Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grrr223

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2002
Philadelphia
Apple is doing an excellent job of outdoing the competition in this fierce market during a slow time in the economy. However, at the same time, I have been noticing a few key features disappearing from their products.

1) DVD Drives in iMacs - While this is kinda irrelavent now that the new iMacs are out, didn't the second round of iMacs have DVD-rom drives in them? but the models before the latest iMacs got rid of them in exchange for a cd-burner. Why is this? It doesn't seem to make any sense to me?

2) Audio inputs in G4s - Correct me if I'm wrong, but do the new G4s even have audio inputs anymore? What good is speakable items if you can't even plug a microphone into the computer?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Missing Features?

Originally posted by grrr223
2) Audio inputs in G4s - Correct me if I'm wrong, but do the new G4s even have audio inputs anymore? What good is speakable items if you can't even plug a microphone into the computer?

THANK YOU, someone else out there noticed this. AND, why the heck is it so hard to get an "ice" PlainTalk mic? The last time those were shipped was with the B/W G3's, and now they're by special order only. Not to mention that now that the CRT line has been phased out there's no more place to rest the PlainTalk mic! It was made specifically for sitting on the top of your CRT. So has Apple completely abandoned this?

It truly is pointless to have Speakable Items as a feature if you have to go buy another company's hardware for it. We're not talking about digital cameras, here. We're talking about system-level voice activation. It should be standard. There should be mics built right into the flat-panel displays.

[/rant]

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
1) thats simple. Few people used the DVD rom. everyone wanted the CD-Rw. They didn't have or couldn't justify the expensive for a slot loading combo drive on those machines. Like you said, its irrelevent now.

2) I'm not sure abuot the G4's audio input, but I believe they went to USb audio input only acorss their product line. USB mics aren't that hard to come by.

osxuser

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2002
Query regading jvm for osx

This might seem kind of stupid, I am a new mac user got rid of the wintel stuff I had. How can I chat on yahoo the message that I get is of no jvm plugins available and also there is no voice chat on msn messenger and yahoo messenger. I only use OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.