PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360...just another reason to hate MS.

toomuchstereo
Mar 26, 2006, 02:53 PM
I have had a 360 since launch day. I am now on my 5th 360 since MS keeps sending me bum ones. I am really tired of the service, and quality control of Microsoft.

This isn't just limited to the system, patches are now standard for console games. Personally that is a bit upsetting. Console games used have bugs squashed before being released. Now it is common practice to just release a buggy mess, and then patch it when you get a chance.

Sorry for the rant folks, I had to do it somewhere with a intelligent community, certainly not the xbox.com forums.

nightdweller25
Mar 26, 2006, 03:06 PM
My room is completely Microsoft free:D I have everything (DS, PSP, Gamecube, PS2, and will buy the new DS, PS3, and Revolution) except any XBOX.

Dagless
Mar 26, 2006, 03:10 PM
The way I see it. Games are getting more complex, coding for a plethora of CPU's, custom graphics cards for all machines. things are bound to go wrong (namely for multi console games). Back in the old days it was a lot easier, a lot less coding to go wrong. I suppose these fixes are the future for bad/lazy developers or games that start to cost too much.

As for the Xbox itself. I dunno. I had a good run with my original Xbox. Never had any major problems. except that it can not read any audio CD, official or not. But it's hardly major to me.

that said. my Xbox is the last Microsoft device in my bedroom. I's also need to remove the Windows XP stickers from various boxes too.

XNine
Mar 26, 2006, 03:25 PM
Maybe God just hates you? I'm on my 2nd unit and it works fine.

GFLPraxis
Mar 26, 2006, 03:42 PM
I find it kinda sad console games have patches now. I always patched my PC games, but my console games were simpler and I didn't have to worry about compatability and patches...

takao
Mar 26, 2006, 04:25 PM
i think the problems with the 360 are troubling but i think over the next months they will go away ... i guess they were surprised by the revision A problems as well ;)

for the patches: i think with the introduction of HD in consoles it was just a matter of time...

DrNeroCF
Mar 26, 2006, 04:30 PM
well... my gamecube has acted up maybe twice... the dreamcast rarely...

Hell the only system I've owned that has actual problems is the nes...

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 26, 2006, 05:24 PM
MIcrosoft is a good mouse maker.:D I mean that.

Dagless
Mar 26, 2006, 05:38 PM

Agrees.

eevor
Mar 26, 2006, 05:42 PM
The problem arises from Microsoft making the developers rush their games for the stupid marketing scam of an early release. The more complex the game, the more time needed for development. Its that simple, if you rush a game...guess what? Its crap. Valve took their time (too long maybe) for Half Life 2, but they knew and acknowledged that time is needed to get things right. Blizzard have always been like that, and their games are always top quality (with the exception of online problems...)

I have an xbox because I wanted games to play without having to buy a high end PC...Macs just cant offer the same range. The next gen im going to buy will be the Revolution. Im getting sick to death of this Graphical arms-race between Sony and Microsoft, and Nintendo are sticking to their guns and doing the proper thing: making *games*

But in answer to your original problem: they are machines built to a marketing timeline, not a manufacturing one. What do you expect when you release a product before it should have come into the public's hands?

illegalprelude
Mar 26, 2006, 05:52 PM
I like the God hates you story better myself

plinkoman
Mar 26, 2006, 06:07 PM
damn, thats some bad luck. i mean, with the way the rushed the 360 out the door, i wouldn't be suprised if you got one or maybe two bum units, but 5!?

if that happened to me, i'd be screaming at microsoft to give me some sort of compensation, in addition to of course, getting a working machine...

illegalprelude
Mar 26, 2006, 06:13 PM
damn, thats some bad luck. i mean, with the way the rushed the 360 out the door, i wouldn't be suprised if you got one or maybe two bum units, but 5!?

if that happened to me, i'd be screaming at microsoft to give me some sort of compensation, in addition to of course, getting a working machine...

personally, I find the number 5 a little hard to believe but what do I know.

bitfactory
Mar 26, 2006, 07:35 PM
I received my 360 on March 2nd from Costco. I knew something was wrong when in the first week while playing Call of Duty - the dvd drive made this horrific whirring sound, followed by some clicks, then you could hear it spin down - the console was locked (screen frozen). I chalked it up to a simple crash - but I noticed that the game had a thick circle rubbed on it. Uh-oh. (and no, I didn't move the console while it was on - who in their right mind would? - it has literally been sitting horizontal, virtually untouched except the eject button, since I unboxed it).

