Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello all good fellow brother and sister mac people,

questiona bout the bove title...

i will probably purchase macdrive, it seems to be a good solution for me.

when i am on my xp partition, and i use macdrive to access, say, an illustrator file off of my osx partition, and i work on it and change it and save it on my osx partition, what if any are the drawbacks?

what are the drawbacks in using and saving files casually across an xp and an osx partition using macdrive?

thanks,
r.

Suspended
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
If you save the file on your XP partition, you can view it from mac os x... so there aren't any drawbacks that I can see. Adobe files are completely cross-compatible.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
it going to depends on which filesystem you selected for your partitions format will decide what problems you will have.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
superbovine said:
it going to depends on which filesystem you selected for your partitions format will decide what problems you will have.

i'm usually not this kind of person but....

... grammer man. "it's going to depend on which filesystem you selected for your partitions formate. it will decide what problem you will have. " or something like dat.

r.

Uma888

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Best thing to do is make a partition that both OS's can read and write to. I have done this on my windows box. i have 3 partitions:
1) Linux (Reiser FS)
2) Windows (NTFS)
3) Documents (FAT32)

You might have to resize your NTFS/HFS partition its up to you

You may need to reinstall everthing

glorfindeal

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2006
Uma888 said:
Best thing to do is make a partition that both OS's can read and write to. I have done this on my windows box. i have 3 partitions:
1) Linux (Reiser FS)
2) Windows (NTFS)
3) Documents (FAT32)

You might have to resize your NTFS/HFS partition its up to you

You may need to reinstall everthing

Sorry, to tell you this, but OS X can not write to NTFS, it can only read it. And as far as I can tell, there is no 3rd party solution to fix this. He would have to format his XP partition to fat32, which means it can't be larger than 32 GB.

Glor

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
glorfindeal said:
Sorry, to tell you this, but OS X can not write to NTFS, it can only read it. And as far as I can tell, there is no 3rd party solution to fix this. He would have to format his XP partition to fat32, which means it can't be larger than 32 GB.

Glor
That may be true, but you can have more than one partition in XP. Like Uma888, I have a PC that dual boots XP and Linux. My XP install is on an NTFS partitions, and that's where all the applications sit. Documents (ie. My Documents/My Downloads/My Music etc) and other shared data are on a FAT32 partition. I save anything that I may need in Linux to the shared partition, when I'm working with XP. I automount the FAT32 partition when booting into Linux.

I don't believe there's a 32GB limit on partition size for FAT32 - I have a 120GB external HDD formatted as FAT32. There is a limit on file size of 4GB.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
whyrichard said:
i'm usually not this kind of person but....

... grammer man. "it's going to depend on which filesystem you selected for your partitions formate. it will decide what problem you will have. " or something like dat.

r.

sorry i was half asleep... my advice is still sound.

glorfindeal

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2006
plinden said:
That may be true, but you can have more than one partition in XP. Like Uma888, I have a PC that dual boots XP and Linux. My XP install is on an NTFS partitions, and that's where all the applications sit. Documents (ie. My Documents/My Downloads/My Music etc) and other shared data are on a FAT32 partition. I save anything that I may need in Linux to the shared partition, when I'm working with XP. I automount the FAT32 partition when booting into Linux.

I don't believe there's a 32GB limit on partition size for FAT32 - I have a 120GB external HDD formatted as FAT32. There is a limit on file size of 4GB.

You can have 2 or more partitions in XP on a pc but no one has posted that they have been able to set up their Mac with multiple partitions for XP. Also, I believe you can format a partition greater that 32 GB from another source or even a different formatting tool, but XP's formatter will not allow you to format a partition greater than 32 GB without making it NTFS.

Glor

macrants

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2003
I bought MacDrive, and I'm super pleased. Using only 2 partitions is simpler and allows me to have the most space available for both partitions.

I haven't run into issues, and I use it pretty heavily. I would naturally caution you that Windows has basically root access to your Mac partition, and any virus or spyware will have access to the Mac partition while using Macdrive.

My solution is to not be an idiot and use Avast antivirus, and not to download crap that contains spyware.

It's only been 10 days, but I'm pretty happy with my dual-boot situation. Now if Stratus Fear will magically make ATI drivers happen, I'll finally know what video games on a computer are like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.