Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Anyone have any recommendations for taking pictures at a live show? (Settings, etc)

It's a circa survive/saves the day show if you're wondering. =)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Don't bother with a flash...it'll just waste your battery.

I imagine it'll be dark, so...
Try fiddling with the settings so you can get the maximum exposure without it getting blurry. If you have a manual mode, open up the aperture all the way, put the ISO as high as it'll go without grain-ing out, and then try a few different shutter speeds to see where you can get bright enough shots that don't streak with camera motion.

Concerts are a real pain to shoot, in my experience.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
enckwanzer said:
Two questions:

1. What kind of camera?

2. Is it general admission or will you have assigned seats?

General Admission, and a 5 MP Kodak EasyShare cx7525. Nothing special, but it takes acceptable pictures.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
jelloshotsrule said:
i filmed a saves the day show back when they were good. it was cool

That's the key unfortunately :|. I'm really just going for circa survive.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
OutThere said:
Don't bother with a flash...it'll just waste your battery.

I imagine it'll be dark, so...
Try fiddling with the settings so you can get the maximum exposure without it getting blurry. If you have a manual mode, open up the aperture all the way, put the ISO as high as it'll go without grain-ing out, and then try a few different shutter speeds to see where you can get bright enough shots that don't streak with camera motion.

Concerts are a real pain to shoot, in my experience.

Actually, I'd recommend just cranking up the ISO as high as possible regardless of whether the photos end up pixellated. Getting a clean shot is more important than graininess or anything else. I'd rather have noise than blur.

And you're right, concerts are the worst to shoot. I wouldn't bring my dSLR to one, either, which then makes it even more difficult.

enckwanzer

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2005
Charleston, IL, USA
since its general admission, get there early and get as close to the stage as possible. the closer you are, the easier it's going to be to get a clear/clean shot. regarding the flash, try it both ways -- it might work if you're close enough. definitely kick the ISO up if you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.