It has since done it with GRAW and Burnout -- so I bit the bullet and called for service this weekend. The woman who took my information was a total jackass. I literally had just completed my sentence and she starts up with, "Microsoft has done testing and the only way the consoles scratch discs is if the console is moved." I told her I didn't move it, and never have, and she says, "Well, Microsoft has done tests..." - I had enough and ripped into her. I'm in my 30's - I own thousands and thousands of dollars worth of electronic equipment - I didn't 'move the console.'

She told me they weren't responsible for the scratched discs, to which I told her I 'figured I was screwed with that.'

She then said they'd either fix the console or send me a new one. "A refurb you mean." "No sir," she said, "we don't have refurbs - they are new consoles that haven't been put into stock."

ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS.

Oh well - I'm not feeling too optimistic that this is going to turn out okay. I've spoken with 2 people from the 800 xbox number and they've both been absolutely rude morons.

I should get the box in the next 4 days, then she said it'd be 8-10 days before I got my console back.

I had zero problems with the regular xbox - I like the theory behind the 360 - but I'm thinking this thing is a dog.

clayj
Mar 26, 2006, 08:48 PM
Two Xbox 360s, ZERO problems.

If you've really gone through 5 of them, I think you have to ask yourself: Is there something about your environment that's causing them to fail? Are you putting the power supply somewhere where it can't get good air circulation? Where exactly are you putting it? On top of a speaker or near some other electronic source?

illegalprelude
Mar 26, 2006, 08:51 PM
Two Xbox 360s, ZERO problems.

If you've really gone through 5 of them, I think you have to ask yourself: Is there something about your environment that's causing them to fail? Are you putting the power supply somewhere where it can't get good air circulation? Where exactly are you putting it? On top of a speaker or near some other electronic source?

or do they feel cooler by bashing MS? thats what I ask myself

BornAgainMac
Mar 26, 2006, 08:59 PM
I think Microsoft should switch back to Intel with the next Xbox.

saunders45
Mar 26, 2006, 09:21 PM
or do they feel cooler by bashing MS? thats what I ask myself
I would agree with that. After all, all the cool kids do it.

TrenchMouth
Mar 26, 2006, 09:31 PM

alright. good talk.

I think the "advantage" that MS thinks they have is going to blow up in their face. The dreamcast had a head start over the PS2 and we all saw how that ended up.

If sony is only exaggerating marginally then the ps3 really is going to have a lot more horse power. and while nintendo may feel that more horse power is not the way to go, people that are choosing between a 360 or a ps3 likely think it is an important factor. to that end i see sony catching up and surpassing MS pretty fast. the big ? is when halo 3 is coming out...that will make a huge difference in sales.

Airforce
Mar 26, 2006, 09:35 PM

Uh, why? :confused:

Abulia
Mar 26, 2006, 09:46 PM
Sorry for the rant folks, I had to do it somewhere with a intelligent community, certainly not the xbox.com forums.Thank you for the laugh. :D

Counterfit
Mar 26, 2006, 10:00 PM
Uh, why? :confused:
That's what I'd like to know. Most of their problems have been caused by a rushed development leading to hardware design faults, which are unrelated to the CPU. I don't think having Intel instead of IBM would have helped bitfactory one bit.

MUCKYFINGERS
Mar 26, 2006, 11:03 PM
i like the xbox and xbox 360... but i'm getting a PS3 :)

DeeJay Dan
Mar 27, 2006, 12:10 AM
I refuse to buy a 360, mainly because I'm not much of a gamer anymore. I will probably by a PS3 only because I'm sure it will be absolutly awesome.

I have an PS2 (big one), Xbox, & Game cube. The xbox had a recall on the power cord, which I was sent a new one. The PS2 won't play a burned audio CD, (me thinks Sony was on their DRM kick back in the day) but any how. The Xbox now is in my sisters room she uses it as a DVD player mainly, I never had any good games for it anyway.

The PS2 is in my room and is used a DVD player and to play GTA.

Gamecube I only bought to play the old sonic games on, so it serves it's purpose there.

Dude, if you've burnt though 5 360's already I'd seriously consider giving up on it. :)

Airforce
Mar 27, 2006, 12:13 AM
I refuse to buy a 360, mainly because I'm not much of a gamer anymore. I will probably by a PS3 only because I'm sure it will be absolutly awesome.

What do you expect it to do that the 360 won't?

