PDA

View Full Version : Some advice re: Powerbook G4

exsanguinate
Mar 22, 2006, 07:38 AM
This is my first post, I apologise for diving right in but I am curious as to if any of you have had a similar experience recently.

I purchased a Powerbook G4 (with 3 years of Applecare and a RAM and HDD upgrade) in December 2005. It has the lines problem that it seems many of you are aware of. I've been putting up with this until I was sure there seemed to be a fix - it appears that now Apple is replacing the screens with a line free model. So now I am considering the time is right to call Applecare and ask them about fixing the problem.

Unfortunately I have discovered another problem with the Mac - the fan is always on, even at boot from cold, in a cold room, etc. There is no way to stop it. I have checked the temp readouts and it appears the graphics chip is always reading 100 degrees C, no matter what the Mac is being used for. I have heard some reports that this requires a new logic board to fix.

So my machine seems to be pretty flawed and in need of some major repair. It seems now I have some hope of getting both repaired.

My question is this: when I bought the G4, being a Mac newbie I had no idea about the Intel chip switch and MacBook Pro on the horizon. If the Mac does need the logic board AND screen replacing, would it be worth be asking for a replacement machine in the form of a MacBook Pro, as I feel pretty cheated having been left with a faulty and inferior machine? Is there any chance they would do this or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maxiseller
Mar 22, 2006, 08:43 AM
Yeh, you have more chance finding a fart in a jacuzzi!

They certainly will repair for you, but as I was recently told by apple "we need multiple failures of varying hardware components to offer a replacement" and I really can't see that this qualifies.

What you could do, if you wished, is to sell your powerbook and pay the difference to a MacBook Pro...

The G4 is a great machine, and it will certainly give you another three years of life - just enjoy it would be my advice. When you come to upgrade in three years we could be up to octet cores running at 4GHz!

munckee
Mar 22, 2006, 08:44 AM
This is my first post, I apologise for diving right in but I am curious as to if any of you have had a similar experience recently.

I purchased a Powerbook G4 (with 3 years of Applecare and a RAM and HDD upgrade) in December 2005. It has the lines problem that it seems many of you are aware of. I've been putting up with this until I was sure there seemed to be a fix - it appears that now Apple is replacing the screens with a line free model. So now I am considering the time is right to call Applecare and ask them about fixing the problem.

Unfortunately I have discovered another problem with the Mac - the fan is always on, even at boot from cold, in a cold room, etc. There is no way to stop it. I have checked the temp readouts and it appears the graphics chip is always reading 100 degrees C, no matter what the Mac is being used for. I have heard some reports that this requires a new logic board to fix.

So my machine seems to be pretty flawed and in need of some major repair. It seems now I have some hope of getting both repaired.

My question is this: when I bought the G4, being a Mac newbie I had no idea about the Intel chip switch and MacBook Pro on the horizon. If the Mac does need the logic board AND screen replacing, would it be worth be asking for a replacement machine in the form of a MacBook Pro, as I feel pretty cheated having been left with a faulty and inferior machine? Is there any chance they would do this or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd be pretty shocked if they offered to upgrade it for you. Its still under warranty and those are relatively "normal" replacement issues for mac laptops (the screen for that particular model, and logic boards in general). If they started passing out MBP's right and left, who wouldn't want one instead of the warranty work they payed for in the form of applecare?

student_trap
Mar 22, 2006, 09:08 AM
yeah i can't see you getting a replacement. What Maxiseller says is correct, the G4 is still an awesome machine, so just enjoy it! Plus you can revel in the fact that your mac is 'old skool'. I jest I jest. But there is a certain charm with the PPC, especially when you read the old 'PPC is much better' threads that used to be posted here all the time!

dmw007
Mar 22, 2006, 09:30 AM
Apple should replace your PowerBook G4 if you give them a call...but I would be shocked if they offered to replace it with a MacBook Pro. If I were you, I would get Apple to fix the PowerBook G4, use it for a year or two, and then buy a new laptop (just imagine how fast they will be then).

exsanguinate
Mar 22, 2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys.

I will call them now to see if I can get it repaired.

AstrosFan
Mar 22, 2006, 11:08 AM

I agree with all the responders who say that you are highly unlikely to get Apple to replace it with a MBP.
You mention that you were unaware of the Intel chip switch - ultimately, the responsibility for that has to lie with you & not Apple.
Also, whlie your PB has had trouble, I don't think anyone would agree that the PB G4 as a whole is "a faulty and inferior machine."
In fact, quite the opposite. There are many people on the forums here who prefer their PB to the new MBP, at least until they perceive that the initial bugs have been worked out.
While I understand your angst, I don't think you'll be able to upgrade for free.
The good news is, once you get those issues taken care of, you've still got a sweet computer that should serve you well for the next few years!
Best wishes!

AlBDamned
Mar 22, 2006, 11:16 AM
A repair is definitely more likely in any first and second instances. The third or fourth time a PB needs repairing is generally a different story but it varies on what the problems are.

However, if you've got Applecare, the repair process should be pretty swift as they tend to treat it with a touch more importance than that of the standard warranty.

exsanguinate
Mar 23, 2006, 03:22 AM
I really feel like an ungrateful b'stard now! heh.

You're all of course right, it is a damn nice machine and I should feel lucky I own one at all.

Haven't called applecare yet, I'm not sure if the issue(s) are recognised problems here in the UK. Trying to decide how to describe the problem, a little worried they won't know what I'm going on about.

Cloudgazer
Mar 23, 2006, 08:17 AM
Actually, I think there is a chance they might offer you a macbook.

Last month a friend of mine purchased the 17' powerbook, but there was something wrong with the screen.
Apple offered to replace the 17' powerbook or let him 'upgrade' to a macbook.

You may as well try and get a macbook from them.
Afterall nothing ventured nothing gained.

The worst case scenario is that they fix your current pbook or they will replace it.
You can't lose.

brikeh
Mar 23, 2006, 08:30 AM
Me personally I wouldnt trade a 17" PB for a MacBook. Not a chance.

kretzy
Mar 23, 2006, 08:44 AM
Actually, I think there is a chance they might offer you a macbook.

Last month a friend of mine purchased the 17' powerbook, but there was something wrong with the screen.
Apple offered to replace the 17' powerbook or let him 'upgrade' to a macbook.

You may as well try and get a macbook from them.
Afterall nothing ventured nothing gained.

The worst case scenario is that they fix your current pbook or they will replace it.
You can't lose.

That's only because the 17'' PB is the same price as the MBP.