PDA

View Full Version : powerbook G4 keeps freezing!

twoodcc
Mar 22, 2006, 08:04 PM
my 15" powerbook 1.67 ghz keeps freezing and i don't know why. it will freeze when all i have is itunes and maybe ical running. today it froze in class! not good, any ideas? i've barely had it 6 months, if that.

mjstew33
Mar 22, 2006, 08:07 PM
Repairing permissions? Reset PRAM? Run FSCK?

twoodcc
Mar 22, 2006, 08:16 PM
Repairing permissions? Reset PRAM? Run FSCK?

i have been repairing permissions. how do i reset PRAM? how do i run FSCK?

i've also verified disk, and it came out ok

elisha cuthbert
Mar 22, 2006, 08:59 PM
ive had alot of problems with my laptop freezing (and so has my uncle) all we have done is an archive and install and then everything worked fine but since the last time ( after 10.4.2) everything has been fine.

twoodcc
Mar 22, 2006, 10:51 PM
ive had alot of problems with my laptop freezing (and so has my uncle) all we have done is an archive and install and then everything worked fine but since the last time ( after 10.4.2) everything has been fine.

well i actually did an archive and install not too long ago, and everything seemed fine until about a week or so ago. i can't just keep doing archive and install every 3 weeks

p0intblank
Mar 22, 2006, 10:53 PM
Does it just freeze and nothing happens? Or do you get a box telling you to restart the computer?

IJ Reilly
Mar 23, 2006, 12:40 AM
well i actually did an archive and install not too long ago, and everything seemed fine until about a week or so ago. i can't just keep doing archive and install every 3 weeks

No, don't do another install. Download and run this (http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19596) in single use mode. Do you know how to reboot into single user mode?

If that doesn't help, you've almost certainly got a hardware problem. Have you installed any new RAM lately?

twoodcc
Mar 23, 2006, 10:34 AM
Does it just freeze and nothing happens? Or do you get a box telling you to restart the computer?

it just freezes and i can't do anything. the clock stops, everything. no box or anything

twoodcc
Mar 23, 2006, 10:40 AM
No, don't do another install. Download and run this (http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19596) in single use mode. Do you know how to reboot into single user mode?

If that doesn't help, you've almost certainly got a hardware problem. Have you installed any new RAM lately?

thanks, i'll try that. i've never booted in single user mode before, but i'll try to figure it out. i've done the apple hardward test before, and yes i have added more RAM, but not lately. and the RAM passed the hardware tests.

IJ Reilly
Mar 23, 2006, 10:57 AM
thanks, i'll try that. i've never booted in single user mode before, but i'll try to figure it out. i've done the apple hardward test before, and yes i have added more RAM, but not lately. and the RAM passed the hardware tests.

Quick instruction: restart, hold down cmd-s until the black screen appears. If you've installed AppleJack, the instructions for running it will appear before the prompt.

Personally though, I'm guessing a hardware problem. I'd suggest removing that RAM and running it that way for a while.

twoodcc
Mar 23, 2006, 11:05 AM
Quick instruction: restart, hold down cmd-s until the black screen appears. If you've installed AppleJack, the instructions for running it will appear before the prompt.

Personally though, I'm guessing a hardware problem. I'd suggest removing that RAM and running it that way for a while.

thanks. i ran it. i don't know what all it did though. do i need to do anything else, now that i've booted back up normally?

i really don't want to take out the ram, i did pay money for it and i want to use my 2 GB's of RAM.

if i still have problems, do you think i should take it to the apple store?

UKnjb
Mar 23, 2006, 12:31 PM

Sorry for butting into this thread.

That is a Top Tip, IJ Reilly - thanks. I have been using a variety of methods for performing all the various maintenance procedures and hadn't heard of Applejack until you mentioned it. Downloaded and ran it (on my PM G4) and --- brilliant!

