Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I noticed this scholarship on apple's website the other day, and it got me thinking...

http://www.apple.com/education/students/scholars/

...I am a college freshman and have been doing lots of video production work for years now, with a few recent pieces that I'm quite proud of. I'd just like to know if anyone can help me find related scholarships or contests that I can enter my work into. The link above is for high school seniors only, unfortunately, but I would like to know if there are any other similar scholarships available for college students.

I have searched websites such as Fastweb before, but I've found that most of the options there are essay contests, rather than anything creative. I will continue to browse their listings, but now I'm tying to see if I can get in contact with anyone in a related industry who might know of something that would be fitting for me.

Other than contests and scholarships, I would be interested in sending some samples of my work out to companies or organizations that may be interested in hiring me for freelance video/design work.

Between home and school, I am always in Kansas City and Springfield, MO. If anyone knows of any freelance job opportunities near these areas, I would appreciate the info! I specialize in event videography (musical/theatre productions, marching bands, weddings, etc) and am very skilled in Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, and Photoshop, among others.

Please let me know if anyone has any contacts or knowledge of such opportunities, because I am very interested. Even if I don't find any paying jobs or scholarships, it would be good to gain some recognition that would certainly help me build my small business.

Thanks!

Graeme

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
Delta, BC
You can always enter your work into film festivals. If you win one of those or get any sort of award it would be a huge plus on your resume/website/whatever.

-Graeme

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Graeme said:
You can always enter your work into film festivals. If you win one of those or get any sort of award it would be a huge plus on your resume/website/whatever.
Do you know of any film festivals specifically? I'll do some looking around, but I thought you might know of a few.

Also, the piece I would be most interested in submitting is not a film, but an edited video of a high school musical my sister was in recently. Are projects such as that one permitted at film festivals or are they strictly for feature films?

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
pdpfilms said:
What a scam! You win, and what do you get? A certificate... that allows you to BUY their $150 trophy!!
No thanks.
I would tend to think the same thing. However, if this is a nationally-recognized award, it may still be worth a shot. Still seems like a scam though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.