PDA

View Full Version : Tiger or Panther on older iBook?

Maxwell Smart
Mar 26, 2006, 12:42 PM
I have the current iBook in my sig (366Mhz G3, 576MB RAM, 6GB HD) that's been happily running along with Panther 10.3.9 (albeit a bit sluggishly). What I was wondering was if I should upgrade to Tiger. I've heard that it has a lot of refinements when it comes to older hardware running more smoothly, so I figured that I'd ask here and see what people reccommend. Thanks.

Caitlyn
Mar 26, 2006, 02:14 PM
Just checked on Apple's site and found this:
Hardware Requirements
PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor
Built-in FireWire
DVD drive is required for installation
At least 256MB of physical RAM

So, technically, it would work (if you have a DVD drive) but if you find Panther running a little slow, Tiger will probably be even slower. I say, if you're happy with Panther then stick with Panther. 10.3.9 isn't much less advanced than 10.4.0. I mean yes there are some refinements, but I still know many users running Panther and don't really suffer the would-be loss of the Tiger features.

SC68Cal
Mar 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
I can only go by what happened to my main system, but the difference between Jaguar and Tiger is night and day. It went from a very slow machine, using a clean install of 10.2.0, updated to 10.2.8 which increased the system performance by a significant margin. Tiger blows Jaguar out of the water, when I installed Tiger I was overly impressed with how it performed.

based on my experience I don't think you have anything to lose, really

mmmcheese
Mar 26, 2006, 02:32 PM
I would stick with 10.3...I've been tempted to put my iBook 800MHz back to 10.3 from 10.4 because I found that, in general, it performed faster.

If you don't need any of the features of 10.4, then I see no reason to switch.

Maxwell Smart
Mar 26, 2006, 02:40 PM
Well, I'd disable dashboard to save resources as i prolyl wouldnt use it but I think spotlight would be really cool to have. So does anyone else find tiger to be a speed improvement over panther or what.

QCassidy352
Mar 26, 2006, 02:58 PM
I think they are about the same, speed-wise. Definitely disable dashboard though, as it'll eat through your RAM in no time.

California
Mar 26, 2006, 03:02 PM
I am not sure your tiny hard drive will be large enough for a Tiger install

Get a new hard drive anyway, you can always take it out and put it in another laptop when the time comes.

IT will also make your machine faster.

SmurfBoxMasta
Mar 26, 2006, 03:09 PM
I am not sure your tiny hard drive will be large enough for a Tiger install

If you UNCHECK all the un-needed printer drivers AND language files, you can get a Tiger install @ approx. 2GB, plus a gig or 2 for swap files, that still leaves ~1.5gb for other stuff.

Tight yes, but not impossible :)

ITASOR
Mar 26, 2006, 03:09 PM
I am not sure your tiny hard drive will be large enough for a Tiger install.

I put Tiger on my 300Mhz clamshell with a 3GB HD and had about 800MB left over. Not really "enough" but, it's fine for occasional use.

And, I think the speed difference is minimal, but IMO, Tiger seemed a little faster. I didn't disable dashboard, but I just only kept 1 or 2 widgets open at a time.

jadekitty24
Mar 26, 2006, 03:18 PM
Depending on the type of install the OP could most certainly fit Tiger...and that's it. I think 4 GB's is what is recommended as a minimum to keep free on your hard drive for virtual memory. I can only compare it to the 800 mhz G3 iBook I have, at first I thought Panther was faster, but after having Tiger for a while I found it to be a huge improvement overall.

Maxwell Smart
Mar 26, 2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the tips, HD space isn't really important, as I will disable printer drivers/languages etc. Im more concerned about whether its worth the speed increase if there is one, and from what you guys have said, it seems like there is.