Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
illegal

This sales tax on internet access is illegal. The federal government renewed a law a couple of years ago that made such taxes illegal. Only Congress can pass laws to tax internet access. Write your Congressman or Senator. Tell them to get rid of that "Got Milk?" campaign the tax payers are supporting too. Soy Milk tastes better and doesn't spoil like milk in a week after you open the bottle. Soy Milk needs to be approved for the school lunch program for students who can't drink cow milk.

Pete

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Re: illegal

Originally posted by peter2002

This sales tax on internet access is illegal. The federal government renewed a law a couple of years ago that made such taxes illegal. Only Congress can pass laws to tax internet access. ...

Pete

Do you have a supporting document (URL) on this? All I can find online is bills proposing bans at the Federal level, and nothing on States doing what they please.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
At very least, i know that taxing emails is illegal, which hasn't stopped the urban legends from circulating about them... i think internet access is also protected... try doing a google search on it...

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.