Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Hello Everyone

I am looking to get a flashgun, as I couldn't afford one when i bought my Canon EOS 350D. So here is the question, do i go for

A) A 2nd hand Canon Speedlite 430 (or thereabouts)
B) A new sigma flashgun? (which would be a lot cheaper)

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience?

Cheers in advance

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What will you use it for? Why don't you like the built-in flash?
Will it be used off camera? on a stand? on a flash bracket or inside a softbox. Do you plan on a multi flash studio type setup.

It's hard to tell tou what to get unless you give more info. but it normally boils down to if you need or want a lot of automaion or if you just want more power

mcmadhatter said:
I am looking to get a flashgun .....

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Sigma 500 DG Super

Awesome flash, and it makes people around you know you mean business when you can light an insanely dark room up and get good exposure at 1/100 and f5.6 .

I have been nothing but impressed with this flash.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
ChrisA said:
What will you use it for? Why don't you like the built-in flash?
Will it be used off camera? on a stand? on a flash bracket or inside a softbox. Do you plan on a multi flash studio type setup.

It's hard to tell tou what to get unless you give more info. but it normally boils down to if you need or want a lot of automaion or if you just want more power

I want flashgun so that I can direct where the flash go's , and put adiffuser on it easiliy, it should help alleviate harsh shadows and red eye. So it would be used on camara. It will also be useful for low light situations and more control

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.