PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Shuffle?

rye9
Mar 27, 2006, 06:31 PM
Does anyone think Apple would ever discontinue the Shuffle and lower the prices of the nano and iPod? (nano would replace the Shuffle)

ColdFlame87
Mar 27, 2006, 06:47 PM
I believe that discontinuing the shuffle would be a very bad move for apple. The iPod Shuffle, at only $69 USD provides an alternative to the pricey nano, i dont belive the nano, what with its color screen and greater HD capicity will be that low anytime soon. It is also much more sturdier and convenient than the nano. I believe that apple will continue updating the shuffle line. Maybe bring it down to $39.99 :D

celebrian23
Mar 27, 2006, 07:07 PM
If apple discontinued the shuffles they'd be making a mistake. The shuffle is great for people who....

1.have less than 1GB of music. Yeah they could get the 1GB nano, but the price difference is quite large.

2.people who have medium sized libraries, but only listen to a select number frequently.

3.Something cheaper than a nano as a gift, without breaking the bank

4.people who only slowly enlarge their libraries.

It's just be stupid. The shuffle has a lot of advantages.

Caitlyn
Mar 27, 2006, 07:41 PM
I think they will eventually drop the shuffle and bring in the 1GB and 2GB Nanos to replace it. Then up the Nanos to 4GB and 6GB for main-stream. Then 30GB and 60GB Video iPods would be top of the line. I'd actually like to see that. The Shuffle just doesn't fit IMO.

uaaerospace
Mar 27, 2006, 08:03 PM
Some people actually want a player without a screen. When I listen to my library in iTunes, I almost always listen in shuffle mode. Carrying around my iPod Shuffle is no different. I don't need that much music with me at once, so the memory size is sufficient. I also like the Shuffle's physical size, configuration, and battery life. It's simple and cheap at 69 bucks. IMO, it would be a mistake for Apple to discontinue the Shuffle.

eXan
Mar 27, 2006, 08:09 PM
I personally dislike Shuffle. Its not an iPod, really.

Remember what SJ said when he introduced the original iPod? He said that one of the major features iPod has is ease of use (friendly interface), but shuffle doesnt even has a screen! :eek: Even if it had, it would be crap. They'll have to design a new "shuffle-interface"

ipod Shuffle = badbabdbabdbabdbabdbad

uaaerospace
Mar 27, 2006, 08:34 PM
Remember what SJ said when he introduced the original iPod? He said that one of the major features iPod has is ease of use (friendly interface), but shuffle doesnt even has a screen!

The Shuffle is the easiest to use of all of the iPods. I can navigate with my eyes closed. Can't get an easier than that ;)

Warbrain
Mar 27, 2006, 08:43 PM
The shuffle is going to be around for a long time. People will buy it for the fact that it's cheap, that it's a pretty strong player compared to the nano or regular iPod, and it the perfect size for the price.

calebjohnston
Mar 27, 2006, 08:58 PM
The shuffle is flash based I believe and therefore has no harddrive to really worry about - makes it perfect for running. Running with regular iPods kills the harddrive. I don't think they'll replace it - only update maybe.

WildCowboy
Mar 27, 2006, 09:05 PM
The shuffle is flash based I believe and therefore has no harddrive to really worry about - makes it perfect for running. Running with regular iPods kills the harddrive. I don't think they'll replace it - only update maybe.

But that doesn't apply to the nano.

Regardless, I'm a happy shuffle owner with a library of over 4000 songs on my computer. I love the size and durability of it. I spend enough time near my computer that I can manage my shuffle's contents easily. There's definitely a continued market for the shuffle as long as the right price point is hit.

OutThere
Mar 27, 2006, 09:16 PM
You can be more brutal to the shuffle than you would be to something with a screen that you have to read, plus not having to look a screen to select your music can be a good thing as well.

I think there's a market for a very cheap, very light, durable mp3 player, and the shuffle fills it well, and doesn't pretend that a weeny little screen it worthwhile, like other little mp3 players do.

alexstein
Mar 27, 2006, 09:55 PM
I hope Apple doesn't drop the Shuffle out of the portfolio. IMO it's a unique little player that does the job fairly well.

