Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
I am wondering if a post like the one below, in the marketplace, would be allowed. It doesn't say anything in the forum rules about this, but I don't want to piss off anyone on MacRumors, so I figured I'd ask here first.

WTB: 3 Referals on a Free Mac Mini site

I am looking for some people to 'refer' to one of those referal based free stuff sites. I know they're legit (got an iPod and a $275 gift certificate already), but I am having trouble finding enough referals for a Mac Mini before the site's deadline. I am willing to pay around $30 for someone to sign up using my referal link and participate in one offer.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
No.
Instantly Bannable Offenses

These can be one-time bannable offenses for which you will not get a warning.

1. Direct personal insult, i.e., "You are an idiot." and all the variations. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people. And the only purpose of a post like this is to incite other people. There are a lot of other non-direct-personal insults that won't necessary get you banned instantly, such as... "that is an idiotic comment". Depending on the context/nature, they may get edited. Bottom line -- don't try to piss off others.
2. Spam. Not just being a prolific poster, but posting the same exact post in many different threads, posting multiple pointless posts in the same thread, or making numerous post with no real content. This will get you banned.
3. MacRumors does not condone pyramid schemes (e.g. free iPods or Macs if you refer X number of people). Members who post referral links to these sites will have their posts/signatures edited and may be subject to banning. New members who post solely for this purpose will be immediately banned.
4. Using the forums for advertising. Contact MacRumors [About page] if you want to buy advertising at the site. Threads started for the purpose of advertising products, services, or businesses will be deleted and the poster banned.
5. Violation of the rules you agreed to when registering for the site: that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
6. Registration. If you were banned, you may not reregister. Reinstatement can come only from arn.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
alright. i knew i had read something like that in the past but i didnt know if it applied to buying refs from people. thanks.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Most of those sites are scams now, and the few that actually do work sell your private info to spammers. :rolleyes:

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
just to comment on this

it worked for me, i got a free ipod shuffle. actually, they screwed up and sent me 2 of them
andreas

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
blueflame said:
it worked for me, i got a free ipod shuffle. actually, they screwed up and sent me 2 of them
andreas
Good for you, this doesn't however change anything as far as we are concerned.

Post this trash at your own risk boys and girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.