PDA

View Full Version : Difference between iBook and MacBook Pro

zap2
Mar 26, 2006, 08:20 PM
So I know the MacBook Pro is faster, ect. But i'm spot were i would give up my iBook and get a new base 1999 MacBook Pro! Seems cool until i see the things i could miss.

But How is battery life when vs a iBook G4 1.33 last rev?
How is AirPort strength of a MBP vs a iBook G4?
Lastly how is the size and weight of a MBP vs an iBook 12''?

Is the speed of the MBP worth the extra weight and loss of battery life?

What would you do?

MUCKYFINGERS
Mar 26, 2006, 08:38 PM
i'd pickup the MBP over the 12" iBook in a heartbeat, if money was no factor.

mmmcheese
Mar 26, 2006, 09:00 PM
So I know the MacBook Pro is faster, ect. But i'm spot were i would give up my iBook and get a new base 1999 MacBook Pro! Seems cool until i see the things i could miss.

Is the speed of the MBP worth the extra weight and loss of battery life?

What would you do?

Do you want it because you need the speed/feature/etc. or do you just want one because it's new and cool?

rusty018
Mar 26, 2006, 09:00 PM
Well it is important to know that the MBP is more than just a faster computer. Mine hasn't arrived yet :-( but...

1. The MBP is a much faster computer than the iBook.

2. iBook batter life will be better by an hour or so. I get a little over 4
hours on mine right now and I hear the MBP gets a little over 3.

3. MBP is obviously bigger right now. Its a 15" screen opposed to a 12". But
the MBP is thinner. MBP is 5.6 pounds. 12" iBook is 4.9 lbs. MBP is
actually not much heavier than the 12".

4. You get a superdrive. No superdrive in 12" iBook.

5. MBP comes with built-in iSight camera

6. MBP comes with Front Row software w/ remote

7. MBP = more RAM and more expandability

8. MBP = backlit keyboard

9. MBP = audio in jack

10. MBP = better graphics

11. MBP = much better screen

12. MBP = much better design

13. MBP = Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
iBook = "megabit" ethernet (10/100)

14. MBP = bigger and faster hard drive
MBP has a 5400 RPM hard drive while iBook only has a 4200 RPM hard
drive

15. MBP = DVI out

16. MBP = MagSafe Connector

17. MBP = way of the future

and much more...

It all depends on what you need, what kind of work you do on your computer, money you have to spend, and how much you need it. If you can wait, it might be a good idea, especially if you might want a new MacBook (Intel iBook) or a different version of the MacBook Pro. I have a 1.0 Ghz 12" iBook and I chose to upgrade to the MBP. But I do some video work and the iBook just wan't enough. Its hard to give any advice without knowing your situation. But the facts don't lie. The MBP is a great machine. More than just a faster computer when compared to the iBook.

smokeyboi
Mar 26, 2006, 09:25 PM
I was gonna reply but Rusty pretty much covered every single thing! lol :p

he left out the optical digital audio in and out though! hehe

Spanky Deluxe
Mar 26, 2006, 09:35 PM
Zap2, I'm sure it'd be worth you waiting an extra week or so to see if the iBook's Intel based replacement comes out after the 30th Anniversary supposed announcement. A MacBook or intel iBook could be exactly the kind of thing you're looking for.

mkrishnan
Mar 26, 2006, 09:42 PM

If you want to know those specific three questions, the answers, as mentioned above, are ... the iBook has longer battery life, is smaller, and weighs less. The airport strength might be slightly better with the iBook...people have noted problems with the metal shell of the Powerbooks, which are similar to the MBP shell, and there are also reports of problems at the moment with AE on MBPs. Although those should get fixed by a software update.

With respect to what you should do... if you want or need a new computer now, get it. If not, you can always wait, sell your iBook, and get something else...there should eventually be a Core Duo option from Apple that's smaller than the current MBP, whether it's a smaller MBP or an iBook successor. :)

bodeh6
Mar 27, 2006, 11:10 AM
If I could afford it, I would replace my iBook with the MBP in a heart beat. Do your self a favor and go to either an Apple Store or CompUSA and check both of them out live in person.

Caitlyn
Mar 27, 2006, 07:53 PM
I have an iBook 1.33GHz G4 12" but I wouldn't swap it for a MBP because I love the small size of the 12". But you have a 14" right? If that is the case, then go for the MBP! It definitely has more to offer. My universal answer to most questions like this is if you can afford it, do it. :)