View Full Version : Typesetting question re. hair spaces

Mar 22, 2006, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know how to display hair spaces in OS X without using layout design software?

Mar 22, 2006, 08:50 PM
I'm confused. Are you trying to type hairspaces? If so in what program, or are you trying to show hairspaces in the screen displays of OSX? And if so... I have no idea.

Mar 23, 2006, 03:59 AM
Sorry, I should have made my question clearer.

I'd like to type hair spaces either side of em dashes in TextEdit, MS Word, etc. and wondered whether there was a system-wide shortcut that I could use.

Mar 23, 2006, 09:37 AM
As far as I know, hair spaces aren't even an official character, so I doubt you can type them with a standard key command in any application. TextEdit won't even recognize them as hair spaces when opened/pasted. Heck, even in InDesign you can't type one directly into a search box.

Mar 23, 2006, 01:42 PM
Well, that answers that. I guess I'll just have to continue setting them unspaced. Thanks for the responses.