PDA

View Full Version : 970 on the laptops--when?

macktheknife
Jan 31, 2003, 04:13 PM
If the rumors concerning the release of the 970 on Apple's desktop by the fall are correct, how low will it take before they make their way to the laptops? Will Apple release a desktop version of the 970 and a laptop version simultaneously? Or will Apple introduce a new version of its laptop lineup during MWSF 2004?

Here's my thought: The release of the 12-inch and 17-inch PowerBooks probably means that Apple won't just jettison the G4 PowerBook lineup within 9 months. I can't imagine that Apple would put a new 970 processor in the PowerBooks but stick with the same form and design. However, Steve did call this "The Year of the Laptop", so what other surprises are lurking out there? :confused:

Sun Baked
Jan 31, 2003, 04:24 PM
The 970 is still a BIG chip, even though it's a single core version of the Power Family.

At 42W for a .13 process chip @ 1.8 GHz, don't expect a laptop version until it makes it through a die shrink or two.

Expect the 7457 to become the laptop and consumer chip of choice.

pyrotoaster
Jan 31, 2003, 04:33 PM
I think the only other 970 machine released with new Powermacs would be something like a single-processor 970 Cube to fill the gap between the Powermac and the G4 iMac.
It could be a while before we see the 970 in Powerbooks, but Apple's portables are already great, so I wouldn't worry about them. :)

macktheknife
Jan 31, 2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
The 970 is still a BIG chip, even though it's a single core version of the Power Family.

At 42W for a .13 process chip @ 1.8 GHz, don't expect a laptop version until it makes it through a die shrink or two.

Expect the 7457 to become the laptop and consumer chip of choice.

What's the 7457? I've never heard of it. Can you tell us more about it?

Basically, I'm trying to assess whether I should upgrade from my 550 Mhz Rev. B TiBook to a 1 Ghz 15 inch TiBook (the 17 inch is way too big and the 12 is too small). If the 970 (or whatever the next series of chip that will make its way to the laptops) won't come out for more than a year, then I reason I might as well upgrade to a 1 Ghz soon (when the new 15 inch TiBooks are released) and wait another year or so to upgrade again.

pyrotoaster
Jan 31, 2003, 04:46 PM
The 7457 is just another name for the newest revision of the G4.

Sun Baked
Jan 31, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by macktheknife
What's the 7457? I've never heard of it. Can you tell us more about it?It's just the next generation of G4 chip, this time running the HiP7 process (0.13Ám process) instead of the current 7455s HiP6 (0.18Ám process).

Meaning it should run faster, and generate less heat while consuming fewer watts. And because more of them can be stuffed onto the same wafer, it should cost a bit less.

alex_ant
Jan 31, 2003, 05:37 PM
I was under the understanding that the 970 was a pretty small chip compared to the Pentium 4. It will draw 42 watts at 1.8GHz according to IBM, which is really not bad at all for what kind of chip it is, but there's no reason it has to be clocked that high in a laptop. It is a possibility that it will appear in the PowerBooks by this time next year. My uninformed opinion would say 50% chance. :)

Kid Red
Jan 31, 2003, 06:06 PM
I think we should verify it on the desktops first.

Catfish_Man
Jan 31, 2003, 07:07 PM
970 draws 19 watts at 1.2GHz. A .09 micron die shrink would be an awesome laptop chip.

j763
Jan 31, 2003, 07:20 PM
The IBM Tech Docs at this time specify that the 970 for Desktops will be in volume production about 2-3 months before it hits laptops.

If you're currently waiting on the 970 (or as some are calling it, the "G5") to buy a PowerMac or PowerBook -- don't. Never buy first generation equipment -- you always regret it.

The G4 launch went pretty damn well... but that's no reason to assume the 970 will have such a great introduction.

ELYXR
Jan 31, 2003, 07:29 PM
Actually, I remember the first gen PowerMac G4's having to be "re-clocked" 50Mhz lower due to some sort of fab problem. My buddy has a 350Mhz G4 PM.

Anyone else remember that? :rolleyes:

macktheknife
Jan 31, 2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by j763
If you're currently waiting on the 970 (or as some are calling it, the "G5") to buy a PowerMac or PowerBook -- don't. Never buy first generation equipment -- you always regret it.

I have that concern too--I remember reading about the complaints about the Rev. A TiBooks. Anyhow, I think the best thing for me to do is to wait until the new 15 inch TiBooks are updated. I guess it will probably take some time for the new processors to make their way to the portables, so maybe getting a new TiBook in a few months and waiting for a year or so for the second version of the new laptops isn't such a bad idea.