Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrk07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Well the digital audio forum has an "introduce yourself" thread, so I would like to know what everybody on here does. I will get the ball rollin'.

Occupation: Student who is graduating soon and scared as hell that he wont find a job.

About you: I know the basics of Final Cut Pro, know everything from pre-production through distribution for independent films, but never did anything that I would be proud enough of to put on a reel. I really feel like I can edit good, but have never had footage that I actually liked. I feel very stuck in life at they young age of 21 because I feel like my university never gave me a good opportunity to form a reel. So yeah, I am planning on moving back home and finding freelance video/film work in San Francisco. PM me if you have any tips (or need an intern/production assistant) for me!

System/Software/Equipment used: iMac G5 with Final Cut Studio (educational version) and need the retail of FCP so that when I graduate in a few months I can legally use it to make money!

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
jrk07 said:
Well the digital audio forum has an "introduce yourself" thread, so I would like to know what everybody on here does. I will get the ball rollin'.

So yeah, I am planning on moving back home and finding freelance video/film work in San Francisco. PM me if you have any tips (or need an intern/production assistant) for me!

System/Software/Equipment used: iMac G5 with Final Cut Studio (educational version) and need the retail of FCP so that when I graduate in a few months I can legally use it to make money!

Chin-up! Sounds like you're headed in the right direction and have age on your side.

Me: I'm 32, mouths to feed and having spent the past 15-years in telecomms, I'm figuring out how to turn my 5-year hobbyist video/editing into more of a career, perhaps documentaries or short-film. I did BSc Elect. Engineering and an MBA and unfortunately I get the feeling I'm 15-years too late to start any long-term studies.

Working my way through the Final Cut Apple Cert books, thinking a way 'in' for me would be to know the tools. There's a 8-month documentary/short-film maker's intensive program starting at the local media school in September, which I'm seriously considering. It didn't look like I'd be the oldest student either, which would be nice! :D

Same setup by the way, iMac with Final Cut Pro. Planning to get my hands on the Univ.Binary Studio when it's available, though may wait and see if a new version of Studio is announced at NAB (which I'd have loved to go to).

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I have been Editing Video since 1985. I currently work for a TV station in London. For the last 10 years I have been editing & compositing on Quantels Editbox, before that I edited in tape suites (1'' SP Digibeta). I edit short form work such as promos Ads & sales tapes. We have just got 3x FCP suites connected to a Terrablock media server, with a few more suites replacing our Avids sometime later in the year. I also have FCP at home on my G5 2x2.7

When im not editing, I ride horses & play Bass in a Band (not at the same time!)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
well..

i have been learning (on my own) video and graphics stuff since i was in high school. started with premiere and strata studio pro (3D).

i studied film/tv at nyu and graduated in 2003. i focused on animation, mostly of the computer/3D variety. i had visions of special effects and/or character animation.

my personal life has kept me close to washington dc, which has a very limited market (lots of defense stuff, but that is not for me). i currently work as a temp in the county govt's housing department doing mindless crap. i have been looking for at least something video related (even being a PA, as that's how you most often start anyways). i have tried for jobs ranging from 3D animator to video work for the local county tv channel (still waiting to hear on that actually). in the meantime though, i recently won an oscar, i just got a new camera with my brother, we have a possibly prize winning short video out, are looking to create a business that will give me a bit more of a marketable identity... so it's going. but we'll see what happens. ultimately i'd like to have a company that does video, graphics, animation, etc for non-profit/social oriented companies for relatively low profit.

in other words, i'm a starving artist. ;)

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I'm 16 years old and I'm already worrying about how my future is going to unfold. ..(I kinda sounded like an idiot right there didn't I)

I have such a strong interest in doing film but don't have much to show for it at the moment that is acceptable for the average person that doesn't go to my school. At the moment I use FCP 5 and all the apps that are in my sig, I transfered from premiere pro just because of the fact it kept crashing and I hate windows. Back when I was 13-14, I used a little digital camera that was probably about 10 dollars and hoooked it up to my pc. The sound came out of the crt monitor that had a built in mic. You couldn't hear the characters unless u turned it up 500 db's. Don't even get me started on how horrible those videos were...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
nyu was good. you have access to some very good professors, some great resources for making movies/animations/etc. you are in one of the best cities in the world for filming in at least. and nyu has many good connections with various companies. none of them happen to be in DC though. ;)

between usc and nyu, from what i can tell the difference is which companies are connected to which school. want to work at mtv, pixar, or blue sky studios? go to nyu. want to work for lucasarts or ilm? go to usc. obviously there are cross connections, but you get the idea.

