Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
so i do have an xp cd...

Hello!

it turns out that i have the install disk that came with my pc. it is winxp pro service pack 2, version 2002.

but it says "for distribution with a new pc only, for product support contact the manufacturer of your pc" on it.

will this disk work on my macbook pro?

thanks,
r.

is this a silly question?

damon5334

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
whyrichard said:
It turns out that i have the install disk that came with my pc. it is winxp pro service pack 2, version 2002.

but it says "for distribution with a new pc only, for product support contact the manufacturer of your pc" on it.

will this disk work on my macbook pro?

Chances are, it would install... however, you would be unable to activate it. Unless you bought a copy specifically for this, your copy will only work for 30 days, or whatever it is that they give you for an activation period.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
but then i can purchase a licsence?

should i just go out and get a new disk?

r.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
damon5334 said:
Chances are, it would install... however, you would be unable to activate it. Unless you bought a copy specifically for this, your copy will only work for 30 days, or whatever it is that they give you for an activation period.

What? Why wouldn't it activate?

I've used OEM Disks on custom or other companies PCs - in fact, thats the only way to install Media Center Edition...

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
has anyone used an oem disk? so will it work?

just wanna save myself a long drive. don't mind paying for xp while i register or whatever convoluted process xp and microsoft has.

r.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.