PDA

View Full Version : iBook Replacement Design Poll

esaleris
Mar 27, 2006, 12:47 PM
Hey all,

Seeing as the MacBook Pro, the Mac mini, and the iMac were rolled out in quick succession, it would seem to indicate that Apple is taking a bit more time and putting more care into the replacement for the iBook. Perhaps a new design?

OutThere
Mar 27, 2006, 12:53 PM
I'd imagine that they'll change the design considerably...the iBook design has been stable for AGES, it's about time they made it look different somehow. :)

socamx
Mar 27, 2006, 01:09 PM
Personally I like my iBook the way it is. Bit thinner/lighter would be nice but other than that it is fine.

Jaffa Cake
Mar 27, 2006, 01:15 PM
I'm going for them keeping the old look – or at least, not moving too far away from the current form factor. Looking at all the models that have been updated so far, they've all been very similar to their PowerPC cousins. Maybe Apple isn't making massive changes so consumers are reassured that these computers are 'still Apples' and not glorified Windows PCs?

m-dogg
Mar 27, 2006, 01:17 PM
I voted yes, more becasue I WANT to see a redesign.

So far they haven't significantly changed any form factors on the move to Intel though, so precedent says it won't change (besides the IR receiver & iSight that all the other models are getting).

esaleris
Mar 27, 2006, 03:26 PM
My implied guess was that because the iBook is taking so much longer than the other Intel-switchovers, that it might be that the iBook is getting a makeover...

Maybe?

gekko513
Mar 27, 2006, 03:32 PM
It won't be very different, but it will be widescreen and it will also be available in black.

celebrian23
Mar 27, 2006, 07:02 PM
I hope it's different. Like you know how the mbp is basically just a continuation of the pb line? Well I don't want the intel ibook to be like that. Just because I don't think the design is innovative like it once was.

eXan
Mar 27, 2006, 08:01 PM
I think they'll keep the current design, but reshape it to the new widescreen and maybe update keyboard

eXan
Mar 27, 2006, 08:04 PM
My implied guess was that because the iBook is taking so much longer than the other Intel-switchovers, that it might be that the iBook is getting a makeover...

Maybe?

An interesting theory :)

Caitlyn
Mar 27, 2006, 08:04 PM
I actually think the iBook is pretty hott. I just would like to see an iSight, widescreen display (13"?) and a little thinner. The white is classic! :)

mkrishnan
Mar 27, 2006, 08:33 PM
I actually think the iBook is pretty hott. I just would like to see an iSight, widescreen display (13"?) and a little thinner. The white is classic! :)

I think so too... I guess this qualifies as a redesign, but this is basically what I want. Ideally drop a little weight and add a little battery life. Maybe give it a metal bottom like an iPod! :p But I like the white. :)

iMeowbot
Mar 27, 2006, 08:56 PM
It's certainly about time that Apple brought the iBook up to current Apple design standards. I predict that the next iBook will be a (possibly translucent) white with gray or silver accents, profoundly rectangular, and with rounded corners.

generik
Mar 27, 2006, 11:43 PM
My guess is we will see 12" and 17" MBPs as well, hence the delay :rolleyes:

onthat
Mar 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
Considering all the talk about it having a 13" display and the apparent delay of an entry-level mobile, I imagine that we'll be seeing a lot of changes for the ibook line.

In a perfect world:
-will stay with a 1" thick form factor (though hardware is shrinking, they could use the extra room to further reinforce a widescreen ibook)
-since it is widely rumored that a 13" screen will be added to the line, I don't think we are very far from seeing a 10 or 11" version.
-being that hardware has seen improvements since the recent ibooks release, I imagine consumers will have their choice of 60, 80, and 100gb (possibly even 120) HDD's...throwing out the 40gb option altogether. Reason I believe this, my understanding is that you have to designate parts of the HDD to either Windows or Mac OS.
-processors exceeding 1.8ghz twin core is doubtful
-integrated graphics is probable, but I could see a 64-128mb gpu being an option on the higher end model. Mac gaming is slowly becoming a reality, and since these mobiles will be running windows, I'd imagine that the gaming industry will want to keep up and begin producing what gamers want to see.
-improved wifi reception is guaranteed.
-may see a few of the originally powerbook-only options on the new ibooks, i.e. improved backlighting and keyboard illumination.
-8x superdrive is a given.
-probably an HD screen.
-Magsafe connector and a 10 hour battery.
-other miscellaneous improvements that will go overlooked, but will make all the difference in the world when it is released.

edit: 2gb of memory with a bus speed around 400mhz

m-dogg
Mar 28, 2006, 12:27 PM

Not that I don't necessarily like it, but I already have a white iPod and a white iMac. When I get my small 12/13" laptop, I'd rather that not be white too.

I don't want to be that white Apple guy. Being the Apple guy is fine, just not the white Appple guy! ;)

Josias
Mar 28, 2006, 01:12 PM
I think it will be 13.3" widescreen with 1280x768 (HD!:cool: ) Also 2 GB RAM (same as the other intel macs), no iSight, frontrow, 64 MB Ati X800 (please DVI). Mostly same as the mini, but with real gpu. Back to the design. I hope they keep the white stuff, it's the consumer series. Maybe thinner, wider of course. And to the guy that said they would be available in black? Have you been freezedried or in prison? That's how PB's looked 10 years ago.:p :eek:

mkrishnan
Mar 28, 2006, 01:17 PM
And to the guy that said they would be available in black? Have you been freezedried or in prison? That's how PB's looked 10 years ago.:p :eek:

I think he/she meant glossy black, with the same iBook design, like the iPod Nano comes in white and black.... That wouldn't really look much like a black old school powerbook. I personally doubt it would happen, though.

rye9
Mar 28, 2006, 01:55 PM

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I love the way my 12" looks... and adding the iSight would be perfect. Now that I think of it, a glossy black iBook would be cool, but not Apple-ish, and white and Apple-ish are the way I like 'em. :D

jericho53
Mar 28, 2006, 02:13 PM
I think it will be the same form factor with a 13 inch screen. A nice compromise between a 12 and a 15. Apple is sure to include iSight. Hopefully, it will NOT include integrated graphics.

realmcenter
Mar 28, 2006, 07:33 PM
I'm quite happy with the 12" iBook. The form factor is perfect for me and I have no desire to change the weight or size. It may be dated but the design is a classic. It was a white iBook G3 12" that originally made me decide a few years back that if I got a laptop it'd be an iBook. Here's my wishlist for an Intel iBook:

-Same case design as current models. It's tough, small, and it just works. No reason to change it.
-Use a better LCD. The iBook LCDs have rather poor viewing angles and aren't exactly great as far as contrast goes.
-Add a microphone jack and digital audio out. Or at least just digital audio out, it could share the headphone out port.
-They must use a dedicated GPU. Every other lower-end PC laptop uses crappy integrated graphics, Apple doesn't need to join the crowd.
-Even better battery life would be nice, but the current battery life is excellent as it is. I expect battery life will drop a bit with the Intel iBook though.
-Have the "premium" options like a DVD-burner available in the 12" model. That really ticked me off that the boat-anchor 14" model has a faster CPU and more features available than the 12" model.
-Make a Core Duo CPU available in the 12" model.

If the next iBook has all those features I might shell out the money to upgrade to it. But since I doubt it will, I'm counting on using my iBook G4 for a year or so to come.

jericho53
Mar 28, 2006, 07:41 PM
It would also be nice it they could improve the case quality. I am satisfied with my current iBook but the left palm rest creaks and the case seems loose by the air vent on the back too. I still love my iBook though.