Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I just watched the Pirates of Silicon Valley movie. I thought it was great!! I'd love a 'Part 2' though. Where Steve turns Apple around, the iPod, iMac, OS X etc.

I have to say, I'm a big fan of both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and I always have been. Yes a lot of people on here don't like Bill Gates or Microsoft but I have a huge amount of respect for them and yes I even like their operating systems!!

I'd heard that Steve Jobs came across very badly in this film but I didn't think he was that bad, he seemed to be in control most of the time and in fact the film felt fairly neutral. Like I said, I'd really like a 'Part 2' though because both Microsoft and Apple have travelled lightyears since the point at which the film finishes and it'd be really cool to see!

Spanky

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
THe movie ends around 1987. So, I would think a Part 2 would make sense in about 5-10 years as we see how the next 5 years of Apple plays out.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
IJ Reilly said:
Just remember, it's only a movie. They played fast and loose with the facts.

Yeah I know! I know how to see through films like this and see the true facts, I paused it about a million times to read things that were mentioned up on Wikipedia. I'm all about facts, me and I don't tend to be swayed by the media or propaganda. Apart from when Steve Jobs gives keynotes. Then I'm sold. :eek:

I guess it would be good to wait a few years to make another film like this, after the Intel transition has been completed, Longhorn's come out and to see how everything pans out although a lot has happened since 1987. The iMac, the IBM G5 notebook saga, the behind-IBM's-back switch to Intel, trouble with Adobe, the first Mac that's Windows compatible while on the Microsoft front there's the numerous law suits, Windows 95, Windows 2000, Media Centres, the Xbox, the whole OS/2 saga, Internet Explorer as the default browser on the Mac, the current relationship between Microsoft and Apple on Office etc. There's a hell of a lot to be told and it would be quite a cool thing to watch!

Spanky

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
For a more realistic overview of what happened in this period of computer history, you should watch Robert X Cringely's "Triumph of the Nerds".

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
thequicksilver said:
For a more realistic overview of what happened in this period of computer history, you should watch Robert X Cringely's "Triumph of the Nerds".
Yes, well "Triumph of the Nerds" should have had another by now remember he said another in ten years (at the end of movie 3), and I have yet to see it, but then again both would be nice to have anohter one, but I aggree wait a few more years to see where Apple is taking us, with Intel, iPods, and maybe PDA devices
:rolleyes: ;) :D

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Spanky Deluxe said:
I thought it was great!

I took out a copy from the library and watched it last month. Performances from main characters were very entertaining and a follow-up would be welcome given the forcefulness of the personalities involved, coupled with massive egos and profound industry changes since the late 1980s.

dylan

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
I watched it a couple months ago. I thought it was very well done. Does anyone know the name of the piano piece that jobs played during his confrontation with gates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.