DeeJay Dan
Mar 27, 2006, 12:38 AM
Blueray for one.. Other than that I've pretty much vowed not to buy another MS product after they locked me out of XP when installed a new hard drive and tried to install.

nimbus
Mar 27, 2006, 02:24 AM
i like the xbox and xbox 360... but i'm getting a PS3

A smart man.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Symtex
Mar 27, 2006, 04:00 AM
It funny that it is always the same person that have problem. I would suspect something in your environnement that keeps breaking your x360. Mine has zero problem and I got it at launch.

So if you don't mind asking, what type of setup do you have at home ? did you put your x260 is a closed area ? did you put the PSU close to the console or is it outside ?

Piarco
Mar 27, 2006, 04:40 AM
I've had mine since launch ad no problems at all. I realise some do have issues, but they are a very very small minority. But 5 on the run? Two is unlucky, but 5.... beggers belief...

Jovian9
Mar 27, 2006, 05:44 AM
This thread merely reaffirms my position that i will definitely buy a Revolution, most likely buy a PS3, and never buy an Xbox 360. Thanks for reminding me of my stance. 5 units! My goodness. By the 5th conversation I don't think I'd be able to use any other words but foul ones.....especially after the games that had been ruined.

Haoshiro
Mar 27, 2006, 08:05 AM
Things happen I guess, I've never had any bad luck with consoles. My systems have, historically, all been launch day and I've never had to exchange them. There was supposedly big problems with Dreamcast when it came out... I never had a problem. Same with the 360.

As for rushed launch day games, well I'm sure that definitely causes problems but some games are just doomed. :D And, in my experience, every system has rushed games for launch day. I mostly blame the devs/pubs... they want to hit that critical launch day and not wait even if the game needs it.... and it's not always the hardware companies fault (Sony/MS/Nintendo). Team Ninja delayed DoA4 which was going to be a launch title, more companies should do that.

Honestly I don't think choosing Xbox 360 or PS3 should really be a matter of contention. It all comes down to what games you want to play. I know many people that really didn't have things they wanted to play for PS2 but did for Xbox. So I would say "what does it matter which is technically 'better'? Just get the one that has the games you want on it." For some people that's Xbox, for some PS2, for some GameCube. Same with 360/PS3/NRV. :)

kaltsasa
Mar 27, 2006, 08:13 AM
I personally have not had any issues with my 360, no lockups, no scratched disks(it is laying down I didn't want to take any chances). I hate MS as much or more as the next guy but MS Game Unit has always been decent, games like Age of Empires came out of them. My original xBox has never had any problems either. I enjoy consoles because one doesn't have to buy a 3K gaming machine to get a great experience. Plus you get unique ones like on the DS and the Revolution. While I'm sure that there are xBoxen with issues, I have my doubts that the problem is as wide spread as some would like us to think. I personally know 7 people with 360's none have had any issues. While that is not a scientific polling by any means, some would have us think that every 360 owner has had to go through at least 2.

My experience with their service center was pleasant as well. But I did only call for the service contract, because like with my iBook I don't want to be caught with an expensive paperwieght after a year. For some reason by calling I got $20 off the quoted price in the box, so I can't complain there. And its from the original company just like Applecare so I have little reason to believe that they won't provide decent service should it need it.

To recap, I'm not saying their are issues but I see no reason to not get one based on my experience.

lordmac
Mar 27, 2006, 09:24 AM
arr sry double post

lordmac
Mar 27, 2006, 09:25 AM
I dont like the xbox for a fairly simple reason. I just dont want Microsoft to take over my living room. They have already taken over the computer market; yea there is apple but this kind of skewed market share would never work in the console world were successes is primarily based on getting people to develop for your console.

saunders45
Mar 27, 2006, 09:30 AM
I smell BS. I personally know 20 people, all on my friends list, who have 360's, and not one has had a problem. I just think it's funny that "omg teh xbox is teh suxx0orz" but people think that the PS3 is going to be this magical box that can even make you breakfast, and will have zero problems.

Dagless
Mar 27, 2006, 11:36 AM
I don't know whether to believe the OP or not. but a computer shop round my end stocked a few Premium systems. 50% of those had to be replaced. By few I mean about 10! so its not a huge number.

Does remind me of a thread on a angsty-PC user forum. "I've had 15 iPods break! But Apple have always sucked!"... yea.

GFLPraxis
Mar 27, 2006, 12:05 PM

Why? Everyone switched to PowerPC; sounds like IBM's giving the better price/performance ratio.