Excellent Readme.rtf that comes with the package, including this:
APPLEJACK REQUIREMENTS
1. Mac OS X 10.2.x, 10.3.x, or 10.4.x (but see known issues for 10.4, 10.4.1, 10.4.2)
2. The ability to boot into single user mode (some users may be locked out from single user mode because of corporate IT policies).
3. A wired keyboard, unless you are using Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later. (Previous versions of Mac OS X do not support wireless keyboards in single user mode.)
4. An ability to read documentation, and follow instructions.

Heb1228
Mar 23, 2006, 12:57 PM
i really don't want to take out the ram, i did pay money for it and i want to use my 2 GB's of RAM.
Even though your RAM passed the hardware test, that is still the most likely culprit. You need to take out 3rd party RAM and reinstall the original stick that came with the machine. See if that solves your problem.

Where did you get the RAM from?

twoodcc
Mar 23, 2006, 04:11 PM
Even though your RAM passed the hardware test, that is still the most likely culprit. You need to take out 3rd party RAM and reinstall the original stick that came with the machine. See if that solves your problem.

Where did you get the RAM from?

well i have installed 2 - 1 GB sticks myself. they are not the same brand, and i know that's not that good, but before, i had one 512 stick that came with it and 1 gb stick i installed myself, and i never had a problem. a few months later i added another 1 gb stick, and it is corsair value select. i bought it at Fry's Electronics

WildCowboy
Mar 23, 2006, 04:16 PM
Corsair does not guarantee their Value Select RAM to work with Macs...could definitely be the problem.

IJ Reilly
Mar 23, 2006, 04:26 PM
You could download memtest from VersionTracker, and run that. It's a bit of a pain to use, but it does a much deeper test on your RAM than the Hardware Test CD that came with your Mac (which I presume you've already run).

I realize you don't want to give up your extra RAM, but you really need to remove it, if only as a diagnostic method.

IJ Reilly
Mar 23, 2006, 04:27 PM
Sorry for butting into this thread.

That is a Top Tip, IJ Reilly - thanks. I have been using a variety of methods for performing all the various maintenance procedures and hadn't heard of Applejack until you mentioned it. Downloaded and ran it (on my PM G4) and --- brilliant!

Pleasure. I recommend Applejack to the point of being tiresome about it. :)

Heb1228
Mar 23, 2006, 06:24 PM
a few months later i added another 1 gb stick, and it is corsair value select.
Any memory with the word "value" in it is a prime candidate for causing problems. I had some Crucial 'value' something or other that was causing problems on my PB a few months ago.

twoodcc
Mar 23, 2006, 09:11 PM
You could download memtest from VersionTracker, and run that. It's a bit of a pain to use, but it does a much deeper test on your RAM than the Hardware Test CD that came with your Mac (which I presume you've already run).

I realize you don't want to give up your extra RAM, but you really need to remove it, if only as a diagnostic method.

thanks, i guess i'll try the memtest. if it passes it then i think the ram is not the problem. let's hope that the applejack fixed the problem. if not, i'll post back

Heb1228
Mar 24, 2006, 12:28 AM
thanks, i guess i'll try the memtest. if it passes it then i think the ram is not the problem. let's hope that the applejack fixed the problem. if not, i'll post back
The memory I had passed memtest, but it was sill bad. When I replaced it, all my problems went away.

Look man, if your Mac keeps crashing, you probably have a hardware problem. If you've reinstalled and it still keeps crashing, then its almost certain.

twoodcc
Mar 24, 2006, 10:21 AM
The memory I had passed memtest, but it was sill bad. When I replaced it, all my problems went away.

Look man, if your Mac keeps crashing, you probably have a hardware problem. If you've reinstalled and it still keeps crashing, then its almost certain.

thanks for letting me know that, but i still wouldn't feel right just throwing away a gig of ram. if it passes the tests, i think it should work, and if it doesn't, then there's something wrong with my laptop.

i did reinstall, but i did an archive and install. we all know that it's better to do a regular reinstall instead, but i will admit that i was suprized at how well i didnt lose anything. much better than windows.

