sometimes swirches to ethernet all on its own.

also, make sure that your IP address begins with 24 or 192 (if using a router). If it starts with 169, you need to unplug the phone jack and log out.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Find the preferences and Delete them.

Do a search for files with the words internet, modem, connect, PPP etc. in the Preferences folder inside his home folder (contained in library.) And delete the preferences, then logout and in. As a last resort, you could just delete his Library folder, and re-enter all of the information.

Another option would be to create another user, and have him login to the new user, enter the PPP connect information and try to connect. If it does, then it is not a hardware problem but some preference in the orginal user was damaged.

You should also check at http://discussions.info.apple.com/ and search in the OS X forum for other discussions about modem troubles.

If worse comes to worse, just re-install the thing...or take it back to the Apple Store, I am sure they'll fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.