PDA

View Full Version : iBook/Speaker query

steverocks86
Mar 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
Hi

I'm running an iBook G4, 933mhz with a Texas Instruments TAS3004 sound card at 44.1 khz, usual drill...

Anyway, I've recently inherited a four-speaker sound system from our old home PC. It's a Cambridge SoundWorks setup with four peripheral speakers and a woofer. It has two input jacks which usually plug into the home PC's two output (3.5mm) stereo jacks. However, since the iBook has only ONE output audio jack, then I've had to get a 2 to 1 jack converter thingy, so that I can plug both these jacks from the speakers into the iBook.

With me so far? Well basically, I was wondering a) if this means I only have 2-channel now, even though I have four speakers (i.e. is front left and rear left the same sounds?). And b) is there any software/plugin so that I can create four-channel sound out of the situation.

I did just set them up around me, turned up the volume, and watched the Pod Race from Star Wars Episode I and it was SWEEEEET :)

Any help is much appreciated,
Steve x

mfacey
Mar 25, 2006, 09:00 AM
The 2-> 1 converter plug will simply split the single stereo audio output of your ibook into 2 seperate audio outputs. So you're not gettin surround or anything. Just stereo.

I believe there are some external sound cards out there that support 5.1 and such but I'm sure somebody else here knows more about that than I do.