IJ Reilly
Mar 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
thanks for letting me know that, but i still wouldn't feel right just throwing away a gig of ram. if it passes the tests, i think it should work, and if it doesn't, then there's something wrong with my laptop.

i did reinstall, but i did an archive and install. we all know that it's better to do a regular reinstall instead, but i will admit that i was suprized at how well i didnt lose anything. much better than windows.

Don't throw it away, just take it out. If the Mac stops crashing, then you've found the problem. This should be your first priority!

Reinstalls of OSX rarely solve any problem that couldn't be solved more easily. OSX is much better than Windows because it doesn't auto-hose -- reinstalling should be the last thing you try.

twoodcc
Apr 10, 2006, 12:51 AM
Don't throw it away, just take it out. If the Mac stops crashing, then you've found the problem. This should be your first priority!

Reinstalls of OSX rarely solve any problem that couldn't be solved more easily. OSX is much better than Windows because it doesn't auto-hose -- reinstalling should be the last thing you try.

well i still haven't taken the ram out yet. but i still say that it can't be the ram. i think it might be the logic board.

when it does crash, it usually doesn't crash until it's been on for a few days straight.

should i just take it in the apple store? if it is the logic board or something, what will happen to it?

CanadaRAM
Apr 10, 2006, 01:04 AM
well i still haven't taken the ram out yet. but i still say that it can't be the ram. i think it might be the logic board.

when it does crash, it usually doesn't crash until it's been on for a few days straight.

should i just take it in the apple store? if it is the logic board or something, what will happen to it?
I'm sorry, but you can't conclude it's not the RAM without actually taking it out. The RAM after all is ON the logic board...

If you take it to the Apple Store with the Corsair RAM in it , there is a chance they'll just hand the machine back to you with the RAM in a baggie and say "its that nasty third party RAM" - whether it is or isnt. You really want to reinstall the stock Apple RAM before you take it into them.

What will happen depends if it is still under the 1 yr warranty or the optional 3 yr. Applecare. If it is under warranty, they will fix it if it is a broken hardware problem. If it is out of warranty and the logic board needs fixing, then you are looking at $$$$. Unless the machine falls under the extended warranty for the lower memory socket problem, in which case you might be able to argue that it should be covered.

Good Luck

twoodcc
Apr 10, 2006, 07:44 AM
I'm sorry, but you can't conclude it's not the RAM without actually taking it out. The RAM after all is ON the logic board...

If you take it to the Apple Store with the Corsair RAM in it , there is a chance they'll just hand the machine back to you with the RAM in a baggie and say "its that nasty third party RAM" - whether it is or isnt. You really want to reinstall the stock Apple RAM before you take it into them.

What will happen depends if it is still under the 1 yr warranty or the optional 3 yr. Applecare. If it is under warranty, they will fix it if it is a broken hardware problem. If it is out of warranty and the logic board needs fixing, then you are looking at $$$$. Unless the machine falls under the extended warranty for the lower memory socket problem, in which case you might be able to argue that it should be covered.

Good Luck

thanks. it is still under the 1 year warranty. maybe i will take the ram out, even though it just passed the Memtest. it seems like if it passes all of these tests, then it must be the logic board. if take the ram out, and then the problems goes away, it's like i can't put any ram in that slot, and i paid for 2 slots

discoforce
Apr 10, 2006, 09:25 AM
thanks. it is still under the 1 year warranty. maybe i will take the ram out, even though it just passed the Memtest. it seems like if it passes all of these tests, then it must be the logic board. if take the ram out, and then the problems goes away, it's like i can't put any ram in that slot, and i paid for 2 slots

As others have said, the ram can STILL be the problem even if it passed the Memtest. Sure, it COULD be the logic board but you can't tell unless you remove the ram.

I don't understand your point that if you take the ram out and your computer stops freezing that means you can only use one slot. :confused:

If I were you (and I've had to do this myself), I'd try several ram configurations (1G only, 1G + 512MB, 512MB only...) placing them in both the upper and lower ram slots.

