Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
My iPod is beeping, but I have never set an alarms.
I just plug in my Black 4gb Nano into my computer and it's beeping. I am using the stock USB cable. I searched the forums and found not much about this.

I just decided to reset my iPod, and that stopped the beeping.
It also had a weird screen icon, like the charging icon, lightning bolt+battery symbols, but they were skewed from their normal position.

What does it mean?
Has this happened to anybody else?
Did I miss something in the manual?

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Was it the broken HD icon? I had the beeping and weird icon display on my 1G ipod a few years ago. Turned out the HD went bad. apple replaced it and it still runs to this day.

I occasionally have weirdness with my various ipods that resets or reformats help. Could just be standard operating weirdness, or you might want to verify the drive/flash with diskwarrior or disk utility?

Eniregnat said:
My iPod is beeping, but I have never set an alarms.
I just plug in my Black 4gb Nano into my computer and it's beeping. I am using the stock USB cable. I searched the forums and found not much about this.

I just decided to reset my iPod, and that stopped the beeping.
It also had a weird screen icon, like the charging icon, lightning bolt+battery symbols, but they were skewed from their normal position.

What does it mean?
Has this happened to anybody else?
Did I miss something in the manual?

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
i have had my iPod beep and there was something fatally wrong with it. The battery didn't last and would shut off with the batter meter halfway full. When i tried to turn it back on, it beeped. That's all i can say, but if anything seems wrong take it to an Apple store. I got a free replacement :)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Thanks.

The icon was the charging lightning bolt and battery icon, shifted to the far left (the Nano's right). The unit kept beeping until I reset it.

I am past the 90 day warranty on the iPod. I have not found any thread of complaint like mine- ever, so I bet it was a one time glitch.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Did the icon change from color to back and white?...this happen to me and i had to reinstall the firm...

From time to time my nano does this and stays in disk mode....i just leave it alone and it wakes itself up.

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.