PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty nec. on iBook???

Pilgrims Pro
Jan 31, 2003, 01:37 PM
I am going to purchase an IBook today, but I am wondering if the extended service plan is worth the $249 that Apple charges? It seems a little high just to extend the warranty two years, and to add tech support. I am coming over from PCs, with PCs you always need tech support, is that the case with MACs? Thanks for your help!

Bear
Jan 31, 2003, 02:36 PM
Is the tech support needed? That is a personal knowledge level thing.

Is the extended warrenty needed? That is a different story. Some people have had no problems in 3 years and others have had a few repairs done.

I have shelled out the extra money for Apple Care on all my Macs for the warrenty.

GeeYouEye
Jan 31, 2003, 02:42 PM
As a rule of thumb, I get the Applecare on laptops, but not on desktops, unless they have problems within the first year. Just makes good sense, given how much the screen costs to replace.

Pilgrims Pro
Jan 31, 2003, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the advice, I just don't see the added expense. I mean $249, is basically 20% of the original cost. I have a good friend who can help me with any "tech" support, and I guess I will just have to take my chances on the rest. I take very good care of my laptops, so I shouldnt have a problem, unless its defective and that should surface in the first year of owership. Thanks!

Pilgrims Pro
Jan 31, 2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
As a rule of thumb, I get the Applecare on laptops, but not on desktops, unless they have problems within the first year. Just makes good sense, given how much the screen costs to replace.

Is the applecare, something that can be added down the road?

edesignuk
Jan 31, 2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Pilgrims Pro

Is the applecare, something that can be added down the road?
Yes. You can choose to buy Applecare anytime within the first year, so you don't have to pay out for your iBook and AppleCare at once.
On another note, I'd hold off on buying the iBook for a week or two, new models are supposed to be just around the corner.