You might find:
a) that the Corsair ram is the problem - if so, call Fry's and get your $ back
b) that the older 1G ram you added is the problem - if so, call whomever and get your money back
c) that one of your ram slots no longer works no matter what ram you put into it - if so, put in your original ram configuration (512mb?) and take it to the Apple Store, probably for a logic board replacement.

In every one of those possible outcomes, you'll get a working computer with 2 Gigs of ram. Right now you have a non-working computer with 2 Gigs of ram. What's to lose?

twoodcc
Apr 10, 2006, 10:12 AM
As others have said, the ram can STILL be the problem even if it passed the Memtest. Sure, it COULD be the logic board but you can't tell unless you remove the ram.

I don't understand your point that if you take the ram out and your computer stops freezing that means you can only use one slot. :confused:

If I were you (and I've had to do this myself), I'd try several ram configurations (1G only, 1G + 512MB, 512MB only...) placing them in both the upper and lower ram slots.

You might find:
a) that the Corsair ram is the problem - if so, call Fry's and get your $ back
b) that the older 1G ram you added is the problem - if so, call whomever and get your money back
c) that one of your ram slots no longer works no matter what ram you put into it - if so, put in your original ram configuration (512mb?) and take it to the Apple Store, probably for a logic board replacement.

In every one of those possible outcomes, you'll get a working computer with 2 Gigs of ram. Right now you have a non-working computer with 2 Gigs of ram. What's to lose?

you do have a point. i guess i'll try it

Thanks, i'll post back with results

twoodcc
Apr 10, 2006, 11:18 AM
well i switched the last stick of ram that i had put in with the one that came with the laptop.

so now, what tests should i do to see if it's gonna crash?

before it didn't crash that often, just about every 2-3 days or so (of uptime)

any suggestions?

discoforce
Apr 10, 2006, 03:12 PM
well i switched the last stick of ram that i had put in with the one that came with the laptop.

so now, what tests should i do to see if it's gonna crash?

before it didn't crash that often, just about every 2-3 days or so (of uptime)

any suggestions?

I don't know of any tests you can try other than the ones that have already been recommended in this thread. From your original post it sounds like it would crash when you were using it heavily, so I'd start turning everything on and watch what it does.

twoodcc
Apr 10, 2006, 11:19 PM
I don't know of any tests you can try other than the ones that have already been recommended in this thread. From your original post it sounds like it would crash when you were using it heavily, so I'd start turning everything on and watch what it does.

alright, i'll try everything. i'll post back later i guess

twoodcc
Apr 11, 2006, 12:32 AM
after looking under system profiler, i see that for the apple stick of ram, it says SODIMM1/J23REVERSED

what does that mean? is reversed bad?

the other stick of ram says SODIMM0/J20STANDARD

CanadaRAM
Apr 11, 2006, 12:39 AM
after looking under system profiler, i see that for the apple stick of ram, it says SODIMM1/J23REVERSED

what does that mean? is reversed bad?

the other stick of ram says SODIMM0/J20STANDARD
That is standard. If you noticed when you installed the RAM, one module went label-side down and the other was label side up - that's all reversed and standard mean.

Heb1228
Apr 11, 2006, 01:05 AM
I've told you like three times above that the memory i had passed the exact same test and was still bad. I really don't understand why you're having a hard time grasping that fact.

Has it crashed with just the original RAM in it yet? You said it would crash approx. every 2-3 days, so I'd say if you make it 4 or 5 days with no problems, you should be pretty satisfied bad memory really is the problem.

twoodcc
Apr 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
That is standard. If you noticed when you installed the RAM, one module went label-side down and the other was label side up - that's all reversed and standard mean.

oh ok, thanks i was just checking to make sure

twoodcc
Apr 11, 2006, 10:16 AM
I've told you like three times above that the memory i had passed the exact same test and was still bad. I really don't understand why you're having a hard time grasping that fact.

