Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
Guys, I just did something very stupid... I was carrying my PowerBook under my left are (I'm not used to carrying it there because I usually carry it under my right arm). So anyway I forgot it was there and walked by the counter and WHAM my poor PowerBook SMACKS into the corner of the counter and she's now got a small dent in the top case :(

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Yeah i did something like this, theres a dent near the DVD slot looks awful, but i managed to hammer it back into place and touch it with some Silver stuff and looks as good as new :D

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
mad jew said:
Still functioning properly though?
Yes all is fine in that sense.

lilstewart92 said:
Pictures?

I MUST see pictures.
There's not much to photograph... you can't see it too much, but you sure as hell can feel it. I would have to mess with lighting to get a good pic so I'm not going to bother.

lilstewart92 said:
Which PB? Ti or 17"?
The 12" actually... the 17" has a scuff on the bottom but I can proudly say that my TiBook is in perfect condition :)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I've run my PB into a couple of doorframes, but usually I realize what I'm doing at the last millisecond and minimize the impact as much as possible. :D

The only mark mine has is actually from when I took my winter jacket off and tossed it on my bed...where my 'book happened to be. I didn't expect anything to come of it, but of course the zipper pull smacked down right on the lid and made a little shiny spot.

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
Well if it TRULY bothers you, you could always buy a new top case from a parts site or ebay n' replace it yourself...

I replaced both my battle-scarred top AND bottom case on my 12" PowerBook last month. I got a killer price on eBay, and BOTH cases were immaculate! The 12" PowerBook is probably the most difficult current mac portable to disassemble, when compared to the 15/17" PowerBooks (and iBooks). So if you decide this route..

I hope you have a 15" or 17". ;)

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
I dropped my powerbook (actually, it slipped of a precarious spot that I shouldn't have left it) from about 5 Ft. It was on, lid open, and working. It slammed into a chair, then into my leg (payback), then to the ground (carpet). Bottom right corner of the lid is bent just a hair, but unless I pointed it out, you'd never know. I picked it up, and the system was happy, and never skipped a beat.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I feel for you.

My husband was using his 12" PB on our coffee table. It slipped off (can´t remember how) and did a SLOW fall to the fairly thick rug only a short distance away (low coffee table). The fall was also partially broken by the PB hitting his leg. The PB now won´t lie flat anymore, and the CD-loading slot looks awful. But the PB works fine.

I´ve dropped my 17" PB in it´s Booq bag twice, by tripping on uneven sidewalks (yes, I´m a clutz :( ). Neither time did the PB sustain any damage - probably due to a combination of the falls only being a short distance, and the Booq bag being fairly well-padded. But now I use a Samsonite messenger laptop bag - that way I can keep the PB above ground when I fall (and I WILL fall again, I just know it :eek: ).

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I'm glad to hear the PB is still working perfectly fine.

But think of it like a scratch on your guitar. It adds personality, and over time, you'll realize that the ruggedness of the PowerBook is something to be commended.

Bandito

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Drove my car over my old 17" 1GHz PowerBook. Was I pi**ed off?! Amazingly enough, although the screen is completely toast it works fine. Now used as a dumb server on my home network.

Waiting for my new 2.16 MacBook Pro. Ordered on 3 Feb, and its now in the TNT depot here in Dublin!

eevor

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2005
Ruggedness

It's like the time in the evening when you start to pull out all your scars and tell the stories behind them...
About a month after I bought my 17' Powerbook, I dropped my massive 1st Gen 3G phone from about an inch on the top case. There is now a nice little bump on the case if you cast some light over the top. Great.

But I've got a good one that makes that look like nothing: I was reaching above my computer to get some DVDs and I forgot about the alan keys that were on top the DVD box...and WHAM! Of course, of all the places to land on my desk...it hits the Powerbook, from a height of about 5 feet....now there are 3 good looking sharp dents in the top case. Still works a treat and the screen is absolutely fine.

There is 30 seconds of blind panic of the thought of the cost for such damage, but hold on a minute...this is an Apple laptop here...sure the screens are usually rubbish...but man do they build them good.

Bandito

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Josias said:
How can you run a 17" PB over with a car? You accidentally dropped it on the road, forgot it was there, and excactly hit the PB with car? My imagination does not go further. Please explain...:p

Put my briefcase against the rear wheel as I was putting my very irate 18-month-old daughter into the car. Forgot it was there, reversed, it fell under the car and the front wheel went over it.......

To make it worse (or perhaps better) there was a 15" Toshiba Tecra in the case as well! That was totally screwed.

Still, the insurance paid up and I bought the 1.67 15" PB I'm using now - at least until tomorrow when my new MBP should finally arrive!

Clear now?!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Bandito said:
Put my briefcase against the rear wheel as I was putting my very irate 18-month-old daughter into the car. Forgot it was there, reversed, it fell under the car and the front wheel went over it.......

To make it worse (or perhaps better) there was a 15" Toshiba Tecra in the case as well! That was totally screwed.

Still, the insurance paid up and I bought the 1.67 15" PB I'm using now - at least until tomorrow when my new MBP should finally arrive!

Clear now?!

Well at least you were able to move away from the dark side in the process!!

Its such a sucker when you accidentally damage things like this. I once lent my 30" lcd tv to my neighbour for him to use in a business presentation. While I was carrying it up I managed to hit the wall with it and its now got a little dent in the side. Irritates the hell out of me. I keep meaning to knock it back into place but I'm worried I'll make it worse.

Bandito

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Spanky Deluxe said:
Well at least you were able to move away from the dark side in the process!!

Been a Mac fan since my first 512K machine back when Steve J was still hungry!

Wish I could have stayed with them, but they lost their way in the 90's, and only really came back with OSX.

Still, have always had a Mac in the house, just not always for work....

colinp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2004
My first scoffs on my Powerbook were from my cat! He had an unhealthy obsession with sitting on the thing when it was closed up on the coffee table... Doesn't really amount to much, thankfully, but I always found it kinda funny.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
colinp said:
My first scoffs on my Powerbook were from my cat! He had an unhealthy obsession with sitting on the thing when it was closed up on the coffee table... Doesn't really amount to much, thankfully, but I always found it kinda funny.

LOL!! It was probably because it was warm. It seems cats have a strange fascination with Apple laptops. What with this and the peeing on a macbook incident!!

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
Wow, havent heard a runover story in a while with a powerbook. THat definaltly does suck. Thank God for insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.