PDA

View Full Version : Auto Save in InDesign.

dogbone
Mar 22, 2006, 12:15 AM
I sort of suspected the .idlk file with a lock on it was some kind of auto save but after having a power blackout and then finding that I didn't lose any work make me more interested in this feature.

Mainly I was wondering how often it auto saves and if this time can be altered.

'Auto save' in ID help brought up nothing.

Lead Belly
Mar 23, 2006, 07:56 PM
I sort of suspected the .idlk file with a lock on it was some kind of auto save but after having a power blackout and then finding that I didn't lose any work make me more interested in this feature.

Mainly I was wondering how often it auto saves and if this time can be altered.

'Auto save' in ID help brought up nothing.

I think the auto-save feature is a constant thing happening in the background. It's more of an auto-backup for recovering files in case something horrible happens. An auto-save feature would replace/update the file you're working on as you're working on it. InDesign only saves when you do it manually or when recovering a file after a crash/loss of power/etc.

If it is how I think it is, there would be no way of modifying the increments of time. However, Adobe could be faking it and doing an auto-save every 2 seconds or something. If they are, any way to modify it would probably involve a command line prompt. CS 3 doesn't offer anything in preferences.