ultimately, any school, film or otherwise, is what you make of it. so, go in with the intention of making some great stuff while in school (for cheap) and then have something to show for yourself at the end of the 4 years. if not, it's a bit of a waste.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
I'm a director and writer. Well, I would be If I was done with film school, which I'm not.
I am currently in pre-production on one short film and writing a feature. I taught myself FCP and am learning Motion. Thought I consider myself to be a director, I am yet to find someone I trust to edit my footage and end up doing it all myself! :eek:
All the money I get is spent on filmmaking supplies (Cameras, Mic's, MacBook pro's...) so I still rely on people to drive me places. :eek:
I am going to Argentina to shoot a short film, a music video, a Coca Cola commercial and an Addias commercial at the end of April.
Do they have AirPort there?
You can see two of my early films on my website (below)
-Duncan

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
My name is Rich, i'm studying at Swansea Institute in Wales, for a BA in Video. I have just over two months to go.

This year was our first year in the new Sony Digital Centre, and so far there have been many gremlins in the system, i have two months left and the building still isn't finished, our lecturers don't know their arse from their elbows! To put it simply, this last year has been a complete farse.

I am a little unsure of my direction in the industry, as i wasn't originally studying Video, but Fine Art instead. I'd definately like to pursue a carreer in Video or Film, and would quite like the chance to work on Documentaries. I've been amazed at the BBC's new series Planet Earth, it has helped me seriously consider documentary film-making.

I would also jump at the chance to collaborate with people around the world.(HintHint)

I am teaching myself Final Cut Pro in Uni, but will probably buy my own copy when i graduate. I'm using a Sony PD-170 3CCD camera, which is bloody great.

I have a video online, I will probably upload my new work when i'm graduated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOEiJ9_sBYU

Nice to meet you all!

Rich.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Danksi said:
Lend us a tenner?

After G said:
I would like to be given ten too.

Sure.. here you go:

dime.gif

Buy yourself something nice!

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
I'm about to be a senior at East Texas Baptist University. I am studying Religion and Psychology. I work as a youth minister in a local town. I just started doing video stuff with the purchase of a DV camera during the summer last year and an iMac G5. I also went to China last summer and filmed the entire trip. Made a movie and DVD using the iLife suite.

This spring break I purchased a MacBook Pro 2.0 to do more video and picture editing. I love this stuff as a hobby... I don't really think I contain the creative juices it requires for a career, but I admire those that do!

Best of luck to you all! :)

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
I'm a 3rd year film student at the University of California, Santa Cruz. I'm big on editing and post-production. Been working on a few shorts and planning on doing a feature-length this summer. Definitely scared about going back to LA when I graduate, but I do have some older friends doing film down there that will help me out. I'm going to apply for internships at places like ilm (wishful thinking :D ), academy of television arts and sciences, etc for summer 07 after I graduate. Right now I'm just trying to learn all of the software I can and develop solid technique with each one.

I think a Worldwide MacRumors film collaboration would be really cool, count me in...

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I studied cinematography at the London International Film School, and have been a working cameraman for 5 years.

I have shot features, documentaries, commercials, reality TV, music videos etc.
I love to do more drama, but Norway is a small country, only 10-15 features are made each year:(
So it´s a lot of TV work at the moment, but at least I´m working.
It´s a very tough business to make it in, but if you really want it and work hard and succeed, it´s a great way to make a living.
So to everyone that´s starting out, don´t give up, take other jobs to make ends meet if you have to. It takes time to get to where one wants to be.
Good luck

jrk07

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
bigbossbmb said:
I think a Worldwide MacRumors film collaboration would be really cool, count me in...
Sounds like something I would be very interested in. If somebody comes up with a good idea of what kind of video we could make, feel free to post about it and we'll see what we can do.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
jrk07 said:
Sounds like something I would be very interested in. If somebody comes up with a good idea of what kind of video we could make, feel free to post about it and we'll see what we can do.

How about a day in the life of a MacRumor's member, a mash up of a number of people's efforts?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Wow i'm amazed at how many others would be interested in working on something together. I think we could produce something really original, it's a great concept, kinda like that game where you draw a face on some paper, then turn it over, someone else draws the neck and shoulders, then the legs etc...

What about a series of short narratives that are linked by one single object that would appear in each of our own videos. For example, something like a camera, or something as trivial as a matchstick. If we all had one similarity it would bind them all together.

Maybe i'm not explaining myself.

Rich.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.