Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
I was reading another thread about how some people think that iPods are getting too big in terms of memory size. That led me to think (which may not be such a good idea) that perhaps there's still room to grow and rethink the way we do business.

My train of thought (scary as it is)
Some people seem to think that having more memory on an iPod is pointless. But I'm thinking: "The more memory the better!" After all, why shouldn't we have bigger and better hard drives? For one, our culture is going so multimedia with our computers, we really will need more memory than ever in the future. Why? Well, let's see... hmmm... functionality is one. Even if iPod is only for music, it is still the cornerstone of a new trend of appliance/tool for everyday lifestyle use. So, from an innovation standpoint, bigger drives will probably mean better in the long run.

How about an 'iCard' to enhance your business presence?
For example: Instead of buying a Sony portable DVD player, what if you could simply suck the DVD onto a hard-drive, carry around all your movies independent of your laptop? Maybe they're not store-bought movies but, say, they were movies by your family, about your family, or even a presentation in Keynote that you would like to take to a business meeting... for filmmakers, a demo reel that showcases your skills. Think of it as an iCARD. A portable business card presentation. And it's all on a hard drive. Maybe you'll still carry around those very strange shaped mini-CDs with your multimedia content. But if you meet someone, instead of going through the same old pitch speech about who you are... yack yack yack, you can pull out the iCard, let them watch your presentation. 'Whoa,' they might say. 'That's pretty cool.' Or, (worst case scenario), 'We'll do lunch...' ;)

Good-bye, banal speeches and presentations. Hello, iCard! "Business cards for the rest of us."

You see, having bigger drives would really help in that fashion, wouldn't it? So, even if iPods are growing in size, (and I do believe there's a lot of people out there with at least 8000 songs) I think bigger is still better.

Anyway, those are my humble opinions. Is there any validity to it? I dunno. But since this is a forum, I would love to hear what other people have to say.

Take care.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.