GFLPraxis
Mar 27, 2006, 12:07 PM
I don't know whether to believe the OP or not. but a computer shop round my end stocked a few Premium systems. 50% of those had to be replaced. By few I mean about 10! so its not a huge number.

Does remind me of a thread on a angsty-PC user forum. "I've had 15 iPods break! But Apple have always sucked!"... yea.

Some people just get unlucky.

I'm on my fifth DS. My first had a dead pixel- they replaced it immediately, but so did the second. I went through three replacements in five minutes at the store (Nintendo replaces it with one dead pixel, so I'd get a replacement, open it, and if there was a dead pixel immediately get it replaced) before I found one that was perfect.

I think it was a bad batch.

A few months later I dropped it around six feet onto hard tile and broke a hinge and I paid a repair fee and Nintendo sent me a new one.

On the other hand, I have never bought a defective console.

Abulia
Mar 27, 2006, 12:41 PM
This thread merely reaffirms my position that i will definitely buy a Revolution, most likely buy a PS3, and never buy an Xbox 360. Thanks for reminding me of my stance.Yea, because one random Internet guy is certainly representative of the over 1.3 million units shipped thus far. :rolleyes:

Add me also to the list of people who considers 5 defective 360s to one user since November as highly suspect.

But hey, it's acceptable to crap on any Microsoft product around here, so no great surprise, I suppose.

2nyRiggz
Mar 27, 2006, 12:49 PM
Just out of luck dude. I had this 360 from launch and its still working in top form....no beef here.....gezz all of my systems run very well without a hiccup(knock on wood)

Bless

Jovian9
Mar 27, 2006, 01:06 PM
Yea, because one random Internet guy is certainly representative of the over 1.3 million units shipped thus far. :rolleyes:

Add me also to the list of people who considers 5 defective 360s to one user since November as highly suspect.

But hey, it's acceptable to crap on any Microsoft product around here, so no great surprise, I suppose.

One random internet guy? There have been others on here that have had the "red light" problem and have had their systems replaced. It is almost April of 2006 and still no availability of these things anywhere near me. I tried like mad to find one for my nephews thru Christmas and they were not available. And I still look for my nephews one when I'm in stores. If you want the same ability of the PS3 (the HD/Blu-Ray play back issue) you're gonna have to buy an add-on for the Xbox 360. Now that feature is cool and all, but not a must-have for me in a video games system...but if you're gonna have it, then include it. Don't make me buy an add-on later on just to get it. Either buy the $400 system or spend $300 + $60 on a memory cards so you can save games. $60 for new games. Nowhere in my previous post did I say that it's the only reason, I merely stated that this merely reaffirmed my the position I had already taken. The more negativity I read about it the more I do not want one. I did not crap on Microsoft at all. As a matter of fact I didn't even mention Microsoft. I'm talking about gaming not companies.
Hey, its jump up and defend Microsoft day here :)

MacsRgr8
Mar 27, 2006, 01:37 PM

That's why I love cats (Cheetahs, Pumas, Jaguars, Tigers and Leopards especially) :D

Ninja_Turtle
Mar 27, 2006, 01:42 PM

i expect it to do my taxes, make me breakfast, and pick up any radio signals of UFOs that are around my area, and vacuum, and then since the sony is so powerful and technologically advanced, sony will radio transmit a signal to all its ps3s and command them to take over household devices and destroy any lesser brand and after that is accomplished, all of the ps3s will rebuddle in a designated safe house and plot world domination.

XNine
Mar 27, 2006, 02:19 PM
i expect it to do my taxes, make me breakfast, and pick up any radio signals of UFOs that are around my area, and vacuum, and then since the sony is so powerful and technologically advanced, sony will radio transmit a signal to all its ps3s and command them to take over household devices and destroy any lesser brand and after that is accomplished, all of the ps3s will rebuddle in a designated safe house and plot world domination.

Now, if the PS3 does this, I'm buying two instead of my planned one. That would be AWESOME!!

The 360's a good console. I'm actually the only person I know (out of 15 who got a 360 on launch day) that had to have the unit replaced. The rest of them? Still chugging along.

AlmightyG5
Mar 27, 2006, 02:45 PM
I received my 360 on March 2nd from Costco. I knew something was wrong when in the first week while playing Call of Duty - the dvd drive made this horrific whirring sound, followed by some clicks, then you could hear it spin down - the console was locked (screen frozen). I chalked it up to a simple crash - but I noticed that the game had a thick circle rubbed on it. Uh-oh. (and no, I didn't move the console while it was on - who in their right mind would? - it has literally been sitting horizontal, virtually untouched except the eject button, since I unboxed it).

