PDA

View Full Version : Changing song order

KD7IWP
Mar 23, 2006, 06:44 PM
I have some songs that I purchased from iTunes, then later the CD's were given to me as gifts. So while importing the CD's I did not have it import the songs I had already purchased. Now in the iTunes library it shows the songs out of order when I have the library sorted by artist. Granted they are all together since they are in the same album, just not in the correct song order. I even did get information on the songs that were purchased and changed the track number to be correct as it is on the CD, but still they are out of order. Any way to change that?

yankeefan24
Mar 23, 2006, 06:47 PM
I think that if you push the sort by track number than sort by artist it will work. not sure about that though. try it and see what happens.

WildCowboy
Mar 23, 2006, 06:50 PM
I would get rid of the purchased versions. You can rip the CD versions at higher quality if you wish and have no DRM restrictions on their usage.

But if you really want to keep the purchased versions, I would think it should display it correctly. Are you sure that the artist and album title are exactly the same between the two (no hidden spaces or typos)? You can check this easily by highlighting the whole group of songs and trying to edit the info. If all of the tracks contain the same data in a field, then they're the same. If the field is blank, then there are differences.

dotdotdot
Mar 23, 2006, 07:13 PM
All the information has to be correct, as well as X of XX for songs and albums.

exeterbohemian
Mar 23, 2006, 07:50 PM
All the information has to be correct, as well as X of XX for songs and albums.

exactly. if every field of information between the cd and the purchased songs isn't identical, they won't display in order. but i also second the motion to just get rid of the purchased ones and rip the entire cd. for higher quality and also consistency's sake.

KD7IWP
Mar 23, 2006, 08:08 PM
I tried what you said about sorting by track, then by artist. No luck. I'm at college and don't have the CD with me right now, so it's no big deal, but I wanted to fix it if I could. I don't mind the DRM since I only use songs on my iPod.
http://static.flickr.com/49/116998740_ac11727404.jpg?v=0

WildCowboy
Mar 23, 2006, 08:09 PM
Well, your top 4 songs (I assume that those are the iTMS ones) are showing as coming from a 16-song album, while the rest of them are from a 12-song album. That's likely your problem.

KD7IWP
Mar 23, 2006, 08:10 PM
ha ha ha, I sure feel dumb now :) thanks

WildCowboy
Mar 23, 2006, 08:12 PM
No problem...we all do things like that from time to time. ;)

KD7IWP
Mar 23, 2006, 08:17 PM
Actually.... that didn't fix the problem. So I copied all the songs out of itunes, then deleted them from itunes, then reimported them. Same Problem. Seems like a little thing, but I'm curious why it won't order them correctly.

WildCowboy
Mar 23, 2006, 08:20 PM
Hmmm...can you highlight all of the tracks from the album, go to the info editing window, and post a screenshot of what you see?

KD7IWP
Mar 23, 2006, 08:25 PM
Ok, it looks like it doesn't think they are on the same CD for some reason. Because it says multiple song. Now this could be just because there are multiple songs, but it could be because they are "from different CD's"

http://static.flickr.com/44/117004524_aa6e5c494f.jpg?v=0

WildCowboy
Mar 23, 2006, 08:31 PM
Okay, the Multiple Song Info thing is fine, because you are editing the information for multiple songs. It doesn't matter whether they're from the same or different albums. The Artist, Album, Total Tracks, and Genre are all showing up as being the same between the iTMS and CD versions. But some of the other fields are coming up as different.

I think you need to make sure that all of the fields are the same. For instance, I know the iTMS tracks come with a Year listing. But all of the tracks you selected do not share the same value in that field, or else it would be showing.

Does that make sense?

Nermal
Mar 23, 2006, 08:32 PM
Tick the little box next to "12" and click OK.

Edit: What version of iTunes are you using?

WildCowboy
Mar 23, 2006, 08:37 PM
Ahh...I'm playing around with it in my iTunes and can't figure out what's causing you problems. I don't have any purchased music on this computer (my main one's in the shop), so I can't replicate your situation exactly, but I'm playing around with individual track info trying to get iTunes to put them out of order, and I can't do it.

It could be that it just refuses to recognize purchased music as part of an album if they're from different sources.

KD7IWP
Mar 23, 2006, 09:04 PM
Nermal, it's 6.0.4. I have already tried ticking the box next to 12. The artwork is the same for all songs also. I agree that it may just be something you are not allowed to change.

Nermal
Mar 23, 2006, 09:12 PM
Hmm, I know older versions of iTunes would sort purchased songs separately from imported ones, but as far as I know the current versions don't do this. Do the track numbers all show "of 12" now?

Edit: And set them all to disc 1 of 1.

exeterbohemian
Mar 23, 2006, 10:42 PM
Nermal, it's 6.0.4. I have already tried ticking the box next to 12. The artwork is the same for all songs also. I agree that it may just be something you are not allowed to change.

when you say the artwork is the same, did both images come from the same source? i.e., you might want to go to the album art pane in the multiple song information thing and reenter the image. in case your cd-ripped tracks aren't using the image that came direclty from the itms.

KD7IWP
Mar 23, 2006, 11:57 PM
That's what it took! I had to say that they were Disc 1 of 1 discs. I had said they were on 1 disc, but I had to tell it they were all the first disc. Oh this makes me happy :D Thanks for all the help everyone, it's much appreciated!

WildCowboy
Mar 24, 2006, 12:45 PM
Wow...I think that's a bit ridiculous. It shouldn't be that non-obvious. If there's only one disc, I always leave that field blank.