Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
That's really cool, and really creepy at the same time. I think it's pretty obvious that the "eyes" and anything else that moves is added. Not because you can tell from their appearance, but because not many plants have actual eyes.
For more CG goodness, clicky

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Counterfit said:
I think it's pretty obvious that the "eyes" and anything else that moves is added. Not because you can tell from their appearance, but because not many plants have actual eyes.

Haha. I love it.

That was really amazing though... ubelievable combination of unsteady and zooming video with CG. I'm very impressed.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
That's pretty sweet!

I love seeing stuff like that. The compositing was 99% perfect!

The only thing that gave it away (aside from the obvious eyes and things) were the shiny textures on some of the things.

I'm assuming this was either done in Maya or XSI.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
wwooden said:
What impressed me the most is the unsteady camera effect, makes it look that much more real.
Is it possible that the camera movement was added after the CGI by zooming in slightly and moving a "window frame" around over the full image? I don't know much about compositing and CGI, but that seems a logical way to add "realistic" camera movement without having to render CGI on a moving image.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
weldon said:
Is it possible that the camera movement was added after the CGI by zooming in slightly and moving a "window frame" around over the full image? I don't know much about compositing and CGI, but that seems a logical way to add "realistic" camera movement without having to render CGI on a moving image.

Yes ... either way it's really impressive. :cool:

peace | neut

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Most overhyped use of CGI ever.

Sure, it's pretty cool...but you're setting people up for disappointment when you bill it as Kewlest CGI EvAr!

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Counterfit said:
Hey, if we can have a 100+ reply thread about Alienware being bought by Dell, I can decry movies based on Final Fantasy all I want. :p

Lets not forget all the "Just Got A Dell (insert random number) 23 inch LCD!!!!" ;)

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
very creepie, but very cool. and dare i say we can see this quality in games soon, i have seen some on this done in realtime before just they can only do a few items in real time. I would love to see who jungles full of creepy or strange vegatation and i mean full in the billions of pixels. that would make some really heavy eye candy games and a use for PPU's quad SLi and Octo Processors.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Orlando Furioso said:
Although I have not seen this version, it has been around for a while.

My first encounter with animusic was via the ati.com, here is a link to the MPG version of animusic (camera angles/framing/cuts differ somewhat). The sound is way better and the cuts are also better IMO.

That's where I first saw it. If you have a relatively new PowerBook you can download a file from ATI that has it render the whole thing in realtime on your Mac. Pretty cool!

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
HiRez said:
Yeah, it's been around for a while. You can also download a version that plays in high-resolution OpenGL in real-time on your Mac (the better your card is, the better it will look). It a very cool concept though and well-executed.

Didn't I just say that in the post above yours?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.