It has since done it with GRAW and Burnout -- so I bit the bullet and called for service this weekend. The woman who took my information was a total jackass. I literally had just completed my sentence and she starts up with, "Microsoft has done testing and the only way the consoles scratch discs is if the console is moved." I told her I didn't move it, and never have, and she says, "Well, Microsoft has done tests..." - I had enough and ripped into her. I'm in my 30's - I own thousands and thousands of dollars worth of electronic equipment - I didn't 'move the console.'

She told me they weren't responsible for the scratched discs, to which I told her I 'figured I was screwed with that.'

She then said they'd either fix the console or send me a new one. "A refurb you mean." "No sir," she said, "we don't have refurbs - they are new consoles that haven't been put into stock."

ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS.

Oh well - I'm not feeling too optimistic that this is going to turn out okay. I've spoken with 2 people from the 800 xbox number and they've both been absolutely rude morons.

I should get the box in the next 4 days, then she said it'd be 8-10 days before I got my console back.

I had zero problems with the regular xbox - I like the theory behind the 360 - but I'm thinking this thing is a dog.
This is why I buy Sony products...My PS2 stopped reading disks after a while. I called up sony, the girl was extremely nice and I told her the situation. She didn't argue or say it was my fault...she just said ok sir i'll need your adress and phone # and we will be happy to replace your PS2. The best part was I got an extra controller with the BRand new console....pretty sweet. Oh, did I mention M$ sucks?

XNine
Mar 27, 2006, 02:52 PM
This is why I buy Sony products...My PS2 stopped reading disks after a while. I called up sony, the girl was extremely nice and I told her the situation. She didn't argue or say it was my fault...she just said ok sir i'll need your adress and phone # and we will be happy to replace your PS2. The best part was I got an extra controller with the BRand new console....pretty sweet. Oh, did I mention M$ sucks?

Who gives a rats ass? It's a call center. There are good reps and there are ****ty reps. Doesn't matter. You could call MS, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Dell, and every other company out there and for every 5 good reps there's a jerkoff not worth talking to.

It's not limited to MS, whom, every time I've ever called Xbox Live, have always had great reps.

saunders45
Mar 27, 2006, 03:07 PM

We are Sony... resistance is futile....

Dagless
Mar 27, 2006, 03:40 PM
We are Sony... resistance is futile....

I've "resisted" quite well since playing a PS2 for a couple of weeks :p

wako
Mar 27, 2006, 03:49 PM
This isn't just limited to the system, patches are now standard for console games. Personally that is a bit upsetting. Console games used have bugs squashed before being released. Now it is common practice to just release a buggy mess, and then patch it when you get a chance.

ROFL!!!!!

Are you kidding me?! EVERY GAME has bugs. Even the first mario game had bugs and glitches! In fact, PS2 when it was first lauched almost every game was plagued with bugs because they rushed the system and games. It is actually a GODSEND now a days you can actually patch console games, yet you are here complaining?!

You must've lived in a fantasy world thinking console games shouldn't and didn't have bugs.

Also, it is not surprising that these games have bugs. These games aren't small and able to fit in a cartridge anymore. These are huge games. 2-4gigs worth. Coding that is longer than a 1000 paged book. Its a textbook now. If you know the slightest thing about coding it is that it is hard to find the bugs and fix them. And most of all, it is never the HARDWARE that is the cause of problems. It is the DEVELOPER's fault in their software. You will definately see bugs and glitches getting patched on the PS3. Hell its already happening on the PSP right? ;)

Dagless
Mar 27, 2006, 05:51 PM
umm... Not really. You see. When you play Mario or another old game, and you see the bugs you get used to them. changing anything about a game that requires everything to be pixel perfect is a bad thing. If Nintendo released an updated Super Mario Bros on the Rev that had no bugs and 3D backgrounds and all that 'fixing' stuff, then the feel of Mario would be lost.

I don't think you seem to understand that updating software is a 2 edged sword. One hand you can play near-bug free games, on the other hand it's an excuse for developers to put out buggy games.

I am on the fence with this now. For those 2 reasons I listed above.

