PDA

View Full Version : How would a G4 mini work as a media center?

Ryan T.
Mar 26, 2006, 01:47 PM
how would I go about hooking this up/using it?

mjstew33
Mar 26, 2006, 01:49 PM
You HAVE to give us more information.

Panther? Tiger? How much RAM? Speed?

Ryan T.
Mar 26, 2006, 02:11 PM
You HAVE to give us more information.

Panther? Tiger? How much RAM? Speed?
I'm sure it'd be fine hardware wise, I meant logistically.

But for the sake of argument: 1.25GHz G4, APX, BT, 512MB, Tiger

MacHarne
Mar 26, 2006, 03:09 PM
A G4 Mac mini would do well as a media center machine, but an Intel Mac mini would be the far better investment. Remember, the Intel models have native Front Row support which is pivotal in viewing many types of media. Were you to do this with a G4 and still want the Front Row features, you'd have to acquire the Front Row app and then get yourself an IR receiver (Keyspan Express works well) and also a Front Row remote (available for purchase from Apple).

Unless you're able to get a G4 mini for incredibly cheap, I would say shoot for Intel. But otherwise, here are a few steps.

I just mentioned how to do the Front Row stuff, but apart from that you'll likely need some video adapters. An S-video out adapter is available from Apple, although your television might support DVI. (Or, even still, you may prefer to use a large LCD monitor, which would be my choice anyways).

If you didn't decide in favor of the Front Row/remote setup, you're somewhat stuck with having a mouse and keyboard around your place of lounging which can look tacky.

Really, though, once you get it hooked up to the television/monitor, the rest is up to you. And by "the rest" I mean content. If you want to bring in cable or satellite television into the mini, then you'll want to consider EyeTv2 (http://www.elgato.com). I haven't personally tried other methods or products for that object of playing/recording shows, but others can comment with their experience. I never watch television, apart from those episodes iTMS has for free, so I haven't been urgently trying out products like EyeTv.

I'm not sure what other information you're looking for since you were considerably brief in your question. But, the only leap I see is the connection from the mini to the television/monitor which is commonly solved by purchasing some adapter.

Again, I would recommend an Intel Mac mini for this job. Good luck.

Ryan T.
Mar 26, 2006, 04:32 PM
A G4 Mac mini would do well as a media center machine, but an Intel Mac mini would be the far better investment. Remember, the Intel models have native Front Row support which is pivotal in viewing many types of media. Were you to do this with a G4 and still want the Front Row features, you'd have to acquire the Front Row app and then get yourself an IR receiver (Keyspan Express works well) and also a Front Row remote (available for purchase from Apple).

Unless you're able to get a G4 mini for incredibly cheap, I would say shoot for Intel. But otherwise, here are a few steps.

I just mentioned how to do the Front Row stuff, but apart from that you'll likely need some video adapters. An S-video out adapter is available from Apple, although your television might support DVI. (Or, even still, you may prefer to use a large LCD monitor, which would be my choice anyways).

If you didn't decide in favor of the Front Row/remote setup, you're somewhat stuck with having a mouse and keyboard around your place of lounging which can look tacky.

Really, though, once you get it hooked up to the television/monitor, the rest is up to you. And by "the rest" I mean content. If you want to bring in cable or satellite television into the mini, then you'll want to consider EyeTv2 (http://www.elgato.com). I haven't personally tried other methods or products for that object of playing/recording shows, but others can comment with their experience. I never watch television, apart from those episodes iTMS has for free, so I haven't been urgently trying out products like EyeTv.

I'm not sure what other information you're looking for since you were considerably brief in your question. But, the only leap I see is the connection from the mini to the television/monitor which is commonly solved by purchasing some adapter.

Again, I would recommend an Intel Mac mini for this job. Good luck.Thanks for the advice, I am getting a nice deal on the mini I think. We'll see.