The only thing I would like to see is a moderate price drop of about 20%.

adk
Mar 27, 2006, 10:30 PM
This is what apple wants of the average consumer:

1. Buys Shuffle just to see what all this ipod riff raff is about. Starts to rip tons of CDs into itunes, perhaps gets into the itunes music store.

2. Builds up a larger collection of music, wants more capacity, buys Nano/Video. Continues to acquire new music, now perhaps videos as well.

3. Enjoys the Itunes/Ipod interface, buys mac (doesn't happen too often, but thats how my dad ended up switching).

4. Joins MacRumors, posts up thousands of p-shops of 6G ipods

(Of course, hopefully they don't post the 6G ipod p-shops)

I believe that Shuffles are the gateway into the ipod/mac world, and apple doesn't want to lose that.

mjstew33
Mar 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
The shuffle isn't gong anywhere.. anytime soon.

Once they give out features, they can't take them back.

eXan
Mar 27, 2006, 10:40 PM
You can operate any iPod with eyes closed ;) or if you don't look at the screen

.Andy
Mar 27, 2006, 11:58 PM
I've got 1gig one alongside my 40gig 4G and 4gig Nano. I love it most out of them all. Use it half for data at work and half for music. Being able to plug it directly into usb rocks. It also cops an absolute beating and keeps on ticking.

atari1356
Mar 28, 2006, 12:13 AM

1. Buys Shuffle just to see what all this ipod riff raff is about. Starts to rip tons of CDs into itunes, perhaps gets into the itunes music store.

2. Builds up a larger collection of music, wants more capacity, buys Nano/Video. Continues to acquire new music, now perhaps videos as well.

I did the opposite. I bought a 1st generation 5gig iPod when they first came out... a couple of weeks ago I "downgraded" to a 1gig Shuffle.

I very much prefer the shuffle. It's the right size, and I don't need the screen since I usually just play random music anyways... plus I also use it as a flash drive, and it's nice being able to plug it right into the computer without any extra cables to carry around. Small, simple and fun. :D

madmaxmedia
Mar 28, 2006, 12:52 AM
The Shuffle is more durable and easier to operate without looking at than the Nano. Mainly because it's a lot harder to accident mess up your volume setting.

There weren't countless scratch threads when the Shuffle came out. Nuf' said. Plus the price point is a good one.

That being said, I think they could make some improvements to the interface. I would love to see additional commands (say pressing play+forward to skip forward 10 songs) that didn't change basic functionality.

student_trap
Mar 28, 2006, 03:01 AM
If i'm doing anything active, (i.e. gym) I always take the shuffle...who wants to carry and risk breaking a full size ipod?

MUCKYFINGERS
Mar 28, 2006, 03:04 AM
I think I like the shuffle more than the nano. I don't like the look of the nano and the shuffle is just a cool product.

princealfie
Mar 28, 2006, 08:46 AM
I love my Shuffle. I plan to get a few more of those because they are durable. And they play itunes too!

DrStrangelove
Mar 28, 2006, 09:19 AM

3. Enjoys the Itunes/Ipod interface, buys mac (doesn't happen too often, but thats how my dad ended up switching).

4. Joins MacRumors, posts up thousands of p-shops of 6G ipods

(Of course, hopefully they don't post the 6G ipod p-shops)

I believe that Shuffles are the gateway into the ipod/mac world, and apple doesn't want to lose that.

I think adk is right on point here. For me it was the nano, but with a little less money in my pocket it would have easily been the shuffle. The iPod overall was my "first step" into macdom.

The apple computing experience, from my perspective, well, there were people I knew that swore by mac by the majority of folks I worked with and interacted with were still on PC. There was no overwhelming evidence to switch how I computed at that time.

Then along came this iPod revolution and EVERYONE was carrying one- regardless of how they computed. Eventually I bought one-- and did so in an apple store. I started to play with the computers in there. Long story short, my nano purchase is wholly responsible for generating a $3000 computer purchase 2 weeks later.