XNine
Mar 27, 2006, 06:00 PM
umm... Not really. You see. When you play Mario or another old game, and you see the bugs you get used to them. changing anything about a game that requires everything to be pixel perfect is a bad thing. If Nintendo released an updated Super Mario Bros on the Rev that had no bugs and 3D backgrounds and all that 'fixing' stuff, then the feel of Mario would be lost.

I don't think you seem to understand that updating software is a 2 edged sword. One hand you can play near-bug free games, on the other hand it's an excuse for developers to put out buggy games.

Hence why he said CARTDIDGE games versus the Disc media that is distributed now. The information is, in some isntances, millions of times larger.

I'm going to throw feces at you when the first Zelda game for the Rev has to be patched. And it won't be dry either...

coffey7
Mar 27, 2006, 09:29 PM
I walked into a game store and asked to use the bathroom. I went in the back room and the entire room was filled with PS2'S being serviced. The guys at this store and every other video game store said the ps2's have had tons of problems. They said the gamecubes almost never needed to be fixed and the xboxes were the same. I never had a problem with my MS computer or my xbox1 or 360.
I have had every brand car and truck and never had any problems. I have had(or have) ps2, gamecube , xbox, 360 and never had any problems.I could care less about all this fanboy stuff. If you take care of something then It will be fine. I'm going to buy a new apple computer (new ibook replacement) and put it next to my HP desktop.

LethalWolfe
Mar 28, 2006, 01:21 AM
I think the "advantage" that MS thinks they have is going to blow up in their face. The dreamcast had a head start over the PS2 and we all saw how that ended up.

This isn't very much like the DC/PS2 situation at all.

Lethal

toomuchstereo
Mar 28, 2006, 02:17 AM
O.K. Since a good number of people here don't believe me about the number 5 I'll give you guys a run down of the problems.

1. Bought Launch Day. Mine was fine while everyone else I know was having the freezing problems and what not. Beginning of January the DVD drive just decides to quit working. Call MS. Replacement on the way. Was actually happy with the service at this point.

2. Recieve replacement (refurb) dashboard language was spanish....great. This unit would not connect to xbox live. After 3 weeks and about 300 people having this same problem M.S. acknoledges their workers disabled the Hardware for Live access. Replacement on the way.

3. After receiving this new xbox, it would not output a video signal to any television. Turns out the three places you can look at your serial # on the machine, all have different SN's. MS says **** thats not right.......two weeks later M.S. decides to send me a new Xbox.

4. I decide to buy another one (I love pain) I want to play fight night, and GRAW is coming soon, and I want to play them right away. This one actually works.

5. Received 360 #5 quick tested it, and proptlly sold it to a friend to rid myself of the curse. He is having random lock up problems with it, but is dealing with it.

So there is the story of the 5 360's none of that is made up. And as far as other people maybe claiming it's in a bad enviroment. Not the case. Same place as all my electronics, plenty of air for the brick, and it's well placed for good ventilation, I'm 26 and know how to take care of my stuff. Overall, I just don't expect to have these types of problems with this kind of stuff, I've been playing games since I was 5, and have never had problems with a system. I know it's more advanced and whatnot, I guess I just expect something I pay for to work. I've never had a problem with my HDTV,ONKYO Surround Sound, PS2, Gamecube, Mac, PS1, N64 Saturn, Dreamcast, SNES, NES, Genesis, or Atari 2600.

Once again sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent.

Doraemon
Mar 28, 2006, 02:43 AM
Hell the only system I've owned that has actual problems is the nes...

Really? Mine is still working like a charm. Just like the SNES and the Genesis.

360? PS3? Revolution? The SNES is still the best console ever! :D

wako
Mar 28, 2006, 03:00 AM
One hand you can play near-bug free games, on the other hand it's an excuse for developers to put out buggy games.

Tell me a game that didn't have any bugs.

Its really not much of a two edge sword here. If you really want to play the blame game here, its not even the developers. It is really the publishers that rush the games. If it was up to the developers, they would take their sweet time until everything is absolutely perfect and exactly how they want it. Unfortunately for them, funding isn't free, money is time, publishers are ass hats.

And again, these games are pages long of coding. Its like trying to find EVERY BUG in OSX before they released it. Would you say then that OSX was rushed and was a piece of crap? It sure as hell got alot of patches dont you think? It must mean Apple just wanted to put out a buggy operating system then right?