Has it crashed with just the original RAM in it yet? You said it would crash approx. every 2-3 days, so I'd say if you make it 4 or 5 days with no problems, you should be pretty satisfied bad memory really is the problem.

the reason is b/c i paid over $100 for that ram, and i want to get my money's worth.

it's still going so far with 1.5 gigs now. but only 23 hours uptime right now

twoodcc
Apr 12, 2006, 12:52 PM
well it's still going at just over 2 days now. now if it goes well over 3 days with no freezing, then i'll be convinced. if it freezes at 10 days, i think i'll take it in to the apple store

discoforce
Apr 12, 2006, 01:36 PM
well it's still going at just over 2 days now. now if it goes well over 3 days with no freezing, then i'll be convinced. if it freezes at 10 days, i think i'll take it in to the apple store

Great! And if it continues not to freeze, get your $$$ back on that ram and buy some that has a guarantee.

twoodcc
Apr 12, 2006, 04:26 PM
Great! And if it continues not to freeze, get your $$$ back on that ram and buy some that has a guarantee.

i'll try to get my money back if it doesn't freeze again. i've had the ram for a few months though

Heb1228
Apr 15, 2006, 03:40 AM
the reason is b/c i paid over $100 for that ram, and i want to get my money's worth.
Thats like driving around on a flat tire just because you 'want your moneys' worth. If its not working, then give it up!

Tomaz
Apr 15, 2006, 09:58 AM
I had the same problem as you. My powerbook worked fine for 2 years, the suddenly random crashes. I reinstalled the system, still crashes. I wanted to uprade my RAM anyway (2x512 --> 1x512, 1x1GB), so I bought a 1GB RAM and replaced one of my 512MB RAMs, still crashes, I then put that 512MB RAMs back into the PB and replaced the other 512MB RAM, and suddenly no more crashes.

So, before you do anything else (like reinstalling the system), check your RAM.
I sure you can solve the problem like this. Good luck!! :)

javajawa
Apr 25, 2006, 06:14 PM
I had the same thing happening on and off for no apparent reason as well. It was suggested that it might be the seating of the RAM. So, I simply shut down and removed and reinstalled the RAM. Sure enough, I haven't had a single freeze since. Granted it's only been about a week, but it's the longest I've gone in quite a while without a freeze. Something to try...

twoodcc
Apr 25, 2006, 09:50 PM
I had the same thing happening on and off for no apparent reason as well. It was suggested that it might be the seating of the RAM. So, I simply shut down and removed and reinstalled the RAM. Sure enough, I haven't had a single freeze since. Granted it's only been about a week, but it's the longest I've gone in quite a while without a freeze. Something to try...

thanks. sorry i didn't update this post.

i've just kept the 512 in there, and i haven't had a crash yet. over 7 days uptime right now. it could have been the seeding of it though.

after i get done with school this semester, i might try to put the 1 gb stick back in

crowalita
May 9, 2006, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone. I have had my mac for about two years now. I had problems with it my first year, but when I took it to the repair store they said that the only problem was loose RAM and they fixed it within days. After that, all was fine, but now it freezes for no reason. I have discovered that I can trick my PB by:
1) Unplugging the charger. It will still freeze after a couple of hours but it does it less often.
2) Tilting the PB (front up, back on the desk) for a couple of seconds -- it stops "thinking" when I do that.
I think that part of the problem is iTunes because the PB freezes more often when I am using iTunes. I know this are just temporary fixes for the big problem, and for all I know, I might be making the problem worst, but I havenít install any new RAM and last time my RAM was loose it didnít freeze, it would just make a weird beeping noise. Could the problem be iTunes or a virus??

IJ Reilly
May 9, 2006, 01:11 PM
It's not iTunes, and not a virus. If the problem was RAM before, it's likely to be RAM again. The vast majority of kernel panics (aka, freezes) are related to hardware problems, and most of them are RAM. You're probably seeing it more often with iTunes because it's got a large RAM footprint. Another memory-hog application would probably have the same effect. I'd suggest you remove that RAM and run the Mac without for awhile. Also, if you've experienced several kernel panics you need to run fsck to check for and repair hard drive problems.