THAT'S what the shuffle is about ultimately. I'm sure apple runs numbers to see what the purchasing chain looks like. Does a shuffle lead to a larger iPod? How many iPod purchases convert to new apple computing users, etc. I'd be interested to see the market research.

reisha12
Mar 28, 2006, 09:35 AM
I think the iPod Shuffle fitts great as a Flash Drive and it is also great for excising and working out in the gym, the iPod shuffle is by far the smallest iPod in size and is light to carry around which makes it even more great. You can easy update your iPod shuffles with sound you like to add or delete from your libary, shuffle it or keep it in order and you are on your way. If Apple decides to discontinue the iPod Suffle it is ok with me, because I know to myself that I have one of Apples fine Products.;)

I know the the shuffle may seem a little oxward not having a sceen, but think about it, when you are in a car listening to the radio do you see what the radio is about to play next, I don't think so, but as I said before once you have arranged your music in the way you want it to play then you should not have any problems knowing what comes next.:D

telecomm
Mar 28, 2006, 09:52 AM
Also, the shuffle can be used as a USB thumbdrive, while the Nano can't be used for data storage.

For people who listent to music and shuffle ;) files back and forth from a Mac to a PC, the shuffle is ideal.

fatandlazy11
Mar 28, 2006, 09:57 AM
Yes, first I owned a 4g 20 gig ipod, but i used it to heavily (i.e, dropped it more then a few times) so when it finnaly gave up, i wanted another. I was a bit short on cash at the time, so i bought a shuffle on ebay for $70.(Of course, If I had waited 2 weeks, I could have bought it NEW for that much. Oh well.) I like it, becuase even though it has no screen, I dont need too much space. I mean, Ive got a libary with about 200 songs, but only about 50 I listen to a lot. the 512 meg shuffle is perfect for a person with a smaller libary, and the battery life is awesome. It's durable, lightwieght, eficcient and it gets the job done. The perfect iPod.

m-dogg
Mar 28, 2006, 10:31 AM
The shuffle is great for working out. It's cheap, tough & durable. I don't have to worry about a screen getting scratched up or needing a case. When I'm out on my bike I can't be looking at a screen anyway, so it is really great for that.

I definitely think it has it's place in the lineup...

IJ Reilly
Mar 28, 2006, 10:48 AM
Whoa, you shouldn't be listening to your iPod while riding your bike. Very dangerous!

Anyway, since I bought a shuffle, my old 3G iPod goes virtually unused. I'm surprised by how much I prefer the little critter.

aquajet
Mar 28, 2006, 11:06 AM
The Shuffle is the most durable of all iPod models, considering it doesn't have a screen or any moving parts. That's why I use it while riding my bicycle (although only while I'm off-road), and my 3G 20 gig for everthing else (on a side note: it's got a NewerTech battery -- a great investment for those who've got older iPods with crappy batteries). I think it's a good idea for Apple to offer a cheap and durable solution for those who need it. I don't think the Shuffle is going anywhere.

macpastor
Mar 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
Much has been said already, but I am in favor of the shuffle, albeit at a $49 price point for the 512, and $79 for the 1GB. Lower the Nano to $129 and you have a sweet spot for everything.

In addition, I see the price for the 2GB Nano going to $169, a 4 GB for $199 and a new 6 or 8 GB for $229 and $259 respectively. If you read some of the business commentaries on Nano sales, they speak of lowering the price and increasing memory to regenerate interest and sale.

ClarkeB
Mar 28, 2006, 02:17 PM
One thing nobody has mentioned thus far: the iPod nano is flash based as well. So I think at some point we'll see a 512MB iPod nano to replace the shuffle (as we now have 1GB overlapping)

lamina
Mar 28, 2006, 02:48 PM
I borrowed a friend's shuffle for a weekend, and I must say that the AutoFill feature is absolutely awesome. It gives you a random (or not-so-random) mix of music from your library, and it's different every time.

I think the shuffle is here to stay.

cgratti
Mar 28, 2006, 03:00 PM
The shuffle is great for people who like to excercise, run, bike, ect... It's durable , light and carries just enough music for things like this. it's also great for people who are technologically illiterate and smaller children, it's very easy to operate and durable.

QCassidy352
Mar 28, 2006, 03:18 PM
i think the shuffle is great and not going anywhere. The price doesn't even really need to come down, either. What I'd love to see, though, is the width of the shuffle being decreased a bit so that it doesnt' block adjacent usb ports. If they could get the depth down to the same as the nano that would be awesome too.