Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desciple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2005
Oakland,CA
Specs: G4 (450AGP), 10.3
Hey all!
Just wondering if anyone has heard of this problem and knows the solution.
ISSUE: I have recently replaced the ZIP drive with an internal hard drive (let's call it HD#3) installed in it's slot. Everything was working fine and dandy. But when I replaced the DVD, just above it, with a DVD writer, the hard drive (HD#3) does not show up. They are both sharing the same ribbon coming from the motherboard(ATA?) . The funny thing is, by process of elimination, HD3 and the DVD writer will show up when connected separately, but together, nothing.
Any suggestions? Does this have to do with the static/chasis issues?
Any info would help.
Thanks!
~JL~

XNine

macrumors 68040
desciple said:
Specs: G4 (450AGP), 10.3
Hey all!
Just wondering if anyone has heard of this problem and knows the solution.
ISSUE: I have recently replaced the ZIP drive with an internal hard drive (let's call it HD#3) installed in it's slot. Everything was working fine and dandy. But when I replaced the DVD, just above it, with a DVD writer, the hard drive (HD#3) does not show up. They are both sharing the same ribbon coming from the motherboard(ATA?) . The funny thing is, by process of elimination, HD3 and the DVD writer will show up when connected separately, but together, nothing.
Any suggestions? Does this have to do with the static/chasis issues?
Any info would help.
Thanks!
~JL~

This does seem odd, but I had a problem with internal HD's on a 933 MHz Quicksilver recently. What fixed it? Switching the the power plugs on each other.

Try that, it may work. I don't know why, but it worked for me. Though it wasn't with the same hardware you're using, the same happened (one would show up, the other wouldn't.)

May even try switching the ribbons as well if just the power plugs don't work. If you're limited by the length of the cables, you could possibly try switching the bays that both are in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.