Toomuchstereo, its not that we do not believe you that you have a buggy system. I mean I hear on the Xbox forums that this crap is happening. It definately is. It is simply (atleast for me) that you are stating that PATCHING A GAME is what is making the console wrong? That is just total BS. That isnt the system's fault. That is the developer patching their bugs, which is a good thing and has nothing to do with microsoft.

shazammy
Mar 28, 2006, 03:04 AM
I love how people who haven't even ever played on an Xbox 360 love to jump on the hatewagon and say "YEAH! I'LL NEVER BUY ANYTHING M$ MAKES!!! HAHAHAHAH!" So if some company you hated invented the cure for cancer, and you got cancer, I guess you'd just let that one go too. Genius.

I, for one, freakin' love my Xbox 360. Oblivion is a downright GORGEOUS game (puts a ton of PC games to shame) and GRAW is just plain badass. Plus they have the best online gaming/marketplace around, which is also miles ahead of what anyone else offers. Kick in the Xbox Live Arcade, the fact that it can see my iMac on my wireless network and give me access to all my songs and photos downstairs...I love the damn thing.

If you've been hesitating on buying one, I'd stop and go get one of these things. You'll love it too.

GFLPraxis
Mar 28, 2006, 03:10 AM

I am on the fence with this now. For those 2 reasons I listed above.

On the flip side...there was the Activision/Taldren issue, for example. Taldren made this awesome game, Starfleet Command 3, which had what was essentially an MMO-style game world called the Dynaverse where you could move your ships on a map, join in teams with other players, move around and battle ships for prestige for upgrades, running into players on from an opposing race on the way and battling it out, etc, and you didn't have to pay monthly fees as the servers were user-hosted and ran well.

However, there were quite a lot of bugs in the thing, most notably for some people the game crashed a whole lot while going in to a multiplayer game (which caused it to lock up for the other players). You'd expect on average one lockup per five games when playing in dynaverse mode. No problems in single player.

Well, Taldren released a patch fixing some minor issues and balancing problems. Then they made a second patch, but found out that the publisher, Activision, had a 'one patch policy' and they refused to release the second patch. Taldren got frusted with this and EVERYONE (I was a member at their boards) wanted the patch to fix a lot of problems and finally Taldren released it noting it was an "Unofficial" patch since Activision refused to support it.

To this day, some people playing the game are unpatched, then some people used the official patching tool and got the one patch from Activision, and some people keep up with the latest unofficial patch, but as you can see there ended up being quite a lot of different versions. The people with the latest patches have a much better experience but thanks to Activision refusing to release more patches some people who don't have the patch can't play with those who do.

I've hated Activision ever since they became publisher for SFC3 (they force Taldren to make some changes to the game that were unwelcomed, then refused to release the NEEDED patches, then after getting in a squabble with Taldren used their hold on the Star Trek license to prevent Taldren from making more games in the series and driving them out of business, killing one of my favorite gaming companies).

GFLPraxis
Mar 28, 2006, 03:11 AM
Tell me a game that didn't have any bugs.

Tetris and Pong :p Games too simple to mess up.

wako
Mar 28, 2006, 03:28 AM
Games too simple to mess up.

exactly... TOO SIMPLE to mess up...

however, i think tetris did have a small glitch on the first game boys. Im not sure if it was hardware or software. But if you turned it off abruptly sometimes it might clear out your score.

Doraemon
Mar 28, 2006, 05:05 AM
however, i think tetris did have a small glitch on the first game boys. Im not sure if it was hardware or software. But if you turned it off abruptly sometimes it might clear out your score.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Mine never remembered my score!

Dagless
Mar 28, 2006, 05:39 AM
...Oblivion is a downright GORGEOUS game (puts a ton of PC games to shame)...

You do know that Oblivion is out on the PC too? Right? :confused:

Dagless
Mar 28, 2006, 05:49 AM
... Are there any games that have online updates that are bug free? :rolleyes:

DeeJay Dan
Mar 28, 2006, 06:49 AM
I'm not happy with MS due to their software. In all fairness my 1 gen Xbox still works fine except for a AC cord recall which was replaced with out a problem. The only reason why I bought an Xbox in the first place is because the only store open didn't have a Simpsons game in stock for PS2 so I bought another console, I was really impressed with the internal HD as this was a first.

I won't buy a 360 due to the fact that I don't like MS. I will probably never buy another Windows computer if I cannot afford a MBP when my desktop finally gives out I'll buy a low end laptop and throw one of the user friendly Linux distros on it.

