PDA

View Full Version : ibook hinge bent charge?

xboiledeggx
Mar 27, 2006, 06:55 PM
well tonight i tripped on my power cord and my ibook fell off the bed. It works fine at least it has so far but the lid is bent to the right about 2 millimeters and it wont close unless i push it to the right a little then push down. Anyone know how much the Apple Store would charge to fix whatever the hinge or what to make the lid straight again its only off a hair but enough to not close right and drive me nuts. I am still covered on the limited warranty since i bought it in november of last year. please let me know ASAP if you know.

SpAtZ
Mar 27, 2006, 07:32 PM
My sister messed up her display enclosure. Its a $600 repair. Applecare would not pay for it. But maybe in your case it is different. Just go apple store and find from the genius

2nyRiggz
Mar 27, 2006, 08:18 PM
you will be paying a lot. Go into the store and see what they can do for u.

Bless

xboiledeggx
Mar 27, 2006, 08:40 PM
$600 bucks for a couple millimeters offset from center!!! I mean comeon ill try to post a pic of it its not that bad but if its that much to fix it im gonna just live with it i guess. I read the applecare limited warranty and it specifically says they wont do anything for problems caused by accidents so i guess its a waste of time.

iSaint
Mar 27, 2006, 08:53 PM
Mine's a couple of millimeters off to the right, and I have to push it to the left to keep it closed. I figure this is acceptable considering there wasn't further damage when I pulled mine onto the floor, too.

calebjohnston
Mar 27, 2006, 08:55 PM
Mine never even fell and it's bent. It sits sunken down to the left when I'm just looking at it - it's really frustrating. The Apple store said they wouldn't fix it, even though I bought it like this.

alexstein
Mar 27, 2006, 10:06 PM
You can take it to an Apple Store they probably going to tell you that it is not covered under warranty since it was dropped. But asking can't hurt.

If the screen is still intact a hinge replacement itself is not that expensive. These guys (http://www.macservice.com/hinges.cfm?gclid=CN7rzZnigIQCFREISQodIWreiA) offer it for about $200.
If your LCD screen is damaged the repair cost will be around $600+.

xboiledeggx
Mar 28, 2006, 07:15 AM
I attached a pic of it i to let you know how subtle it is but its enough where it wont close unless i push it to the right.

calebjohnston
Mar 28, 2006, 08:23 AM
I assume the screen is lifted up in that picture? That's similar to the damage mine has. I didn't cause any of it, it was there since I bought it (as a refurb) and they won't fix it for me, at least not under warantee.

xboiledeggx
Mar 28, 2006, 09:32 AM
well it looks like im saving up for the new intel ibooks then cause i have OCD and im about ready to dump this laptop cause of this. =[

calebjohnston
Mar 28, 2006, 09:58 AM
I don't have OCD, but I do have anxiety, and I have the same issues with it. I'd love to return it and get a new one but I simply don't have the money.

ilovemyibook
Mar 29, 2006, 05:44 PM
I dropped my iBook last week it bent the lid to the left a little. A new hinge will cost $40 at the apple store. Thank God.

calebjohnston
Mar 29, 2006, 06:08 PM
Only 40? Nice.

VanMac
Mar 29, 2006, 06:36 PM
Drop it on the other side and see if it will bend back :rolleyes:

alexstein
Mar 29, 2006, 06:50 PM
I dropped my iBook last week it bent the lid to the left a little. A new hinge will cost $40 at the apple store. Thank God.

Is that just for the part? How much do they charge to put it in?

xboiledeggx
Apr 2, 2006, 06:58 PM
you sure its only 40 bucks does that cover the time they install it or what? I was about ready to open up my ibook and realign the hinge but i would take it to them again if they will do it for that.