Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Except that the new firegl wont be used in that motherboard, thats a server class mobo for 1U enclosures. your comparing three markets here. server, high end workstation and consumers so you can't really clam or state anything. btw thats a 1.2 grand mobo fyi.

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
It's still a major break through for PC mother boards and video cards.
They will soon have this system for everyone to use.
As far as the cost, everything that is new is always over priced.
I'm not stating or claiming anything, just informing people of the new PC technology that is out there.

iCeQuBe

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
CT
MacTruck said:
I WANT ONE!

Thats just awesome. I give it 3 months before you can get this for non server use. Can't wait.

You will never see a quad cpu mobo for consumers. They just don't need that type of power. It will only be for server. High-End workstations will have dual cpu support but not quad. Not for a long time.

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
iCeQuBe said:
They just don't need that type of power.

Excuss me but I need that power now!
I run 3D CAD/BIM modelers for building structures and these programs are very processor hungry.
Maybe a Mac user doesn't need that power; but a PC user surely does.

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Did I miss something?
That motherboard fits in a 1U enclosure. That tells me SERVER, not PC. On the scale of an Xserve, not a PowerMac (which in itself is pretty heavy duty {Wasn't there once a supercomputer built out of PowerMacs?}) and definitely not a consumer oriented computer.
So quit drooling. Sure, get that puppy for your business. But Vista won't be out (except in beta) for nearly another year.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
iCeQuBe said:
You will never see a quad cpu mobo for consumers. They just don't need that type of power.

Actually, it's more a cost thing plus the fact that most consumer software doesn't know what to do with two CPUs, let alone four. Someday (as the limits of silicon are reached) everything will be multi-CPU aware, but we have years to wait for that to happen.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
iCeQuBe said:
You will never see a quad cpu mobo for consumers. They just don't need that type of power.

I need that power for web surfing. I mean it. I want the page to load before I type the URL.

You can NEVER have enough power. PERIOD!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The Quad SLI in the XPS 600 is impressive on paper but in the real world not worth the cost - in some situations it is slower than a single video card of similar type.

BTW, speaking of video cards, did any of you notice the video hardware on the OP's quad AMD motherboard? NO video card slot and an embedded ATI Rage XL w/8MB VRAM....The last time I saw a Rage it was in my vintage 1998 G3 iMac! :eek: :eek: Fine for a sever but hardly acceptable for a consumer system!!!

Cadkiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
But it has a PCI Express slot that can handle a second high end video card.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
True - I missed that. But it's only an 8x, which is puzzling (as is the choice of the onboard Rage) given the cost of the hardware.

A dual-core or dual CPU high-end desktop would probably match this beast's performance much of the time (due to the inability of software to take advantage of the hardware) at a much lower cost.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The Xserve has had such a low profile for months now that I wonder if Apple is selling any, and if they intend to keep making them in the future...:confused:

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
They will update it, but it has to be really good so it really doesn't crashes. So I think Apple is putting much more R&D and testing in it. Also the wait is for the Intel 64 bit procesors. They aren't out yet and I don't think Apple will bring an intermediate model out. Same for the new PowerMac.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well, I certianly don't expect to see a new Xserve until they can sell it with a Conroe or even newer chip...but I wonder how long they'll sell the G5 model. Will their be a gap, or will it be available right up to when a new model is released? The Xserve needs to be supported longer than a consumer machine so Apple will be dealing with Xserve G5s long after PPC support is EOL'd for other Macs. So their might be an OS X server for PPC after the consumer side is 100% Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.