PS2 games have bugs too. My GC True Crime:Streets of LA has constant rendering problems. GC controllers suck IMO

I've played around with a 360 on a couple of occasions and was impressed. I'll hold out for PS3 because I cannot afford both and I've liked the PS since the first one came out. Did everyone forget the amount of problems with the Slim PS2? I personally know 3 people who had to swap out at least 7 or 8 units in total to do dead drives and overheating problems.

coffey7
Mar 28, 2006, 08:15 AM
Sometimes these problems do happen. I have just been lucky with all my gizmos. I hope you don't have anymore problems with the 360.

bitfactory
Mar 28, 2006, 08:44 AM
Who gives a rats ass? It's a call center. There are good reps and there are ****ty reps. Doesn't matter. You could call MS, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Dell, and every other company out there and for every 5 good reps there's a jerkoff not worth talking to.

It's not limited to MS, whom, every time I've ever called Xbox Live, have always had great reps.

Agreed. Though the point is, you don't make the customer feel like he/she is lying - or just dumb.

Foxer
Mar 28, 2006, 10:03 AM
I hooked up my new Xbox 360 last night and it is one of the "freezers." Real annoying. This is my second unit (sold one from December to my friend). That unit had no problems at all. Well, back to EB Games you go.

XNine
Mar 28, 2006, 11:27 AM
Agreed. Though the point is, you don't make the customer feel like he/she is lying - or just dumb.

True, which is the point where you ask to speak to their supervisor, and explain to them how they treated you without provocation on your end.

Haoshiro
Mar 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
It's true, bad techs doesn't mean bad company (and vice-versa)... but heck if people don't act that way! They get a bad tech and hate on the company.

My experience with both Apple and Microsoft (360) support was excellent.

Bad techs will end up fired, but take Onizuka's advice and help get that accelerated... nobody wants to get their manager involved! ;)

GFLPraxis
Mar 28, 2006, 12:01 PM
exactly... TOO SIMPLE to mess up...

Was that a bug, or could you have been turning it off while it was saving the score?

Haoshiro
Mar 28, 2006, 12:11 PM
Sure there is likely a bug in virtually every game released, regardless of platform however in my experience the release quality of console games has, historically, been better then that of PC games.

Having a harddrive in a console is a double-edged sword. Sure, you can patch games that need it, but then again, that alone can encourage publishers to push a game out even earlier then they would have if the option didn't exist.

That said, there will always be those Superman 64 and Temple of Elemental Evil games that get released with so many bugs that it's a challenge just to try to get to the game through the mess...

Look at Starcraft, Blizzard still pumps out updates for it after, what, 10 years?

takao
Mar 28, 2006, 12:30 PM
anybody in the US catched the "Söldner" debacle in germany ? it was one of the top anticipated games i think 1,5 - 2 years ago (think Battlefield 2 built around online and more weapons) but the first hundreds of megs big patch was released actually before the game made it to the stores only to be followed by more huge patches within ~2 months

after 3-4 months they repackaged it and soll it completely patched (but still with plenty bugs) as "Söldner: Reloaded" ... it was kinda like "The Fall" .. only worse

and that doubled edged sword HD+internet _is_ dangerous ...
i just had that thing come up on a project round last week to quote the project leader: "for the online version we can always patch it later but for the offline one distributed on the CD we have to be more carefull"

Cooknn
Mar 28, 2006, 02:19 PM
Just bought my first. Totally spontaneous :eek: I had about $1K saved up for a new MacBook, but I guess it will have to wait until next month - that is if it's even released! I was at lunch today and popped into EB. I asked the clerk what the status was on 360's and he said he just got 2 in like 10 minutes earlier - the ones with the HD. I jumped on it. Bought PGR3 and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, plus I reserved the new Tomb Raider and snagged another controller. This should all look pretty good on my 50" HDTV eh? That is if the XBox 360 doesn't lock up :o

Haoshiro
Mar 28, 2006, 02:38 PM
Nice, I'm looking forward to trying out the new Tomb Raider as well, and Far Cry actually!

Dagless
Mar 28, 2006, 02:48 PM
On a side note; is the new Tomb Raider a remake of the first game?

Haoshiro
Mar 28, 2006, 03:10 PM
On a side note; is the new Tomb Raider a remake of the first game?

No, but considered a "return to roots" for the series.

sam10685
Mar 29, 2006, 12:54 PM
My room is completely Microsoft free:D I have everything (DS, PSP, Gamecube, PS2, and will buy the new DS, PS3, and Revolution) except any XBOX.

i plan on doing the same thing. microsoft sucks.