PDA

View Full Version : iPod is showing as a volume

yankeefan24
Mar 23, 2006, 08:56 AM
Hi all,

I have an old 20 GB iPod that i now use primarily for transferring files and backing up my current music library in disk mode. Some time back, my ipod turned into a volume instead of the ipod disk (see attachment 1). After i transfered a video project (aprx. 10 GB) onto my G5 and then deleted, i noticed that i didn't get the disk space back. So now, i transfered my desktop file, widgets folder and document file onto my TiBook, and now I only have 1.92 GB available. The combined space is not 20 GB and actually not over 10 (see attachment 2).

So, my question is, why am i only loosing space? I delete the files when I am done with them, but i don't get space back. I also included another attachment of what it is saying in System Profiler.

Please help!

-yankeefan

EDIT: Attachment 1 is the attached image. Attachment 2 is to the left and attachment 3 is to the right.

Chundles
Mar 23, 2006, 09:04 AM
Have you emptied the trash? On my external USb thumb drive if I delete stuff from the drive I have to empty the trash before I get the space back.

mad jew
Mar 23, 2006, 09:07 AM
Assuming it's not the Trash issue, the quickest thing to do might be to just reinstall the latest firmware (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/). :)

yankeefan24
Mar 23, 2006, 09:08 AM
Have you emptied the trash? On my external USb thumb drive if I delete stuff from the drive I have to empty the trash before I get the space back.

this is running with two computers and showing the same space on each but i will try emptying the trash on my main computer.

I'll let you know if it works.

Assuming it's not the Trash issue, the quickest thing to do might be to just reinstall the latest firmware (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/). :)

I did install the latest update after i noticed the space didn't come back after my video project.

yankeefan24
Mar 23, 2006, 09:26 AM
Emptying the trash did free up about 6 GB. It still appears that the video project is still on it.

used space is what my video project was + 1.5 GB.

mad jew
Mar 23, 2006, 09:28 AM
I did install the latest update after i noticed the space didn't come back after my video project.

A restore or an update?

As a side note, if you drag something to the Trash from an iPod that's attached to a Mac, you'll have to empty that trash to regain that space. Otherwise, it'll keep the Trash contents on the iPod. If you do the same on a PC, the items are removed from the iPod instantly (well, as instant as XP can be). :)

yankeefan24
Mar 23, 2006, 09:55 AM
A restore or an update?

As a side note, if you drag something to the Trash from an iPod that's attached to a Mac, you'll have to empty that trash to regain that space. Otherwise, it'll keep the Trash contents on the iPod. If you do the same on a PC, the items are removed from the iPod instantly (well, as instant as XP can be). :)

an update.

Counterfit
Mar 23, 2006, 11:35 AM
You might want to take a look in the various folders of the iPod with the Terminal. Use ls -a /Volumes/my\ ipod (you can just copy/paste the blue stuff) and look for any folders with a . in front of the name, as they won't show up in Finder. See if any filenames inside the hidden folders match anything you deleted. Then use rm to delete it.

Or you can just reformat the drive. :rolleyes:

yankeefan24
Mar 23, 2006, 11:36 AM
You might want to take a look in the various folders of the iPod with the Terminal. Use ls -a /Volumes/my\ ipod (you can just copy/paste the blue stuff) and look for any folders with a . in front of the name, as they won't show up in Finder. See if any filenames inside the hidden folders match anything you deleted. Then use rm to delete it.

Or you can just reformat the drive. :rolleyes:

or i can use onyx to show hidden files and find themů

mad jew
Mar 23, 2006, 05:09 PM
Whichever method you use, just make sure there's nothing on there that's not backed up. :)

Counterfit
Mar 24, 2006, 12:18 AM
or i can use onyx to show hidden files and find themů
Yeah. I prefer my method. It's faster, and I don't like the way all the folders look when that option is enabled.